Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX Midfield Satellite Concourse to [15 West Gates Now Open, 8 More Being Built]

LAX Midfield Satellite Concourse to [15 West Gates Now Open, 8 More Being Built]

Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
Construction started a while ago (late 2015 with demolition of old Qantas hanger and relocation of vehicle graveyard and coast guard station). This was just the ground breaking PR event.

When I took the airfield tour in July 2016, they were already doing site prep and utility work for MSC.

Last edited by bzcat; Mar 8, 2017 at 6:18 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Los Angeles Daily News:
Construction kicks off on $1.6 billion Midfield Satellite Concourse at LAX

Work began this week on a new 12-gate concourse at Los Angeles International Airport, the latest capital project in the multibillion-dollar renovation at LAX.

After a ceremonial groundbreaking in February, construction has kicked off for the $1.6 billion Midfield Satellite Concourse, according to a news release from Los Angeles World Airports. The concourse, set to be complete in 2019, will include the 12 new gates in a five-story, 750,000-square-foot building attached to the Tom Bradley International Terminal via a 1,000-foot tunnel.

Development of the Gateway Building connecting to the tunnel from the international terminal began as well.

<snip>
Old May 15, 2017, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
$1.6B for just 12 gates?? What kind of idiot signed off on this project?

If LAX wants to join the 21st century, they don't need 12 more gates, they to start with:

1. a Miami-style high speed monorail connecting the terminals with a centralized rental car and transportation hub station off-site

2. an "overlay" build-out that layers a pre and post security ticketing/security concourse on top of the separate terminal buildings to create one consistent U shaped seamless terminal building to permit gate assignment flexibility instead of so many disconnected terminal buildings

3. a McNamara/DTW style pre and post security monorail built inside the overlay that moves people between zones of the new single-terminal look overlay or a YYZ-style high speed moving walk-ways doing the same at ground level
Old May 15, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
$1.6B for just 12 gates??
Was thinking the same thing, crazy
Old May 16, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Plenty of other airports have torn down old structures to build new airports.
Where? Endor Planet? Neverland?

"Plenty of other airports"?

I can't think of ANY major airport that has been torn down to the ground and then re-built lately.
OTOH, I can't think of any major airport that hasn't got a remodel or expansion.

Currently, there is a handful of brand new airports being built or recently completed. Every single one of them has incurred years of delay and probably cost overruns of billions and billions of dollars. Doha and Berlin come to my mind as recent examples.

I also WISH LAX could be erased and re-built from the ground, but it is not possible, it is not going to happen.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Action

The topic of this thread is the expansion of the Tom Bradley International Terminal by building a 12 gates midfield concourse .

Posts discussing the LAX Landside Access Modernization Program, which includes a consolidated rental car facility, a public transportation hub and an elevated automated people mover, were moved to the following thread:
Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

LAWA released a new video providing some preview for MSC

Construction must be on time as LAWA is feeling confident to put "schedule opening in end of 2019" in the video.

Last edited by bzcat; Nov 7, 2017 at 2:41 pm
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bzcat
LAWA released a new video providing some preview for MSC

Construction must be on time as LAWA is feeling confident to put "schedule opening in end of 2019" in the video.
Yay- more pet relief areas

Thanks for the video... what's the over/under for the opening date?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
With all those new gates and capacity, what is the plan for the woefully overcrowded check-in hall?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
With all those new gates and capacity, what is the plan for the woefully overcrowded check-in hall?
I think that is the big uncertainty... TBIT is running out of physical space to accommodate more airlines counters. After MSC North is done with 12 more gates, there is also MSC South, which will add another 10 gates.

Either LAWA start thinking about a new Center Processing Hall where the T3/T4 parking garages are located or there will be a lot more of "check in at T6/board at TBIT" thing going on.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The new project should rather focus on how to make Security lines faster and more efficient for international travelers instead of interior /gates etc. lol
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bzcat
I think that is the big uncertainty... TBIT is running out of physical space to accommodate more airlines counters. After MSC North is done with 12 more gates, there is also MSC South, which will add another 10 gates.

Either LAWA start thinking about a new Center Processing Hall where the T3/T4 parking garages are located or there will be a lot more of "check in at T6/board at TBIT" thing going on.
On my last visit through there, the DY line went back to the entrance door, pretty much blocking access to where the LA lines were set up.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Some recent MSC construction photos from the architectural firm website: LAX Midfield Satellite Concourse - Corgan

I'm just going to post 1 of the photos. You can click over to the website to see all of them.

Old May 13, 2019, 1:32 pm

LAX is soliciting bids for restaurant operators at the Midfield Satellite Concourse.
Attached Images  
Old May 13, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TWA884
LAX is soliciting bids for restaurant operators at the Midfield Satellite Concourse.
Well, the due date for proposals is past. Wonder how many submittals Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield received...

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.