Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Decent hotels near LAX/UCLA or neighborhood

Old May 14, 18, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Could you name a few decent but affordable hotels near LAX/UCLA or neighborhood?
I thought 15mile radius is fine as long as driving is also reasonable?
Looking for a 2 week night stay.
Old May 14, 18, 10:38 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
UCLA is in Westwood and other than the Kimpton Palomar, I’m not aware of anything of decent quality in that area. Century City is close by with more hotels. As far as LAX, there’s a ton of posts on that topic. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-...d-threads.html

15 miles in LA can be over an hour in traffic; depending where you are in relation to where you want to be and time of day.
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 14, 18, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT 1.75MM, Hyatt-Discoverist, Starriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
UCLA is in Westwood and other than the Kimpton Palomar, I’m not aware of anything of decent quality in that area. Century City is close by with more hotels. As far as LAX, there’s a ton of posts on that topic. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-...d-threads.html

15 miles in LA can be over an hour in traffic; depending where you are in relation to where you want to be and time of day.
There is also a W hotel in Westwood.

My in-laws have stayed at Hilgard House (also in Westwood) and said it is fairly acceptable. Rates are much more moderate than some of the others around.
princeville likes this.

Last edited by Trustguy; May 14, 18 at 10:51 am Reason: clarification
Old May 14, 18, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trustguy View Post
There is also a W hotel in Westwood.
You mean Westin Hotel?
Old May 14, 18, 11:14 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Old May 14, 18, 11:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by sciconf View Post
Could you name a few decent but affordable hotels near LAX/UCLA or neighborhood?
I thought 15mile radius is fine as long as driving is also reasonable?
Looking for a 2 week night stay.
Depending on what you need to do during those 2 weeknights, you might be casting too wide of a net with a 15-mi radius. As someone else posted, 15-mi in that neighborhood can translate to 1-hour in traffic in each direction.
Can you give us an idea of where you need to be each day and at what time of day? Directionally, that'll help narrow down your search.
Old May 14, 18, 12:11 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
IF I were to fly into LAX with easy access to UCLA, I'd choose Santa Monica.

Used to live and work in SM during my college years.
The only issue is traffic on the 405 is awful day or night, 24x7, 365...
From Santa Monica, you can take the streets to UCLA quite quickly.
Santa Monica is so much nicer with a better police dept (SMPD) - instead of LAPD West LA nearby...
It's close to the beach and you can walk there!
I liked this place the best for the money in the high end west side of LA when I had my parents visit:The Georgian Hotel
Old May 14, 18, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
What's your budget? Will you have a car?

Take a look at this map. There are quite a few affordable motels, e.g., Holiday Inn Express, Days Inn and Comfort Inn, on Santa Monica Blvd within a few miles of UCLA. The ones which I listed as examples are on the Big Blue Bus line from Santa Monica to UCLA.

Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Used to live and work in SM during my college years.
The only issue is traffic on the 405 is awful day or night, 24x7, 365...
From Santa Monica, you can take the streets to UCLA quite quickly.
I don't know how how long ago that was. East-West surface street traffic on the west side is now gridlocked mornings and afternoons and it can easily take an hour to drive from the beach to the 405.
princeville likes this.
Old May 15, 18, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check whether UCLA rents dorm rooms (some of which might be suite or apartment style rather than just standard rooms with bathroom down the hall) to the general public during the summer. Some of the UC campuses do this and it's decent cheap housing, but there can be restricted hours for check in and check out.
Old May 16, 18, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I'm not sure whether "Santa Monica" and "affordable" can be used in the same sentence. One exception would be the Santa Monica youth hostel, but that type of accommodation may not be to your liking. It does have some private rooms, but they seem to be frequently booked solid -- gee, I wonder why?

On the other hand, there are many decent hotels around LAX that are fairly affordable (lots of the standard chain hotels, for example). As others have pointed out, traffic (especially on freeways like the 405) can be very congested, so that has to be taken into account when figuring your driving times to/from the LAX area.
AmericanCasey likes this.
Old May 16, 18, 8:40 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf View Post
I'm not sure whether "Santa Monica" and "affordable" can be used in the same sentence.
The Days Inn and the Comfort Inn on Santa Monica Blvd in Santa Monica can be booked for as low as $161 a night. I doubt that is more than most LAX area hotels and motels.
Old May 19, 18, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Luxe on Sunset

http://www.luxehotels.com/sunset

Last edited by Phil Level; May 19, 18 at 3:00 pm
Old May 20, 18, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by sciconf View Post
You mean Westin Hotel?
No, W and Westin are two different hotel brands. Both are part of Starwood.

The OP still hasn't clarified what was meant by "decent but affordable." Clearly, different posters on this thread have different ideas of what price level is "affordable." (And for that matter, "decent" also means different things to different people.)

Last edited by TWA884; May 20, 18 at 7:54 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member for readability
Old May 20, 18, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf View Post
No, W and Westin are two different hotel brands. Both are part of Starwood.

The OP still hasn't clarified what was meant by "decent but affordable." Clearly, different posters on this thread have different ideas of what price level is "affordable." (And for that matter, "decent" also means different things to different people.)
I agree with Kathy.

I prefer the Luxe, however I just looked at the Hotel Angelino website and they offer a free shuttle to UCLA campus, which might be a nice perq (and save some $ parking at UCLA).

https://www.hotelangeleno.com/hotels...cla-campus.php

Hotel Angeleno also offers discounted rates for those looking for hotels near UCLA Medical Center or for those UCLA Visitors looking for hotels.
Simply call our reservations and ask for the UCLA Visitor or Medical Rates.
Old May 20, 18, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Hotel Angeleno is the ancient round Holiday Inn off of the 405.

Have a look at The Brentwood In on Sunset west of the 405.
obscure2k likes this.

Search this Thread