FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Restricted Access via the Secure Connector from TBIT to T4/T5? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1843493-restricted-access-via-secure-connector-tbit-t4-t5.html)

k374 May 19, 2017 11:53 am

Restricted Access via the Secure Connector from TBIT to T4/T5?

So, this is regarding LAX and going between T6 and B. A few months ago I was flying out of B and was able to go to use the airside connector to T6 to use the Alaska Airlines Boardroom there and come back to B for my flight.

A few weeks ago I attempted to do the reverse and was not allowed to. I was flying out of T5 and wanted to spend some time in B but when I reached the final point of the airside connector to B there was a sign saying "Re-entry prohibited" with a guard saying that if I went to B I cannot come back and will have to go through security again... this confuses me, the airside connector cannot be in one direction only? That makes no sense.

Is this new? I thought the airside connector connects secure areas and connects to the immigration cleared area of B so not sure what the problem was.

ok, looking at this map here:

http://www.laxishappening.com/assets...Tunnel-Map.pdf

It looks like the insecure area of B is connected to the secure area of T4-T8? That does not seem to make much sense. Why isn't the area between secure and immigration connected - i.e. effectively the domestic secure area of TBIT to the domestic secure areas of other terminals. This way if an international passenger wants to make a connection they clear immigration then make a airside connect to T4-T8. What are they doing now? They have to exit the terminal then walk outside then go back through security? The way the map displays it it isn't airside if a secure point connects to an insecure point.

obscure2k May 19, 2017 12:21 pm

Moving thread to the FT Los Angeles Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

k374 May 19, 2017 12:23 pm

clarification - I know TBIT does not have departure immigration, ignore my references to immigration clearance.

wrp96 May 19, 2017 12:23 pm

There was a day a few weeks back where someone else, a very regular LAX flier, reported not being allowed to use the secure walkway from TBIT to T4. It was an aberration, and it could very well be the same day you were trying to do it.

wrp96 May 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by k374 (Post 28333907)
ok, looking at this map here:

http://www.laxishappening.com/assets...Tunnel-Map.pdf

It looks like the insecure area of B is connected to the secure area of T4-T8? That does not seem to make much sense. Why isn't the area between secure and immigration connected - i.e. effectively the domestic secure area of TBIT to the domestic secure areas of other terminals. This way if an international passenger wants to make a connection they clear immigration then make a airside connect to T4-T8. What are they doing now? They have to exit the terminal then walk outside then go back through security? The way the map displays it it isn't airside if a secure point connects to an insecure point.

For international arriving passengers, after they clear immigration, there is a security checkpoint in the connector for them to reclear security. No need for them to exit the terminal and go outside in order to go back through security.

TWA884 May 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Moderator's Note:

If this restriction of movement between TBIT and T4 took place on April 25, 2017, it has been discussed the following thread in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum:
I've also edited the thread title for clarity.

TWA884
Los Angeles and Travel Safety/Security moderator

k374 May 19, 2017 1:52 pm

oh interesting, my incident occurred on April 21st. I will see if I can do this again next time. What I experienced on Apr. 21 did not make any sense to me at all.. the purpose of an airside connector is to go back and forth between secure areas of 2 terminals so if one can't do that then the $148 million they spent on building this is a waste.

eeflyer May 19, 2017 3:27 pm

For what it's worth, I made the roundtrip trek between T7 and TBIT last week with no issues at all.

k374 May 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by eeflyer (Post 28334747)
For what it's worth, I made the roundtrip trek between T7 and TBIT last week with no issues at all.

great to know that, thanks! I think as was pointed out earlier it may have been some erroneous policy that was put in place by TSA. I was really surprised too as the previous time I was able to as well so this whole no reentry thing surprised me... but in this day and age I did not dare to argue with the guard lest they throw me out of the airport. I just went back to T6.

calwatch May 26, 2017 8:14 pm

I did this earlier this month as well, no issues. It was probably just an aberration. There are the "gates of doom" within the pedestrian tunnels that drop if there is a breach of security, to try to contain the issue to that terminal, but I haven't heard them shutting in some time.