LAX Santa Ana winds

Old Dec 5, 17, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

LAX Santa Ana winds

I'm flying NY to LA arriving Thursday morning. Looks like very strong Santa Ana winds are forecasted. How 'rough' will the approach be? I'm not very good with regular turbulence!
Old Dec 5, 17, 6:41 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold; & some other useless titles
Due to modified approaches to the airport that are often in place during heavy wind and smoke periods, it probably won't be extraordinarily bumpy. It is possible that landings will be to the east (from over the ocean), which will also temper bumps.

I just looked at wind speeds taken at 4pm PST, and it was only 10MPH at LAX. In the San Fernando Valley which is where Santa Ana winds tend to really scream, at the same time Van Nuys Airport was at 28MPH, and Burbank was 23MPH. There is a massive wind driven fire not terribly far north of BUR, BTW.
Old Dec 5, 17, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 17, 10:10 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, AS
I flew SFO-SNA yesterday and it was fairly bumpy the whole ride. One of the hardest landings I've ever experienced. I think the high wind warning ends on Thursday though, so you might get lucky?
Old Dec 7, 17, 10:45 pm

I flew out of BUR this morning and it was pretty smooth, though I think mornings are usually pretty quiet when we have Santa Anas. I didn't see anything posted this week about delays at BUR due to winds. I did get delayed out of SFO today because winds were unfavorable and they were only using 3 runways.
Old Dec 9, 17, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Polytonic View Post
I flew SFO-SNA yesterday and it was fairly bumpy the whole ride. One of the hardest landings I've ever experienced. I think the high wind warning ends on Thursday though, so you might get lucky?
I actually heard that the Santa Ana wind conditions won't start dying down until tomorrow (Sunday).

Search this Thread