Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX moves forward with plans for Concourse 0 and Terminal 9

LAX moves forward with plans for Concourse 0 and Terminal 9

Old May 13, 2019, 9:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This thread is about the new Concourse 0 addition to Terminal and a new Terminal 9 at LAX.

Pursuant to FlyerTalk Rule 5, please confine your comments in this thread as closely as possible to this subject matter. While some natural deviation from the topic of this thread is acceptable, when the focus of the discussion changes to the logistics of flying in and out of other area airports, it is time to take the conversation to another thread.

If you wish to discuss commuting to and flying out of or to ONT, LGB, SNA or BUR instead of LAX, please do so in one of the existing threads about those airports or start a new thread.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I posted updated environmental review documents in the construction thread but I realize it is more on point in this thread.

https://www.lawa.org/atmp/documents

Part of the project will involve wholesale realignment of the access roads leading into CTA.
Animation video of the new access road from south bound Sepulveda (from In-Out Burgers) heading into the airport:

Last edited by bzcat; Jun 2, 2021 at 10:29 pm
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bzcat
I posted updated environmental review documents in the construction thread but I realize it is more on point in this thread.

https://www.lawa.org/atmp/documents

Part of the project will involve wholesale realignment of the access roads leading into CTA.
Animation video of the new access road from south bound Sepulveda (from In-Out Burgers) heading into the airport: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P9u8tUuQjk
I'd call this "the oy vey route". Anyone catch all the 10 story parking structures and other buildings rendered outside of the CTA?

You'd drive over a mile in lame curvy loops just to go literally 0.1 miles south when instead of being able to get directly into the CTA from southbound Sepulveda. Can't wait for the traffic build ups at peak hours.

David
ryw likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
I'd call this "the oy vey route". Anyone catch all the 10 story parking structures and other buildings rendered outside of the CTA?

You'd drive over a mile in lame curvy loops just to go literally 0.1 miles south when instead of being able to get directly into the CTA from southbound Sepulveda. Can't wait for the traffic build ups at peak hours.

David
We discussed this before up thread. Basically, LAWA doesn't want you to drive into the CTA so they are taking you on this circuitous route, which is designed to provide plenty of hold capacity for peak travel time traffic jams. Anyone who has studied the map can see plainly that it will be much easier to drop off and pickup from ITF West which is the first APM station outside the CTA. There will be a massive drop off zone there.
ajGoes and chrisl137 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We discussed this before up thread. Basically, LAWA doesn't want you to drive into the CTA so they are taking you on this circuitous route, which is designed to provide plenty of hold capacity for peak travel time traffic jams. Anyone who has studied the map can see plainly that it will be much easier to drop off and pickup from ITF West which is the first APM station outside the CTA. There will be a massive drop off zone there.
That's only if you want to take the APM. This reminds me of the structural flaws in DEN, MCO, IAD, etc. where, in order to get to your flight - or, here in future LAX, your terminal - you'll have to add even more time to your travel because of these trains.

David

p.s. LAX/LAWA would have done better to have expanded the CTA to incorporate/build new terminals east in the old areas pre-1960 such as over at Century and Airport (i.e. further east of the future Terminal 9) to distribute the load and congestion and make an APM system efficient and effective. All they've done is add more bottlenecks. If they have the same problems that ORD is having with getting their train running, this will be a disaster.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even with a lot of zoom I can't quite tell what happens in that octopus of roadwork just north of T9. It looks kind of like there will be a ramp off Sepulveda just as you come out of the tunnel that will take you over to ITF West. It might still leave the tunnel as a bottleneck, but if the lane organization is good it might keep traffic to the ITF moving independent of traffic light cycles at Sepulveda & Century. It would be interesting to see if they've modeled it for thanksgiving weekend now and in 2030.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 1:37 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Oof, I wouldn't want to see the traffic caused by all the lane merging as part of that new CTA entrance from southbound Sepulveda. Does that then enclose the Hyatt Regency and some of the other airport hotels at that Century & Sepulveda corner completely by access ramps? Seems like it might make those hotels less appealing.

I wonder what freeway access to ITF west will be like. (Seems like ITF east would be more convenient if coming off the 405, but it seems like passenger pickup/dropoff will be concentrated at ITF west from what I can tell?)
prestonh likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With a little digging around I managed to find a more detailed graphic of the eventual roadway layout. It looks like there will indeed be an (almost?) intersection-free path from the north tunnel exit to the ITF-West. I don't think the lane changing will really be any worse than you have to do now/had to do to get to lot C or QuikPark, etc. It's not scheduled til Phase 2, so it won't be done until 2030, anyway. It does look like Phase 1 includes a useful extension of 98th St. all the way to the 405, including an intersection with Aviation. This will give a reasonable way to jump off the 105 and get to ITF-West without having to go through the tunnel.

bzcat and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
Oof, I wouldn't want to see the traffic caused by all the lane merging as part of that new CTA entrance from southbound Sepulveda. Does that then enclose the Hyatt Regency and some of the other airport hotels at that Century & Sepulveda corner completely by access ramps? Seems like it might make those hotels less appealing.

I wonder what freeway access to ITF west will be like. (Seems like ITF east would be more convenient if coming off the 405, but it seems like passenger pickup/dropoff will be concentrated at ITF west from what I can tell?)
You are correct vehicles existing 405 will be funneled to ITF East, and it will have a bigger drop off/pick up zone thant ITF West. From 405 South, the exit at La Cienega will go straight into a new street (98th) that will lead to ITF East which is located at 98th/Aviation. From 405 North, the current off ramp to Century will be maintained but there will be a new prefered right turn at Century/Concourse Way (mid block between La Cienega and Aviation) that direct most people to use ITF East.

ITF West is designed to handle drop off/pick up from Lincoln/Sepulveda/105, hotel shuttles, and long distance buses.

ITF East is designed to handle drop off/pickup from 405/La Cienega/Century, Metro rail and buses.
chrisl137 and ryw like this.

Last edited by bzcat; Jun 7, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ITF West is designed to handle drop off/pick up from Lincoln/Sepulveda/105, hotel shuttles, and long distance buses.

ITF East is designed to handle drop off/pickup from 405/La Cienega/Century, Metro rail and buses.
Part of the appeal of ITF West is that it's walkable from the CTA if necessary.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Part of the appeal of ITF West is that it's walkable from the CTA if necessary.
That's if LAWA even thought that folks were going to walk between ITF West and the CTA much less getting across what remains of Sepulveda. All of those ramps and roads may make it even harder if not impossible - especially during construction.

David
ryw likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's if LAWA even thought that folks were going to walk between ITF West and the CTA much less getting across what remains of Sepulveda. All of those ramps and roads may make it even harder if not impossible - especially during construction.
I've been walking it at least a couple times a month for the past year and it looks worse than it is. I usually park at QuikPark and walk - I've never taken their bus. The nicest way through from Sepulveda is to go along Sepulveda til you get to the walkway that leads into the park with the flag, then you go left or right just after you pass the dropoff circle for the admin building and it puts you on the LAXit walking route. I'm usually walking from T6, so I go out of two ways - either go to the end of T7 and then just straight out to Sepulveda (requires a short walk on a use trail across some landscape) or walk as if going to LAXit and then turn right at the admin building just after crossing Center Way, and that takes you out through the flag park.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 4:42 pm

Pedestrian access to/from CTA and is actually one of the main improvements of LAMP project.

This is why cars are being diverted away from street level on entering and exiting CTA. More of the streets will be allocated to wider sidewalks and bike lane all around LAX as well as better crosswalks.
VickiSoCal, ajGoes and ryw like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pedestrian access to/from CTA and is actually one of the main improvements of LAMP project.

This is why cars are being diverted away from street level on entering and exiting CTA. More of the streets will be allocated to wider sidewalks and bike lane all around LAX as well as better crosswalks.
Uh, bike to LAX? Why?

David
Old Jun 8, 2021, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uh, bike to LAX? Why?
Probably mostly for workers so they don't have to pay for parking and save shuttle bus time getting to/from work.

PDX you can fly in with a bicycle, assemble it in the bike assembly area, store your box in a paid luggage storage area and ride away. And it rains a lot most of the year there. LAX is in a flat area with essentially perfect year round biking weather.
jerry a. laska and ajGoes like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.