2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.
"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

Resources

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.

All terminals at LAX are connected airside (above ground hallways between terminals 1 and T4, and T6, T7 and T8, and tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American Eagle). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.
LAX also now has an interactive map that will give detailed instructions between any two name-able points in the terminals (e.g. gates, restaurants, lounges, etc): Interactive Map

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from T1 to T2, T3, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2018 - 2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2022/23 updates are in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kchao1213
Hi all - how unrealistic would it be to attempt a 90 minute connection from TBIT to T3 on separate tickets? Hoping to arrive in TBIT via SQ at 12:50pm and catch a domestic connection in T3 via DL at 2:20pm. We’ll have carry on luggage only, Global Entry, Clear, and TSA Pre.

From my understanding, we’ll need to clear immigration, exit security, walk to the adjacent T3 landside, and re-enter security - is that correct? Historically, I’ve been comfortable with tight connections but is this one too ambitious? Thanks all!
With carry-on only and GE, you can do this no problem. Of course since they are separate tickets, you are not protected in case your inbound SQ flight is delayed. That's a risk you have to take no matter how much time you have to self-connect.
TWA884 and Kchao1213 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
With carry-on only and GE, you can do this no problem. Of course since they are separate tickets, you are not protected in case your inbound SQ flight is delayed. That's a risk you have to take no matter how much time you have to self-connect.
Many thanks, bzcat! Completely understood regarding the risk of separate tickets. And will be the process be - clear customs in TBIT, exit security, walk to the adjacent T3 landside, and re-enter security? I assume there is no way to remain airside after customs.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 10:22 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Kchao1213
And will be the process be - clear customs in TBIT, exit security, walk to the adjacent T3 landside, and re-enter security? I assume there is no way to remain airside after customs.
Yes, that is the process.

At every US airport, after completing the immigration and customs inspections, connecting/transiting passengers must clear TSA security after exiting the Federal Inspection Services facility and before reentering the secured area of the airport.
SPN Lifer, bzcat and Kchao1213 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:51 pm
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Some time in 2022, I guess when the rebuilt "T3" was inaugurated, LAWA removed all signages of "T2". All gates 20-39 are now T3.

When I flew DL in Dec 2022, there was nothing eastward beyond Gate 21. The airside bus was operating out of Gate 26B. Later that day I returned on MX (TBIT West) and took the LLC airside bus to the new "T1.5" which was only connected to T1 but not "T2".
Old Jun 21, 2023, 3:58 pm

Programs: Some more than others
The connector between T1 and T2/3 was completed as the article stated and was open about a month or so before it was closed due to the ongoing construction. I have not seen an estimate as far as when it will reopen.

In theory someone could take the T1.5 bus to TBIT-W then walk to TBIT-E and catch the DL shuttle to T2/3 but I cant imagine it would be faster than leaving security.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 11:04 pm

Thanks for the update.
I just hate going through security, would rather take longer than go through security (I guess the opposite works for many people. They would rather take longer on the shuttle bus then just to walk from T1 to T7).
Old Jun 28, 2023, 1:35 pm

Wondering about Whether You Need to Schlep Baggage from TBIT to Domestic Terminals?

You do not (or so I've been told): "After customs there is a drop off desk for bags from international flights that are tagged to another destination. No need to schlepp anything to the domestic terminal. I have done it many times at many different US international gateways and never had a bag disappear or get delayed because of that. Obviously, if you have a really tight connection, the bag needs to get from TB to T6, but given your plan to hang out at a lounge, that doesn’t seem to be a concern."
Old Jun 28, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
After you exit custom at TBIT, the bag drop off area is to the right (follow the sign for connecting passengers). It is pretty straight forward and you can't miss it.

As long as the bag is tagged to the final destination and it is before the cut off time, you can hand over the bags and walk to the next terminal.
SPN Lifer and pudgym29 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
How long is the walk between tbit and terminal 3 please? I'm looking at flying DL into tbit and leaving from T3. 4 hour connection seems do-able, just want to be sure as the LAX-SAN leg will be the last flight of the day.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
How long is the walk between tbit and terminal 3 please? I'm looking at flying DL into tbit and leaving from T3. 4 hour connection seems do-able, just want to be sure as the LAX-SAN leg will be the last flight of the day.
Technically they are next to each other, but in reality it depends on many factors. I’m assuming you’re talking about international to domestic. If you have checked bags to redeposit, you turn right before exit, making you slightly farther away from T3. After redeposit, you can reenter security right there at TBIT ground floor, go upstairs and walk north to the airside bus to T3. Or you can choose to walk out to the street like arriving passengers, turn left and walk to T3 either upstairs or downstairs.

“T3” now includes the former T2 and all gates 20-39. The DL check-in and TSA entrance are now right in between the 20s and 30s. The airside bus arrives at Gate 26B (near the tip of the former T2 finger). So if your next gate is one of the the 30s, taking the airside bus results in two unnecessary long walks. But if today’s gate numbers are representative (DL Conx using the 20s), the airside bus is not so bad.

Every detail can be seen on LAX’s interactive map (where you can ask for walking directions and time and distance call too) at: https://maps.lawa.org

So the landside walk from TBIT to T3 can be 5-10 minutes plus an elevator ride. But whether you want to take this route depends on many things.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 8:00 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Technically they are next to each other, but in reality it depends on many factors. I’m assuming you’re talking about international to domestic. If you have checked bags to redeposit, you turn right before exit, making you slightly farther away from T3. After redeposit, you can reenter security right there at TBIT ground floor, go upstairs and walk north to the airside bus to T3. Or you can choose to walk out to the street like arriving passengers, turn left and walk to T3 either upstairs or downstairs.

“T3” now includes the former T2 and all gates 20-39. The DL check-in and TSA entrance are now right in between the 20s and 30s. The airside bus arrives at Gate 26B (near the tip of the former T2 finger). So if your next gate is one of the the 30s, taking the airside bus results in two unnecessary long walks. But if today’s gate numbers are representative (DL Conx using the 20s), the airside bus is not so bad.

Every detail can be seen on LAX’s interactive map (where you can ask for walking directions and time and distance call too) at: https://maps.lawa.org

So the landside walk from TBIT to T3 can be 5-10 minutes plus an elevator ride. But whether you want to take this route depends on many things.
I'll just add that - to the best of my recollection - the walk from the TBIT security checkpoint to the bus gates at TBIT is longer than the walk outdoors from TBIT to T3. The bus ride itself took another few minutes, so it it quicker to walk than to take the airside bus. Make sure to walk between the terminals on the upper - departures - level - to avoid cigarette smoke and vehicle exhaust fumes, and traffic noise.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by HkCaGu

Originally Posted by TWA884
I'll just add that - to the best of my recollection - the walk from the TBIT security checkpoint to the bus gates at TBIT is longer than the walk outdoors from TBIT to T3. The bus ride itself took another few minutes, so it it quicker to walk than to take the airside bus. Make sure to walk between the terminals on the upper - departures - level - to avoid cigarette smoke and vehicle exhaust fumes, and traffic noise.
Yes. International to domestic.

Thanks for the info. I'll redeposit my bags and walk outside, upper deck if possible, to T3. Seems easier than trying to find an airside bus.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Seems easier than trying to find an airside bus.
Yes, it is. The bus gates are numbers 136 - 146. It's in the remnant of the original TBIT concourse at the very northwest end of the North Concourse.

The following maps should give you an idea of the location of the bus gates in relation to T3.

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Finnair Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, National EE
Is the airside bus between T3/old T2 and TBIT available for pax connecting from DL to AV (or any airline that's not a DL partner)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.