FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   How early to get to airport/Hotels with early breakfast (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1903303-how-early-get-airport-hotels-early-breakfast.html)

mel2012 Apr 10, 2018 4:24 pm

How early to get to airport/Hotels with early breakfast

We are flying out of LAX in November on a Singapore Air flight leaving at 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning. We are flying down Friday night from Sacramento and planning to spend the night in an airport-area hotel. I know it's early to plan, but I'm looking at hotels and, in connection with that, I have a two-part question:
(1) How early should we plan to be at the airport?
We will have checked baggage, but will be checking in online and already have seat assignments and boarding passes, so just need to drop of the bags.
We have Global Entry, and I'm planning to try the secret "trick" of using the arrival level security check point or going over to Terminal 4 to go through security rather than waiting in the main cattle call line.

With those facts in mind, when should we target to arrive at the airport? I'm assuming we don't really need to be there 3 hours in advance. My standard is usually about 2 hours, but since I've heard LAX can be a nightmare, I'm wondering if I need to plan to be there earlier?

(2) Assuming we need to leave the hotel no later than 6:30, any ideas of airport hotels with free breakfast that start serving early?

Thanks!

Need Apr 11, 2018 10:11 am

I only fly out of TBIT once a year or so, but do they still do that baggage scanning thing? I remember that you have to first line up at the airline counter to get your baggage weighted and tagged. After that you have to following someone who will wheel your luggage to the line of the scanner to wait for it to be scanned. That line could get really long if the terminal is busy.

Eastbay1K Apr 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Need (Post 29628590)
I only fly out of TBIT once a year or so, but do they still do that baggage scanning thing? I remember that you have to first line up at the airline counter to get your baggage weighted and tagged. After that you have to following someone who will wheel your luggage to the line of the scanner to wait for it to be scanned. That line could get really long if the terminal is busy.

It has been quite some time since I've had to do that nonsense. As for the OP, the transit time to TBIT can be horrible. Traffic into the terminal is a joke. At certain times, walking is faster than being in a vehicle. Also, the last time I used the downstairs to T4 security checkpoint (afternoon, almost a month ago) it took about a half hour. The prior time (December, early afternoon) it was quick.

Can't help you with breakfast. I'd figure the "Express" hotels (with comp breakfast for everyone) have something out at 6am.

bzcat Apr 13, 2018 12:00 pm

Which hotel are you staying at near LAX? That could make a big difference.

I think you need to be at the SQ counter at least 90 minutes prior to departure to drop off the bags.