Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Is the Hidden TBIT L1 TSA Security Checkpoint Still Open?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

For those stuck flying a non PreCheck carrier out of TBIT, the "transit" security entrance on the south (left) side of the arrivals level in TBIT is still up and running. During the Christmas holiday my family and I were flying on Fiji and saw the normal lines bursting at the seams, so we took the elevator down to Arrivals level and entered the secret "transit" (but open to anyone) TSA checkpoint. There was a "bouncer" at the front to make it look like the checkpoint was closed. Of course, when asked, they let us in. The ID checker seemed to be genuinely disappointed to have to work, and the bag checkers also tried to make life miserable for anyone who dare intrude upon their secret lair. Nevertheless, we passed through in minutes and avoided the heavy lines at the normal entry point. 👍
hypebeast likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:30 am

It's open, but the hours are limited. It's usually closed for the late evening/midnight Trans Pacific departures.

It's usually set up for heavy arrival times for connecting passengers as passengers have to re-clear to connect, not departure times where any connecting passengers are already airside as they're likely to be from domestic flights.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Hidden Security Checkpoint in Bradley Terminal

Best Kept Secret at LAX (circa 2017)

Is this checkpoint still in operation? Thank you.

FWIW, last night after starting this thread I posted the same question in the comments section of Matthew’s 2017 blog entry (linked above). His reply timed 11 minutes later is “Yes.” Thank you Matthew.
chrisl137 likes this.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Oct 30, 2022 at 9:21 am Reason: FWIW added
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Best Kept Secret at LAX (circa 2017)

Is this checkpoint still in operation? Thank you.

FWIW, last night after starting this thread I posted the same question in the comments section of Matthew’s 2017 blog entry (linked above). His reply timed 11 minutes later is “Yes.” Thank you Matthew.
Never tried that one. But I was using CLEAR+Pre in TBIT to get into T4 for a while when T4 CLEAR was closed due to construction. It was always very quick.
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Based on the post above, it looks like the secret checkpoint is still in operation--it's been many years since we've taken it, but it's very helpful. But can anyone tell me the hours or direct me to a link that lists hours for the various TSA checkpoints? If such a link exists, I can't seem to find it. Flying out of TBIT on a late night on Fiji Airways, which doesn't have pre-check, although hoping to clear security no later than 8:30 pm.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:28 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by mtimmer
Based on the post above, it looks like the secret checkpoint is still in operation--it's been many years since we've taken it, but it's very helpful. But can anyone tell me the hours or direct me to a link that lists hours for the various TSA checkpoints? If such a link exists, I can't seem to find it. Flying out of TBIT on a late night on Fiji Airways, which doesn't have pre-check, although hoping to clear security no later than 8:30 pm.
An alternative at 8:30pm is use the American Airlines security entrance in T-4. Once you are through you will be able to walk to the central part of Bradley in under ten minutes.
mtimmer and hypebeast like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
When I was in TBIT the path to T4 from baggage claim was no longer there, and you had to go outside.

this used to be the quick, short TSA line that you could get back into TBIT airside. Is it still gone?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
When I was in TBIT the path to T4 from baggage claim was no longer there, and you had to go outside.

this used to be the quick, short TSA line that you could get back into TBIT airside. Is it still gone?
It's still there but has erratic operating hours, probably due to staffing shortage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.