Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Looking for the impossible SPG/Marriott property

Old Apr 8, 18, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Hey there will be in LA area for 7 days in October-ish. I will have approx 200K Mariott points by then. I am undecided if will use Air BnB or SPG/Marriott points. Will have a car and from what I can tell any decent location hotel wise will have $30 - $40 per day parking. Is there an spg/marriott property that is in a decent location for us with free parking?

We will do the following
-day in hollywood
-beach day
-Universal day
-hike up to Hollywood sign
-day out in Malibu

These are of course all spread out and we know LA traffic is notorious too....

What about Long Beach as a possibility?

Last edited by thedude99; Apr 8, 18 at 2:58 pm Reason: add info
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:40 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
I would say that most SPG/Marriott property in the LA region have paid parking. I would look for a hotel that has reduced parking fees.

Looking at your list of activities, I would stay away from the Long Beach area. While it is a great place to visit and explore, you'll be spending a lot of time in your car if you intend on visiting the places you listed. I would recommend areas such as El Segundo, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Downtown? El Segundo is close to the beach and also freeway close. Hotels can be moderately priced with decent parking fees. Springhill Suites by Marriott located on Aviation blvd and Aloft El Segundo are two examples. Santa Monica might be tough to find anything with decent parking rates, just about everything there is expensive.
Old Apr 13, 18, 9:12 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage PPRO, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
A friend has stayed near LA Live in this Residence Inn for not too much money and enjoyed his stay. You'll probably have to pay to park though.

Downtown LA Residence Inn
Old Apr 13, 18, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Sheraton Cerritos has free parking. I'm pretty sure it's the closest SPG property that has free parking. If you want to drive in LA, you got to pay for parking. If you don't want to pay, you need to stay in the suburbs.
Old Apr 17, 18, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by OTD View Post
A friend has stayed near LA Live in this Residence Inn for not too much money and enjoyed his stay. You'll probably have to pay to park though.

Downtown LA Residence Inn
That's a category 8 hotel, normally 40,000 points per night. (And every time I've checked cash rates there, they run about $300 per night and up, even WITH discounts such as AAA, Senior, etc. "Not too much money?")

On the other hand, the LAX airport area is somewhat "centrally" located and hotel prices tend to be lower.
Old Apr 18, 18, 7:49 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage PPRO, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf View Post
That's a category 8 hotel, normally 40,000 points per night. (And every time I've checked cash rates there, they run about $300 per night and up, even WITH discounts such as AAA, Senior, etc. "Not too much money?")

On the other hand, the LAX airport area is somewhat "centrally" located and hotel prices tend to be lower.
Sorry about that. I know my friend didn't pay $300 a night, but he may have gotten some odd deal.
Old Apr 18, 18, 2:42 pm

If those are you only activities, you may not even need to have a car. You can take an Uber from LAX to a hotel at Santa Monica. From there you get Santa Monica and Venice Beach. Take light rail to downtown to connect to red line. Red line to Hollywood and Universal. I guess you will have to rent a car for a day for Malibu or you could take Uber. Normally I tell people they need a car in LA but your activities seem to be pretty concentrated.
Old Apr 24, 18, 7:15 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Depending on what you are willing to walk, you can actually get some reasonable parking rates in downtown LA. Parking at the World Trade Center which is connected to the Bonnaventure is $24 per day so a lot more reasonable than the hotel rate. Pershing square is something like $12 per day and easy walking distance to the Sheraton.
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by LupineChemist View Post
Depending on what you are willing to walk, you can actually get some reasonable parking rates in downtown LA. Parking at the World Trade Center which is connected to the Bonnaventure is $24 per day so a lot more reasonable than the hotel rate. Pershing square is something like $12 per day and easy walking distance to the Sheraton.
...But generally speaking, hotel room rates in DTLA aren't reasonable these days, whether in points or cash.

Search this Thread