FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1813118-2023-2024-lax-connections-transfers-thread.html)

bizum Jan 5, 2023 10:05 pm

2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread

Hi folks, would appreciate your input on our scenario, thanks in advance!

We have a midnite EVA flight out of Terminal B (separate PNR). We are planning to arrive at 6:30pm at LAX T3 on a DL flight. 2 adults plus one toddler, two pieces of baggage (skypriority), everyone has Global Entry/TSA Prechk. EVA flights are J so checkin I assume should not take too long.

Whats the easiest route from T3 (after baggage claim) to TB?

When I used the interactive map and checked for directions from a T3 baggage claim (25) to EVA checkin on L3 at TB, it showed 8 minutes direct walking time (~500m). Is that correct?

Since both flights were on separate PNR's and required us to re-check bags, I was even prepared to grab an Uber from T3 to TB. Looks like it takes more time to get from T3 airside to TB since you would take the bus, so our scenario (going thru baggage claim) appears to be shorter.

Moderator2 Jan 6, 2023 7:59 am

It is unlikely that your walk will even be as much as eight minutes. Uber is not an option, as you have to take a bus to a dispatch point outside of the airport. Rideshare and taxis can't pick up people at terminals.

bizum Jan 6, 2023 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Moderator2 (Post 34898538)
It is unlikely that your walk will even be as much as eight minutes. Uber is not an option, as you have to take a bus to a dispatch point outside of the airport. Rideshare and taxis can't pick up people at terminals.

Thank you for the input, I feel less stressed out now

shimps1 Jan 9, 2023 7:31 pm

Had a recent flight change for a booking that has made me question our itinerary.

AA DSM>PHX>LAX, now arrives 1130am in LAX. Connecting to TN LAX>PPT with a departure at 230pm, on a separate ticket. 54 minutes in PHX to make the connection, and then 3 hrs to make the AA>TN connection in LAX. Should I be concerned with either of those timelines? Was originally trying to leave a buffer for weather/etc, but after the schedule change, that PHX connection is tight and I don't know about 3 hrs at LAX, never connected there before with separate booking. Should I be concerned?

We will be checking bags, and we'll need to get from AA domestic arrival terminal to wherever TN operates from at LAX.

Colin Jan 9, 2023 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by shimps1 (Post 34909521)
Had a recent flight change for a booking that has made me question our itinerary.

AA DSM>PHX>LAX, now arrives 1130am in LAX. Connecting to TN LAX>PPT with a departure at 230pm, on a separate ticket. 54 minutes in PHX to make the connection, and then 3 hrs to make the AA>TN connection in LAX. Should I be concerned with either of those timelines? Was originally trying to leave a buffer for weather/etc, but after the schedule change, that PHX connection is tight and I don't know about 3 hrs at LAX, never connected there before with separate booking. Should I be concerned?

We will be checking bags, and we'll need to get from AA domestic arrival terminal to wherever TN operates from at LAX.

you should be concerned and should arrive into LA the day prior

TWA884 Jan 9, 2023 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by shimps1 (Post 34909521)

TN operates from TBIT. The walk from T4 to TBIT takes 3-5 minutes. Add 3-5 minutes if your flight from Phoenix arrives in T5. In my limited experience - I avoid checking luggage, however, sometimes when helping my daughter move, it was unavoidable - it takes a minimum of 30 minutes for luggage from AA flights to start arriving on the baggage carousels at LAX. Unless your flight is more than an hour late, you should be OK.

As far as the PHX is concerned, I have no idea.

shimps1 Jan 10, 2023 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 34909531)
you should be concerned and should arrive into LA the day prior

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 34909699)
TN operates from TBIT. The walk from T4 to TBIT takes 3-5 minutes. Add 3-5 minutes if your flight from Phoenix arrives in T5. In my limited experience - I avoid checking luggage, however, sometimes when helping my daughter move, it was unavoidable - it takes a minimum of 30 minutes for luggage from AA flights to start arriving on the baggage carousels at LAX. Unless your flight is more than an hour late, you should be OK.

As far as the PHX is concerned, I have no idea.

A couple different opinions here. Any other thoughts? I can switch my inbound AA flights to route through ORD and arrive in LAX 1 hr earlier (10:30AM), but it would only be a 40 minute connection in ORD, and would be more of a weather concern there than in PHX. I am not sure if leaving the day before is viable, but I can look into it. Obviously that would be cheaper than missing a flight in this situation, but not sure if being that conservative is necessary.

bzcat Jan 12, 2023 11:43 am

3+ hour to make a connection at LAX is not a problem as long as you are comfortable with the risk of traveling on separate tickets. The risk is really with your PHX or ORD connection and I'm not sure LA forum is a good place to ask. Perhaps the AA forum can offer better advise.

For my risk tolerance, if my outbound long haul is to a once per day type destination, I would want my connecting flights to be on the same ticket so the airline knows where you are and can decide if they want to wait for you.

pushmyredbutton Jan 12, 2023 8:18 pm

Have a connection from T7 to T1 with some significant baggage. Is the only feasible option the bus?

I’m hoping the route through the parking garages is still possible so I can push a cart the whole way, but with construction… not so sure..

Colin Jan 12, 2023 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton (Post 34919891)
Have a connection from T7 to T1 with some significant baggage. Is the only feasible option the bus?

I’m hoping the route through the parking garages is still possible so I can push a cart the whole way, but with construction… not so sure..

ground level easy walk from the middle of T7/6 to T2/1 on sidewalk with pedestrian crossings of all rodeway. i wouldn’ worry.

DeepSnap Jan 13, 2023 7:04 pm

BLUF: AMCITS (seniors), NZ & AUS eVisas received, Global Entry card carriers, Delta Platinum Medallion, Delta Million Miler

My wife (bad knees & back - wheel chair assist requested) & I are taking a cruise soon & flying ATL-LAX-AKL on the front end.

Once upon a time Delta & Air New Zealand had a baggage interline agreement, but no more. The tickets were booked through a travel agent, then through the cruise line & carry a ANZ ticket number so no one, ANZ included, wants to change the DAL leg to a flight 90 minutes earlier for any less than TINS $2500.

Has anyone recently had to claim bags at LAX T3, transfer (prob by bus) & re-check at TBIT, then go through TSA? If yes, about how long did it take? We've been given 2 hrs 20 min between flights at LAX, so it's a do-able deal if "Murphy" is not in play & the FAA doesn't mess things up, the flight is on time or early, etc. Have done this type of "no-fun" connection at JFK before & swore never to do it again. But that's what we get for letting Oceania Cruises do the air booking.

Coming back is all United from SYD-SFO-ATL, so it's not a problem on the back end.

Comments?

TIA.

TWA884 Jan 13, 2023 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by DeepSnap (Post 34923012)
Has anyone recently had to claim bags at LAX T3, transfer (prob by bus) & re-check at TBIT, then go through TSA? If yes, about how long did it take? We've been given 2 hrs 20 min between flights at LAX, so it's a do-able deal if "Murphy" is not in play & the FAA doesn't mess things up, the flight is on time or early, etc. Have done this type of "no-fun" connection at JFK before & swore never to do it again. But that's what we get for letting Oceania Cruises do the air booking.

Have you considered hiring a concierge service to help with your connection? Several such services are available. I don't know much about them other than what I read in my Google search results. I found Universal Sky VIP, Royal Airport Concierge and Airport Butler; there are probably more.

HkCaGu Jan 14, 2023 5:49 am

Originally Posted by DeepSnap (Post 34923012)
Has anyone recently had to claim bags at LAX T3, transfer (prob by bus) & re-check at TBIT, then go through TSA?

There are no buses to take from T3 to TBIT. Terminal connector buses don't stop in front of TBIT any more. There's a stop near the corner between T3 and TBIT, and the next one is the other corner between TBIT and T4.

The new DL baggage claim is closer to T3 than "T2". See https://maps.lawa.org/ for details.

canadianhockey91 Feb 2, 2023 2:44 pm

I see the new map that connects the terminals and it says 15-20min for further ones. Seems like quite away. We have a good layover time so not worried but just wanting to enjoy more time at the *lounge at TBIT. J/w if people that have gone T7 -> TBIT would agree it will take that long? Thanks!
***airside connection no need to clear customs or security****

chrisl137 Feb 2, 2023 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by canadianhockey91 (Post 34980057)
I see the new map that connects the terminals and it says 15-20min for further ones. Seems like quite away. We have a good layover time so not worried but just wanting to enjoy more time at the *lounge at TBIT. J/w if people that have gone T7 -> TBIT would agree it will take that long? Thanks!
***airside connection no need to clear customs or security****

That sounds about right. It's not a short walk - the interactive map shows it as about 1400 m to go from the Amex lounge to gate 71A, so a little under a mile. I haven't done Amex lounge to T7, but I've done all of it piecewise. It's made longer than it needs to be by not being straight along the headhouses, but having to go most of the way into 4, go downstairs, walk to 6, then go upstairs and walk back to the headhouse to get the skyway to 7.