Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX Midfield Satellite Concourse to [15 West Gates Now Open, 8 More Being Built]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Midfield Satellite Concourse to [15 West Gates Now Open, 8 More Being Built]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat

LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...721-story.html

The first phase of the project will add 11 gates to LAX.

The grand bridge design seems to have been discarded due to height concerns with A380 tail. Instead, the midfield concourse will be a free standing satellite. Upon completion, passengers will be bused ( ) to/from TBIT, until the peoplemover is finished.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Interesting - is the proposed people mover going to be airside or landside?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Probably airside only to connect MSC to TBIT.

MSC is intended as a satellite concourse, not a full terminal (i.e. only secured/sterile area, no unsecured ticketing/baggage claim area) so the current design probably couldn't handle a landside connection.

If you look at the engineering drawings in the link below, MSC has secured (domestic) and sterile (international) bus bays and people mover platforms, but not unsecured bus bay and people mover platform. In order for there to be direct access by landside people mover (or bus, taxi, cars, walk-ins), there will have to be unsecured platforms (or bus bay, drop off area, doors).

Think of MSC as a really fancy AA Eagle-like concourse that will have duty free shopping and A380 gates...

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/Ou...ed_Project.pdf

This is what the documents says about how MSC will work:

Passengers would access the MSC North building by airfield buses powered by clean fuel, traveling between existing CTA terminal facilities and the MSC North building using existing and relocated vehicle service roads (existing vehicle service roads in the vicinity of the MSC North site would be relocated to provide access around the MSC North building). Passengers would obtain tickets, check luggage, and be screened by security at the existing passenger terminals within the CTA and would be bused to and from existing bus gates located within these terminals. One or more bus stations would be integrated to be part of the MSC North building.
Basically, you would check-in at any of the existing terminals and take a bus to MSC.

Last edited by bzcat; Jul 23, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 pm

In the PDF, they are still referencing the CTA - is that still on the table as a possibility?

I rather liked the idea, versus LAX's separated terminals with separate checkin, security, etc.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Reference to CTA (central terminal area) is generic... as in all the existing terminals.

You are thinking of CTP (central terminal processor), which could be build on the land between T2, T3, T4 and T5 parking garage. CTP is not part of the plan that was approved yesterday, although it remains in the LAX long term plan. Most likely, it will be build with the landside people mover station(s) as an integrated facility/building.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:17 pm

LAX midfield concourse officially approved, construction to start in 2015

Thanks for the clarification. I seem to recall there was strong opposition to the CTP when it was previously floated. Do you know why?

I find the endless circling of vehicles buses etc so inefficient at LAX. Seems the CTP would solve much of this?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Thanks for the clarification. I seem to recall there was strong opposition to the CTP when it was previously floated. Do you know why?

I find the endless circling of vehicles buses etc so inefficient at LAX. Seems the CTP would solve much of this?
Some airlines didn't like the CTP concept... they like having ticketing and baggage claims at the same physical terminals as the gates. But if CTP has direct air side connection to TBIT and MSC gates then it is much more compelling location. I can see some airlines will want to move their check-in counter to CTP.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:47 pm

According to what I read, there will be a tunnel built in lieu of the bridge, which makes a lot more sense than continually running horribly inefficient buses, anyway. Unfortunately, they are nowhere near being ready to start construction on a replacement hangar for QANTAS, which is currently sitting where the first phase of the remote terminal will be built. There are still mountains of dirt and rocks on the area that needs to be cleared for the new hangar. They will have to finish a replacement hangar before they tear down the old one and begin construction of the new terminal, so I would not hold my breath. So far, it has taken them over a year just to repave the tarmac on the SE side of TBIT, and that project still has a long way to go. If they ever get it done, they can open the SE gates and start the repaving on the NE gates.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA/AA
LAX TBIT $1.6 Billion Midfield Satellite Concourse Will Add 12 Gates

LAX breaks ground on a $1.6-billion midfield terminal that will add 12 gates for aircraft

Marking another milestone in the massive renovation of Los Angeles International Airport, city officials broke ground Monday on a $1.6-billion midfield passenger terminal that will have a dozen gates for aircraft.

The project, which is scheduled to be finished in late 2019, will help accommodate growth at LAX and reduce the use of the airport’s outdoor gates, where passengers exit planes onto the tarmac and take buses to the Tom Bradley International Terminal.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...227-story.html
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Only two years behind schedule:
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well that's nuts.

But more lounges
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by TWA884
WHY in the world would they not do this when the were doing the other "improvements"?
And if you add this project into the costs of the other projects why did they not just build a new state of the art airport and tear down the existing disgraceful LAX?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
WHY in the world would they not do this when the were doing the other "improvements"?
And if you add this project into the costs of the other projects why did they not just build a new state of the art airport and tear down the existing disgraceful LAX?
The adjective "just" really doesn't belong with the phrase build an airport. Where would the replacement for LAX go?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Plenty of other airports have torn down old structures to build new airports. Nothing new. It is a hassle during construction- but no more than the ongoing hassle that has plagued LAX for years and, when the midfield terminal is built will continue to be a hassle far into the future.
But instead LAWA insist on constantly remodeling existing structures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.