Reload this Page >

The 2022 - 2023 LAX Parking Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Parking @ LAX: https://book.flylax.com/book/LAX/Parking or LAX Official Airport Parking

Recommendations for selecting booking times and total booking periods: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34711926-post186.html
Note also that for booking close-in and and around holiday peaks, some of the off airport lots may offer advance rates that are very competitive with the LAX operated lots.

Interactive map of LAX on-airport (Central Terminal Area) parking status is linked here (includes links to nearby off airport parking if you scroll down)

Economy and Budget Lot Shuttle Tracker (bottom link, light blue) (as of 10/25/23 it seems to mostly show Budget Lot shuttles and some Economy Lot shuttles don't show up on the tracker)

Note that parking rates in the CTA structures increased on 10/19/21.
Economy Parking (structure in part of the old lot C location) opened 10/19/21.
Prebooking is available at substantial discounts for the CTA ($22 vs $50/day) and Economy ($15 vs $25/day) parking at this link

See most recent posts in thread for prebooking discount codes offered for airport operated parking lots.

For prebooking, you must book at least 6 hours before your arrival.
For the Economy Lot, your QR code becomes active 4 hours prior to your booked arrival time
For CTA lots, the QR code becomes active 2 hours prior to your booked arrival time.

Note that access to the Economy Lot is only via Westchester Pkwy to Jetway Bl - there doesn't appear to be any shortcut via 96th.

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with parking lot occupancy and time to T1 from points outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.

Park 'N Fly @ Park One and LAX Lot C are permanently closed.
Lot E is permanently closed as of 7/26/21

With the limited availability of parking at LAX as travel picks back up, Van Nuys or Union Station+Flyaway bus may be a reasonable alternative:
Union Station Parking (at Patsouras Plaza) is $8/day. Make sure you're in Union Station East (the underground facility) and fill out and drop off the downloadable form if you'll be there longer than 3 days.
The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2014 - Date) has up to date information on taking the flyaway bus; parking is $5 a day.

Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and can be found in this thread:
Print Wikipost

The 2022 - 2023 LAX Parking Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2023, 9:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I haven’t done that yet, but have been meaning to try to see where it drops off in the bus center. It isn’t employee only - there are actual travelers who use transit, too.
There is a separate shuttle that services the employees parking lots, which are located on the north side of Westchester Parkway. It is clearly marked as an employees shuttle. Five of them must have passed me by as I was waiting for the Economy Parking shuttle a few weeks ago. There may still be another, smaller employees lot next to the LAX City Bus Center.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 4:10 pm
jmw

I noticed a big $100 difference in price for economy between an 11:59pm exit and 12:01am exit on the prebooked reservation. I was going to book full 24 hour periods in case of delayed flights but decided to check the price for 11:59pm. That's more than the daily rate of $35 for an overstay.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TAKE15 came out - working well for me.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. LAX is spamming me about a new Budget lot with a shuttle every 20-25 minutes:

https://parking.flylax.com/budget/

It looks to be behind The Proud Bird.

I'd say given LAWA shuttles, every 20-25 minutes could mean every hour.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Interesting. LAX is spamming me about a new Budget lot with a shuttle every 20-25 minutes:

https://parking.flylax.com/budget/

It looks to be behind The Proud Bird.

I'd say given LAWA shuttles, every 20-25 minutes could mean every hour.
I think that's the old Lot E. I guess they are re-opening it and names it Budget Lot.
dlaue and chrisl137 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Old Oct 1, 2023, 12:35 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
The economy lot scanner doesn’t work if you have more than one reservation booked (future ones) which is irritating
Old Oct 1, 2023, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
The economy lot scanner doesn’t work if you have more than one reservation booked (future ones) which is irritating
The license plates reader the Economy Parking worked for me in late August even though I already had a paid reservation for October. The gates opened automatically when I entered and exited the structure. Both Times, there was a slight delay of 5 - 10 seconds before the gate opened.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The place I run into trouble with it is when I book a departure date that's on the day (probably really some number of hours) after my actual departure time. The system acts like it loads license plate data locally for departures on the same day or next 12 hours or something. Anything further out and I have to scan the QR code to get out.

I regularly have multiple reservations booked and haven't noticed that it caused problems on entry.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
The license plates reader the Economy Parking worked for me in late August even though I already had a paid reservation for October. The gates opened automatically when I entered and exited the structure. Both Times, there was a slight delay of 5 - 10 seconds before the gate opened.
Essentially same here. Had a RSVP a few weeks ago and another for mid October. On arrival for the mid September the gate plate reader worked fine. Actually don't recall a hesitation lasting beyond normal (maybe 3 seconds).
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:55 pm

Never had an issue with the plate scanner before, but it would not let me out last week. Fortunately, I had the QR code for the reservation saved in my Google Wallet, which worked like a charm. I was actually starting to think that someone may have stolen my rear license plate in the lot, but thankfully I was able to confirm that was not issue when I got home.

I was happy to hear about the budget lot, since my next trip has me departing late on the night before Thanksgiving. I was concerned that the garage would be completely full by the time I get there, but the additional lot should alleviate that concern. With the current promo code, I would only save $25 by switching my 11 day trip from the economy to the budget lot, so it does not make a lot of sense right now, especially with the shuttles advertised for every 20-30 minutes.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by downinit
Never had an issue with the plate scanner before, but it would not let me out last week. Fortunately, I had the QR code for the reservation saved in my Google Wallet, which worked like a charm. I was actually starting to think that someone may have stolen my rear license plate in the lot, but thankfully I was able to confirm that was not issue when I got home.

I was happy to hear about the budget lot, since my next trip has me departing late on the night before Thanksgiving. I was concerned that the garage would be completely full by the time I get there, but the additional lot should alleviate that concern. With the current promo code, I would only save $25 by switching my 11 day trip from the economy to the budget lot, so it does not make a lot of sense right now, especially with the shuttles advertised for every 20-30 minutes.
Around thanksgiving and xmas/new years, as well as a few other travel holidays, it's a good idea to book in advance. They'll stop letting in drive-up parkers to make sure there are spots for the reservations, and the old lot C used to fill up completely, even in the days when it was ~5000 spaces. I've already had it happen at least once with the economy lot, where they had a person checking for reservations before the plate readers, and a few times in the CTA lots.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Just received this email:

Use code FALLTRAVEL23 to save 10% at Budget Parking and Valet, 15% at Economy Parking, and 20% at Terminal General and Premium Parking.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Around thanksgiving and xmas/new years, as well as a few other travel holidays, it's a good idea to book in advance. They'll stop letting in drive-up parkers to make sure there are spots for the reservations, and the old lot C used to fill up completely, even in the days when it was ~5000 spaces. I've already had it happen at least once with the economy lot, where they had a person checking for reservations before the plate readers, and a few times in the CTA lots.
Considering the significant difference in price between advance bookings and drive-up rates, combined with the fact that advanced bookings are easy to cancel or modify, I cannot imagine why anyone would not book in advance for any trip, unless it was last-minute. That said, having a reservation and finding a parking spot when you need one are not necessarily the same thing.

BTW, I just repriced my 11 day stay with the new promo code and the difference between budget and economy is a whopping $1!!
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 11:12 am
Original Poster

I just got back from a long weekend trip.

Friday, I arrived a few minutes before my reservation time. The license plate reader worked like a charm. There were probably 40 people waiting for the bus. Two buses arrived at the same time and I was on the shuttle bus within ten minutes of parking my car. I was through TSA security in the Flagship lounge within less than 30 minutes of parking my car at an EV spot on the third level; the ride to T4 took approximately 10-15 minutes and another 5-10 minutes to clear TSA security, which was backed up.

Coming back last night, an Economy Parking shuttle passed by the T7 LAX shuttles stop, without stopping, within a minute of my getting there. Another came within another minute and did stop; it was as packed as a sardine can. The ride to the parking structure took less than ten minutes. I was in my car and driving home within 30 minutes of the plane pulling into the gate. The license plate reader did not recognize my car at the exit from the parking facility; I had to scramble and find the QR code and scan it in order to open the gate.

Of note is that the EV spots are now posted with signs warning that non-EV cars parked in those spaces will be cited.
chrisl137 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.