FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Reasonable Motels in Hollywood/LAX area (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1872544-reasonable-motels-hollywood-lax-area.html)

DaileyB Oct 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Reasonable Motels in Hollywood/LAX area

As I posted earlier, I will almost certainly be visiting Hollywood around Dec. 26-Jan. 1, this year. Can anyone suggest reasonably priced, clean motels in the Hollywood/LAX area?

coloneltigh Oct 17, 2017 2:24 pm

I've not sure what you define as reasonably priced. My girlfriend and I usually stay in the Agoura Hills/Calabasas area when we are in LA. There are several hotels in the $150-$200/night range in that area that we stay at. It's a bit of a drive but we're not so much into the metro LA scene so much so it doesn't really bother us since we hardly ever go downtown.

dbuckho Oct 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Keep an eye out for Pacifica Hotels Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. They own a number of hotels in the Marina Del Rey area just north or LAX. My parents have stayed at several of them when visiting us in Santa Monica. There have been some great Cyber Monday sale rates in years past that I would call very reasonable for the area.

TWA884 Oct 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by DaileyB (Post 28943933)
Can anyone suggest reasonably priced, clean motels in the Hollywood/LAX area?

We have a thread discussing LAX hotels:
Many of the studios are located in the San Fernando Valley. Hotels and motels there are more reasonably priced than in Hollywood. You should check Studio City, North Hollywood and Burbank for accommodations; those are much closer to Hollywood than LAX and are home to many studios, including Warner Brothers, Universal, Disney, CBS and more.

jaymar01 Oct 17, 2017 5:31 pm

I've always been struck by how many affordable AirBnb listings there are in LA. You might want to check that out.

JBD Oct 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by DaileyB (Post 28943933)
As I posted earlier, I will almost certainly be visiting Hollywood around Dec. 26-Jan. 1, this year. Can anyone suggest reasonably priced, clean motels in the Hollywood/LAX area?

I may have some suggestions, but can you please give us your per night price range? ("Reasonably priced" can be quite subjective).

And also, what room set up are you looking for? Two connecting rooms, or one room that can accommodate 3 beds, etc.

Originally Posted by jaymar01 (Post 28944771)
I've always been struck by how many affordable AirBnb listings there are in LA. You might want to check that out.

Good suggestion. This could be a great alternative to a motel, you could rent an entire apartment so that your teenage daughter and son - and you - could have more space and individual privacy.

PTravel Oct 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Please note that LAX is not near Hollywood nor, for that matter, the other attractions in LA. Agoura Hills and Calabasas are not, in the least, practical for visiting the LA area. The San Fernando Valley is huge, but areas like Sherman Oaks, Studio City and Burbank, all of which are in the San Fernando Valley, are just over the hill from Downtown, Hollywood and West Los Angeles (give or take). Finally, please understand that there is very little in Hollywood proper that is of interest. There are a lot of studios in Hollywood, but the only one open for tours is Paramount. Universal and Warner Brothers are open for tours, but they're "over the hill" in the San Fernando Valley.

What, exactly, are you interested in seeing and doing on your visit?

DaileyB Oct 17, 2017 11:44 pm

Motels

JBD: "I may have some suggestions, but can you please give us your per night price range? ("Reasonably priced" can be quite subjective)."

It is hard to say. However, several years ago, I was able to stay in a clean Motel 6 in Carpinteria (Santa Barbara County) for about$65-&75 Expect it will probably be more expensive in LA. Thinking $75 to $125 per night.

"And also, what room set up are you looking for? Two connecting rooms, or one room that can accommodate 3 beds, etc."

Just 2-3 beds. My son and I can share a bed if necessary. Thanks for your help.

DaileyB Oct 17, 2017 11:55 pm

PTravel: " The San Fernando Valley is huge, but areas like Sherman Oaks, Studio City and Burbank, all of which are in the San Fernando Valley, are just over the hill from Downtown, Hollywood and West Los Angeles (give or take). Finally, please understand that there is very little in Hollywood proper that is of interest."

I realize there is little in Hollywood. Am mostly looking for the San Fernando type attractions. I am looking for touristy things to keep my 12-year-old daughter happy, and some real chances at interaction with people in the film industry to keep my son happy. This excursion is purely for my children. I have no interest in Hollywood at all. The ideas suggested in my nearly contemporaneous thread such as attending film screenings and potentially TV taping are good if feasible. Also, one person suggested that my son volunteer as a camera helper -- that is something I know he would like.

Would also add that my children have a 37-year-old older cousin in the Rowland Hts area who we may visit. That is somewhat iffy because this side of the family is large and there have been family tensions that may not make a visit feasible. (No tensions with me or children -- simply tensions with other cousins and aunts and uncles)

PTravel Oct 18, 2017 1:49 am

Originally Posted by DaileyB (Post 28945814)
PTravel: " The San Fernando Valley is huge, but areas like Sherman Oaks, Studio City and Burbank, all of which are in the San Fernando Valley, are just over the hill from Downtown, Hollywood and West Los Angeles (give or take). Finally, please understand that there is very little in Hollywood proper that is of interest."

I realize there is little in Hollywood. Am mostly looking for the San Fernando type attractions. I am looking for touristy things to keep my 12-year-old daughter happy, and some real chances at interaction with people in the film industry to keep my son happy. This excursion is purely for my children. I have no interest in Hollywood at all. The ideas suggested in my nearly contemporaneous thread such as attending film screenings and potentially TV taping are good if feasible. Also, one person suggested that my son volunteer as a camera helper -- that is something I know he would like.

I've just posted in that thread. I'm afraid that some of the suggestions you've received are more than a little unrealistic.

JBD Oct 18, 2017 4:14 am

Originally Posted by DaileyB (Post 28945791)
JBD: "I may have some suggestions, but can you please give us your per night price range? ("Reasonably priced" can be quite subjective)."

It is hard to say. However, several years ago, I was able to stay in a clean Motel 6 in Carpinteria (Santa Barbara County) for about$65-&75 Expect it will probably be more expensive in LA. Thinking $75 to $125 per night.

"And also, what room set up are you looking for? Two connecting rooms, or one room that can accommodate 3 beds, etc."

Just 2-3 beds. My son and I can share a bed if necessary. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately all of my suggestions exceed your price point - especially since your stay is over NYE.

But hopefully others will chime in! Good luck with your travel planning.

DaileyB Oct 18, 2017 10:26 am

JBD: "Unfortunately all of my suggestions exceed your price point - especially since your stay is over NYE."

Ultimately, I will have to pay whatever is reasonable in LA, which is OK with me. However, if you look, many times items and services can be found which are much less than expected. For instance, I was in downtown Chinatown in LA about 3 years ago, and I was dumbfounded that I could park all day for $5. Also, I visit China fairly regularly and cabs are very cheap and the cab drivers are generally honest -- Not something that you would expect. For instance, you could get a 12 mile cab ride for about $18. Shorter cab rides are incredibly convenient and cheap.

So long as a motel, is clean, quiet and safe, I don't need anything fancy. Will be looking around.

DaileyB Oct 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Just made a reservation for the Chariot Inn in Burbank. Close to Hollywood and LAX. Unfortunately, also close to the Rose Bowl -- Forgot about the game. First 4 nights are $120 per night. Last two are $170 per night because of Rose Bowl.

PTravel Oct 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by DaileyB (Post 28948740)
Just made a reservation for the Chariot Inn in Burbank. Close to Hollywood and LAX. Unfortunately, also close to the Rose Bowl -- Forgot about the game. First 4 nights are $120 per night. Last two are $170 per night because of Rose Bowl.

The Chariot Inn is in Glendale, not Burbank. Glendale isn't that close to Hollywood. Note, too, that "distance" in Southern California is measured by time, not distance. It is also NOT close to LAX, though I don't think you'd want to be.

DavidDTW Oct 18, 2017 6:01 pm

There is a Travelodge at Vermont and Sunset that isn't bad. Usually around $100 per night. I haven't stayed there in a couple of years, but last time was ok.