Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2014 - Date)

The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2014 - Date)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: chrisl137
Wiki Link
This thread contains posts from 2014 to date. Older messages on this topic may still contain relevant information and have been moved to the archived thread:
Special Winter Holiday Schedule 2019 (Dec 19-Jan 6): To LAX, From LAX

LAX FlyAway® buses provide scheduled ground transportation between LAX airport and the following locations:

• Van Nuys (bus tracker)
  • Orange Line Express Bus Stop (on the south side of Victory Blvd., just east of Woodley Ave.) discontinued 1/31/19.
  • Union Station (Downtown Los Angeles) (bus tracker)
  • Westwood at UCLA
  • Hollywood (northeast corner of Selma Ave. and Argyle Ave. - one block south of Hollywood Blvd.) (bus tracker)
  • Long Beach (at Shelter A in the Long Beach Transit Gallery, on the northwest corner of 1st Street and Long Beach Blvd.) (bus tracker)

See LAWA website for fare info and purchase tickets: FlyAway® Fares

A few important notes for visitors:

1. Unlike many similar services in other international airports, there are no FlyAway ticket vending machines or ticket counters at LAX. For Hollywood and Westwood, you can purchase tickets on the bus with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express credit or debit card. For Union Station and Van Nuys, purchase tickets at the kiosk located when the bus discharges you, also with a valid credit card (cash is not accepted). Union Station customers may additionally purchase FlyAway tickets via Metrolink ticket machines, which are located on the floor below the FlyAway stop. These ticket machines accept US currency (except pennies) in addition to credit and debit cards. Select a "LAX to LA Union Station" trip, and ask one of the attendants for help if you can't figure out the machine.

2. Tickets are good for 30 days so you can purchase them well in advance of your trip to and from LAX. The bus driver will scan your ticket or mobile device as you board.

3. If you have no ticket (and going to Union Station), the driver will tag your luggage to "hold". When you arrive at Union Station, you will be directed to purchase a ticket at the vending machine. Once you show the proof of fare, you will be allowed to claim your luggage. You can also buy a ticket online on your mobile device on the bus and have it ready on your device for the driver to scan when picking up your luggage.

4. Catch the bus at the Arrival Level (lower level) curb adjacent to the terminal. Look for GREEN sign that states FLYAWAY, BUSES, LONG DISTANCE VANS.

5. You can track locations of buses at this link. Van Nuys and Union Station routes share one tracker link. Hollywood and Long Beach share a different tracker link.

Some tips:

1. The FlyAway departure schedule from LAX is the times the buses are scheduled to leave Terminal 1 Arrival Level. It typically takes at least 30 minutes for the bus to complete the pickup from Terminal 1 all the way to Terminal 7. If you are at the north side terminals (T1, T2, T3) and just missed a FlyAway bus, you can beat it to the other side of the airport by walking across LAX using ground level crosswalk and sidewalk, and catching the same bus at the south side terminals (T4, T5, T6). Walk across the airport will take about 10~15 minutes depending on your exact locations.

2. If you are connecting to Amtrak, Metro, Metrolink, and Megabus services at Union Station - Consult this map for locations of various service: Union Station Map

And some useful info here: Union Station

3. Make sure you get on the right bus. The destination sign is displayed in front of the bus.

The Union Station and Van Nuys service utilize fullsize Van Hool buses. These buses are white with light blue FlyAway logo - see here

The Hollywood/Expo Line and Westwood service utilize midsize Ford cutaway buses. These buses are white with dark blue FlyAway logo - see here
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 24, 19, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Don't forget that the Flyaway drops you off on First Street & Long Beach Blvd and it's still a bit of a walk over to the Catalina Express

It's far less risk to just take an Uber directly to the terminal.
OliverB and chrisl137 like this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Just Uber... not worth the risk due to your firm deadline.

But if you insist, the quickest way to get from T6 to T1 is walk across LAX via the theme building. It will take you about 7 or 8 minutes on the lower (arrival) level sidewalk.

Also, it will take MUCH longer than 15 min fro Flyaway bus to circle from T1 to T6. More like 30 minutes. Traffic in the LAX loop will be heavy and the bus will stop at every terminal and wait about 5 minutes for people to get on.
OliverB likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:24 pm

Thanks, you've both convinced me to just take an Uber directly to the port!
Old Oct 29, 19, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
Departing in a couple of weeks on a Friday for a 3:10 flight. AS, assuming it's out of T6.
If everything goes according to plan, my last meeting will end on time and I'll make the 12:30 bus from Van Nuys. If something runs long, or there's trouble on 405 getting to the FlyAway terminal, I may miss it. Will the 1pm bus get me to T6 in time? TSAPre, no checked bags.
Old Oct 30, 19, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
You will get to LAX in about 45 minutes during that time of the day. Maybe a little less.

There is report in the LAX-it thread that FlyAway bus now use the exclusive bus lane inside the terminal loop. If that's the case, I think you will make your flight. If not, you can hop off the bus at T1 and just walk across to T6. The walk is will take about 7 or 8 minutes, the bus ride from T1 to T6 factoring stops at each terminal and exclusive bus lane should take about 10-15 minutes.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 1:18 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
VNY to LAX - Weds night - best time to leave?

Hi All,

I am expecting to use Flyaway this upcoming Weds evening for a 10:30pm flight. Is the 35 minute time stated on the Flyaway website still a reasonable expectation? Or is there construction or something else going on and I should plan for more than an hour?

Less important but curious to know: I am arriving Terminal 7 mid-morning Tuesday; should I expect the bus (going to VNY) to be very crowded? Should I go directly to T1 instead to be sure to get a seat?
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
Hi All,

I am expecting to use Flyaway this upcoming Weds evening for a 10:30pm flight. Is the 35 minute time stated on the Flyaway website still a reasonable expectation? Or is there construction or something else going on and I should plan for more than an hour?

Less important but curious to know: I am arriving Terminal 7 mid-morning Tuesday; should I expect the bus (going to VNY) to be very crowded? Should I go directly to T1 instead to be sure to get a seat?
You're leaving during the peak traffic hours on a non-peak day, but traffic both to LAX and into LAX can be unpredictable - I tend to allocate an hour for the Flyaway, especially since it can take another 20 minutes to get through the horseshoe. The drivers can alter their route to avoid traffic since there aren't intermediate stops, but traffic in the horseshoe can be unpredictable. Last time I took it (at the holidays) they were dropping off on the upper level and so didn't get the advantage of the dedicated bus lane for drop offs, just pick ups. I think they do that for keeping track of luggage, so they empty the bus on the upper level and then go around to the lower level to pick up.

On your return I wouldn't worry about walking over to T1 to get on - even at the holidays I don't think they were completely filling, but if you end up cutting the timing close on the departure and there's traffic it can save you time to get off at T1 and walk across to T7- I've done that many times on the Flyaway and parking buses.

Also, if you go to the bus tracker links in the wiki, the Union Station and Van Nuys buses show available capacity. I don't have enough experience with that to know if it's reliable or meaningful, but it's there.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:53 pm

thank you!
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:34 am

Thanks for the advice. Flyaway was super easy and worked out perfectly all around. At less than $10 I thought it an excellent value and a dramatic savings over Uber, let alone an actual taxi. Was a little unexpected that when leaving from LAX one pays after getting off but you must pay before getting on when going to LAX.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Flyaway was super easy and worked out perfectly all around. At less than $10 I thought it an excellent value and a dramatic savings over Uber, let alone an actual taxi. Was a little unexpected that when leaving from LAX one pays after getting off but you must pay before getting on when going to LAX.
In principle if you didn't put a bag under the bus you can skip out without paying. I don't think many people do that, but I have left without having my ticket scanned when there's a long line. I always buy my return ticket from LAX on my phone while I'm on the bus - that way I can check bus status before I commit and then also don't have to wait in line at the kiosk to pay after arrival. The line at the kiosk can get long.

As an aside related to using automated alternatives to a cashier - flying out of T6 yesterday I stopped to get a burrito at Wahoo and there was a long line (only time I've ever seen one). *Nobody* was using the two online-order menu screens that they have right before the register. Once it was clear nobody was going to use them, I excused myself forward, ordered on the screen and had my food before just about everybody who was in front of me in line.
Old Feb 18, 20, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137 View Post
As an aside related to using automated alternatives to a cashier - flying out of T6 yesterday I stopped to get a burrito at Wahoo and there was a long line (only time I've ever seen one). *Nobody* was using the two online-order menu screens that they have right before the register. Once it was clear nobody was going to use them, I excused myself forward, ordered on the screen and had my food before just about everybody who was in front of me in line.
I guess the cashier was too busy to stop you from using them. I was told by one (not at Wahoo) that if they get lots of automated order, they will start losing their jobs, so they try to get everyone to use the human cashier.
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note - Topic Drift

Folks,

Please keep in mind the following guideline when posting in this thread:

FlyerTalk Rule 5:

Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
Let's get to the topic of this thread, that is the LAX Flyaway Bus.

Thank you,

TWA884

Search this Thread
Search Engine: