Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Quiet Beach near Long Beach/Anaheim

Old Sep 11, 17, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz

I'm going to a wedding near Anaheim/Santa Ana in October, and I'd like to get some beach time in. I really like quiet, natural beaches (I love the national park parts of fire island where I live).

I'm landing at LAX and driving to Long Beach on my first day, and I was thinking of going to Abalone Cove Shoreline Park on my way to hike and lay on the sand. I'm staying in Santa Ana later on in my trip, and should get a morning at the beach. I'm thinking of going to Huntington Beach, it seems busier than I'd prefer, but also like a practical choice if I'm only going for a half a day.

Any advice about other options?
Old Sep 11, 17, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite
Avoid PCH (Rt 1) and instead go West along Imperial from the airport until it dead ends at Dockweiler beach, then take a left (south) and go through Manhattan Beach & Hermosa Beach down to PV. These are more your typical SoCal beaches (1/4mi+ wide, flat or small dunes, many areas with volleyball courts).

Or continue south thru Redondo and PV to Abalone, which is great for a hike along a pretty deserted beach. Stick to the coast and you'll find many scenic locations like Korean Friendship Bell for a cool vista https://goo.gl/maps/k1hDuRZz2a12 on the way to LB.

Alternative to HB is Bolsa Chica: https://goo.gl/maps/CvdHnLWdDmG2

Enjoy!
Old Sep 12, 17, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Thank you! That looks perfect and was not on my radar.
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
If you're in Long Beach, most of the beaches can be fairly quiet - it's not really great "beach" going because it's behind the breakwater. However, if you to the far east end of town on what's known as the "peninsula," then you'll have a quiet area with sand and more wave action because it's where the breakwater ends.

It's mostly residential and you can access the beach via a boardwalk that's essentially the sidewalk in front people's houses - it also depends a bit on whether the sand's been pushed up to make a berm for the storm season. I'm not sure if that's OK now since it's summer, but during the winter, I recall they did that as well as in Seal Beach

Old Sep 14, 17, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have the time when you are in OC Crystal Cove is one of the most natural and least crowded beaches in OC.
Old Sep 14, 17, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
If you have the time when you are in OC Crystal Cove is one of the most natural and least crowded beaches in OC.
An excellent recommendation, nice trails and beaches.
http://www.crystalcovestatepark.org/
Old Sep 14, 17, 6:13 pm

Seal Beach is close to Long Beach and I've never seen it crowded, even on the hottest days. It's a bit of a hike from where the sand starts to the water. I don't really go to the beach there - it's just at the end of an easy 35 mile ride from the SGV, so I stop and get lunch before riding home.

Search this Thread