Reload this Page >

I just want to dance!!! (in LA)

Old Nov 25, 17, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

My lady and I want to go dancing.
We'll be in LA / Hollywood soon on a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday night.

(All my search results tell me about clubs only on Friday & Saturday, or house parties, or bottle service, or VIP tables, or needing to tip a doorman in the hopes of maybe, maybe, getting in.)

We have no problem paying a hefty cover charge if it's going to be a good time, and if there's no lineup bulls___.
We also don't want to arrive too early, when nothing is happening, or too late, when we can't get in.

Is there somewhere that two tourists can go on a Monday or Tuesday, and just walk in, pay our money and go dancing?
What time should we arrive?

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 17, 12:49 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

What kind of dancing are you looking for? Salsa/bachata? Ballroom? EDM?
Old Nov 26, 17, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
What kind of dancing are you looking for? Salsa/bachata? Ballroom? EDM?
Just looking for popular music.
EDM / house will do.

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 17, 2:06 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Popular clubs in LA are Exchange LA, the Avalon, the Mayan, and Elevate Lounge. Those are just off the top of my head, but there are others. On the Sunset strip in West Hollywood, you can just walk and listen for music and find a bar with a dance floor or an actual club, although those tend to be smaller.

I've never had to tip a doorman or deal with any such shenanigans. Just ask how much the cover charge is, pay it, and go in. Note that in California it's illegal to charge a higher cover charge based on gender. Also note that by state law, alcohol cannot be served past 2 AM, so the peak time is 12-2 AM. If you arrive around 10 or so, you should have a good crowd and get in a few hours of dancing.
Old Nov 26, 17, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
Popular clubs in LA are Exchange LA, the Avalon, the Mayan, and Elevate Lounge. Those are just off the top of my head, but there are others. On the Sunset strip in West Hollywood, you can just walk and listen for music and find a bar with a dance floor or an actual club, although those tend to be smaller.

I've never had to tip a doorman or deal with any such shenanigans. Just ask how much the cover charge is, pay it, and go in. Note that in California it's illegal to charge a higher cover charge based on gender. Also note that by state law, alcohol cannot be served past 2 AM, so the peak time is 12-2 AM. If you arrive around 10 or so, you should have a good crowd and get in a few hours of dancing.
Thank you for the good advice about what's legal and what's not.

Avalon Hollywood appears to have some programmed night most Mondays with bands. Tuesdays, there's nothing on the calendar.
Exchange LA, Mayan, Elevate: closed Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.

Maybe cruise ships have spoiled me.
Any night of the week at 11:00 pm I could walk to a top deck and find a club with 100 people who are just there to dance to recorded popular music.
Does this exist in southern California on a Monday or Tuesday?
Old Nov 27, 17, 12:13 am

What dates will you be visiting?
Old Nov 27, 17, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by touringuy View Post
What dates will you be visiting?
EDITED:
Mon Jan 1 and Tue Jan 2.

Last edited by jerry305; Nov 27, 17 at 9:31 am Reason: I'm asking about Monday and Tuesday
Old Nov 27, 17, 9:21 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jerry305 View Post
New Year's Eve, and Mon Jan 1 and Tue Jan 2.
I'm sure that all those places will be open on New Year's Eve. Most will have have special programming. Expect them to sell out.

The Exchange LA, for example, is already selling tickets for the their event:
Exchange LA - Insomniac presents NYE feat. Gareth Emery (Extended Set)
Old Nov 27, 17, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
I'm sure that all those places will be open on New Year's Eve. Most will have have special programming. Expect them to sell out.

The Exchange LA, for example, is already selling tickets for the their event:
Exchange LA - Insomniac presents NYE feat. Gareth Emery (Extended Set)

Thanks.
I've edited my previous reply. New Year's Eve is a travel day for me.

I'm asking for Monday January 1 and Tuesday January 2.
Is there somewhere, in LA, to go dancing, on a Monday or Tuesday night?
Old Nov 27, 17, 10:39 pm

I don't really go dancing but do go see live music (though lately work has gotten in the way). Mondays always seemed like karaoke night, and sometimes "residency" night where a relatively new band will do a month of mondays or few of every other or something like that. There are also always bands coming through (there can be about 1000 bands/week playing LA, for real)

Your best bet is probably to check out the LA Weekly calendar - it used to have a better filter (I wrote code to slurp the categories I wanted, so I knew it pretty well), but if you click on the "concerts' tab and select "DJ" and "EDM" it should give you listings. Right now it shows a lot on Dec 31 and then not much tip Feb, so it could be that nobody's submitted data yet for January (or their engine isn't displaying it - it's occasionally been buggy, and they seem to restructure the layout and engine every few years). Keep looking as January approaches and see what shows up.
Old Nov 27, 17, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137 View Post
I don't really go dancing but do go see live music (though lately work has gotten in the way). Mondays always seemed like karaoke night, and sometimes "residency" night where a relatively new band will do a month of mondays or few of every other or something like that. There are also always bands coming through (there can be about 1000 bands/week playing LA, for real)

Your best bet is probably to check out the LA Weekly calendar - it used to have a better filter (I wrote code to slurp the categories I wanted, so I knew it pretty well), but if you click on the "concerts' tab and select "DJ" and "EDM" it should give you listings. Right now it shows a lot on Dec 31 and then not much tip Feb, so it could be that nobody's submitted data yet for January (or their engine isn't displaying it - it's occasionally been buggy, and they seem to restructure the layout and engine every few years). Keep looking as January approaches and see what shows up.
I will give this a shot. Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 17, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305 View Post
I will give this a shot. Thanks!
One hitch just popped up in my recommended plan - the LA Weekly was just sold to a group of unknown buyers and they fired most of the editors right off. Whether the listings will be maintained in the near or long term is uncertain. Keep an eye on them anyway, but don't stop checking other sources.
Old Dec 1, 17, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Here in LA, we just dance on Freeway ramps:

DavidDTW likes this.
Old Dec 17, 17, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137 View Post

I have found lots of band listings.
I have found nothing that points me to somewhere that two people can expect to walk into and just find somewhere to dance.

Isn't there a top 40 bar or something?
I'm not looking for fancy: we'll drive to a neighbourhood bar in Reseda or Ontario or wherever.

We just want recorded dance music, and a place where the people inside are having fun.

But really, isn't there some top 40 bar?
Old Dec 17, 17, 8:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Take a look at this article:
12 LA Bars Where You Can Dance

Are there actually places in LA where you can get your groove on and not have to sell your self-worth to get into? Yes. But they sure aren’t easy to track down. So we’ve done the dirty work for you. Here are the 12 best bars where you can actually dance.
There are also listings on Yelp:
Best bars that you can dance at Los Angeles, CA

Best Bars With Dancing in Los Angeles, CA
jerry305 likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 17, 17 at 9:05 am

Search this Thread