Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Santa Monica hotel - Is this a decent choice?

Old Apr 27, 18, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I am looking to take a weeks vacation in LA (for the first time) in the run up to Christmas, and just looking for some advice please on my hotel choice...

I am hoping that I have chosen the right area, as I am looking at Santa Monica (as I like beach areas and scenic views etc), and the hotel I am looking at is the Shore Hotel (with a King Ocean View room)...Is this a good choice, or are there better hotels to go for?

Appreciate the help...

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 18, 11:00 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by KevinM99 View Post
Hello,

I am looking to take a weeks vacation in LA (for the first time) in the run up to Christmas, and just looking for some advice please on my hotel choice...

I am hoping that I have chosen the right area, as I am looking at Santa Monica (as I like beach areas and scenic views etc), and the hotel I am looking at is the Shore Hotel (with a King Ocean View room)...Is this a good choice, or are there better hotels to go for?

Appreciate the help...

Thanks!
You can't get too much closer to the beach than that hotel. You're right at the top of the Santa Monica Pier, easy walk to a light rail station, easy walk to 3rd St. Promenade, Palisades Park is a nice bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean and beach with stairs and walkways over Pacific Coast Highway to get to the actual beach itself. A lot of new restaurants in the area also. Downsides, you'll have a ton of street folk/transients in that area. They're usually not violent but a lot of them are mentally ill and can be disturbing.
KevinM99 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 18, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SWCPHX View Post
You can't get too much closer to the beach than that hotel. You're right at the top of the Santa Monica Pier, easy walk to a light rail station, easy walk to 3rd St. Promenade, Palisades Park is a nice bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean and beach with stairs and walkways over Pacific Coast Highway to get to the actual beach itself. A lot of new restaurants in the area also. Downsides, you'll have a ton of street folk/transients in that area. They're usually not violent but a lot of them are mentally ill and can be disturbing.
Thanks for the mini review...the area sounds great...just what we are looking for, but the "off-beat" locals sounds a bit off putting...I guess we would get that same situation at any hotel along the Santa Monica seafront area?
Old Apr 27, 18, 3:09 pm

<misquote deleted by moderator>

Fixed it for you. Yes, Santa Monica has a lot of homeless people. Not nearly as bad as say Union Square in San Francisco or the Skid Row area around Union Station in Downtown LA but their presence is greatly felt around the area of Ocean and Colorado where you plan on staying.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 27, 18 at 5:40 pm Reason: FIFY is against the FlyerTalk Rules
Old Apr 27, 18, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Fixed it for you. Yes, Santa Monica has a lot of homeless people. Not nearly as bad as say Union Square in San Francisco or the Skid Row area around Union Station in Downtown LA but their presence is greatly felt around the area of Ocean and Colorado where you plan on staying.
Thanks Having visited Union Square in San Fran, and if Santa Monica is not as bad as that (I was OK with US in San Fran), maybe it would be fine...

My two hotel choices seem to have come down to:

a) Shore Hotel, King Ocean View or:
b) DoubleTree Suites Santa Monica...King Executive Suite Ocean view...

I do read Tripadvisor, but always take reviews with a very large pinch of salt...but Shore comes in at #5 best hotel in Santa Monica, with Doubltree #6...though Shore Hotel comes in about $75 extra per night over the 6 nights for me...

If I can live with the vagrancy, then I don't think either choice will be a bad choice...but once the choice is made, it's a non changeable reservation (to get the decent price), so I just want to make sure I get it right...

Thanks for the help
Old Apr 27, 18, 3:33 pm

Thanks Having visited Union Square in San Fran, and if Santa Monica is not as bad as that (I was OK with US in San Fran), maybe it would be fine...

My two hotel choices seem to have come down to:

a) Shore Hotel, King Ocean View or:
b) DoubleTree Suites Santa Monica...King Executive Suite Ocean view...

I do read Tripadvisor, but always take reviews with a very large pinch of salt...but Shore comes in at #5 best hotel in Santa Monica, with Doubltree #6...though Shore Hotel comes in about $75 extra per night over the 6 nights for me...

If I can live with the vagrancy, then I don't think either choice will be a bad choice...but once the choice is made, it's a non changeable reservation (to get the decent price), so I just want to make sure I get it right...

Thanks for the help
In that case, no brainer, take the Double Tree and save yourself $450 over the course of your stay. They are effectively about two long city blocks away from each other. The Double Tree will have better security, it's next to the high school which if they have band practice before school like they used to might be an issue, and you can still walk easily to Santa Monica Pier and everything else that I mentioned above.

And the Double Tree is a Hilton property if you are a member of their loyalty program. Shore is an independent and has none as far as I know.
KevinM99 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 18, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

In that case, no brainer, take the Double Tree and save yourself $450 over the course of your stay. They are effectively about two long city blocks away from each other. The Double Tree will have better security, it's next to the high school which if they have band practice before school like they used to might be an issue, and you can still walk easily to Santa Monica Pier and everything else that I mentioned above.

And the Double Tree is a Hilton property if you are a member of their loyalty program. Shore is an independent and has none as far as I know.
Thanks! That's the kind of useful information I get from local information, and not skewed tripadvisor reviews...That $450 saving will pay for my Eagles/Rams game ticket on the Sunday evening...assuming I can source one!

Appreciate the help, thanks!
Old Apr 27, 18, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
I think it is a good choice. Central to everything in Santa Monica. I like Main St, which is a bit further south, but a short Uber or a bit longer walk.
You can rent a bike right below the pier and bike down to Venice.
You can take the light rail right into downtown LA. Sometimes faster than a car.
Old Apr 27, 18, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
I think it is a good choice. Central to everything in Santa Monica. I like Main St, which is a bit further south, but a short Uber or a bit longer walk.
You can rent a bike right below the pier and bike down to Venice.
You can take the light rail right into downtown LA. Sometimes faster than a car.
Thanks...our plan isn't to hire a car...we do like walking, so a walk to the pier or Venice Beach etc are not a problem, and providing it isn't raining () it would be a very pleasant stroll along the beachfront to the various locations...

If we do go (and we will) further afield, we will just use local transport or taxis...Looking forward to visiting LA...I wonder if it ever gets a Christmas "vibe" with this being the week before Christmas...we do like the Christmas markets that we frequent the East coast (Philly and New York etc) when we visit there in December...

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 18, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

OK...all booked up! 8 days (7 nights) at the DoubleTree Suites, Santa Monica...Ocean View King Suite, and 2 x return flights, EDI to LAX in First with British Airways (on the A380...first trip in one of those)...BA have some extremely attractive prices on their site at the mo, and couldn't resist...

Looking forward to some Californian Winter Sunshine!

Thanks for all of the help!
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 28, 18, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
OK...all booked up! 8 days (7 nights) at the DoubleTree Suites, Santa Monica...Ocean View King Suite...
You are not going to get much of an ocean view from that hotel. It is a few blocks from the beach and is right across 4th Street from the Santa Monica Civic Center, including relatively new parking structure and police station which probably block the view from most of the rooms. The RAND Corporation building on Main Street probably blocks the view from the rest of the rooms.

Did you consider Casa del Mar, Shutters, JW Marriott Le Merigot or Loews? Those are on or almost on the sand.
Old Apr 28, 18, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
You are not going to get much of an ocean view from that hotel. It is a few blocks from the beach and is right across 4th Street from the Santa Monica Civic Center, including relatively new parking structure and police station which probably block the view from most of the rooms. The RAND Corporation building on Main Street probably blocks the view from the rest of the rooms.

Did you consider Casa del Mar, Shutters, JW Marriott Le Merigot or Loews? Those are on or almost on the sand.
No...not really...Not having ever been to Los Angeles before, I had no idea where to stay (in Santa Monica)...I was advised that this hotel was better than the Shore Hotel (which was my other choice)...Ah well...too late now...I'll just have to live with it
Old Apr 30, 18, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Some rooms on the upper floor of Doubletree will have ocean view but it is about 4 blocks away so you won't see the beach. But I think it is fine choice. You can walk down to the beach in about 5 minutes.

You definitely don't need a rental car if you plan to spend most of the time just walking around the beach and relax. And a few tourist attractions in land from Santa Monica are within easy reach of either Metro rail or bus.

There won't be a huge Christmas vibe in Santa Monica but Santa Monica Place (the outdoor shopping mall at 4th Street and Colorado Ave) should have a tree and lots of festive display.

There are some homeless people in Santa Monica but generally speaking, they are not a problem. Santa Monica has high foot traffic all day and night so there is safety in numbers... you will be fine as long as you don't find yourself in a dark alley in Venice Beach at 3 AM... that's when the crazy mentally disturbed homeless come out to play The homeless camp out on the lawn in front of Santa Monica city hall or next to Ocean blvd at night but the city is fairly aggressive about clearing them during the day.
Old May 1, 18, 3:17 pm

We stayed at the Doubletree last October. It was not bad, but not exactly a beach hotel. You can see the ocean but it is really far away (only 0.5 mile but looks far). I am not sure about walking to the beach in 5 min...unless you are a really fast walker and lucky on all the lights. It is probably about 10 min to the beach not too bad. Parking there was not cheap, but so do most of the hotels in the area. It is close to the light rail station, so it is possible to do without a car.

Search this Thread