2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.
"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

Resources

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.

All terminals at LAX are connected airside (above ground hallways between terminals 1 and T4, and T6, T7 and T8, and tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American Eagle). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.
LAX also now has an interactive map that will give detailed instructions between any two name-able points in the terminals (e.g. gates, restaurants, lounges, etc): Interactive Map

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from T1 to T2, T3, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2018 - 2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2022/23 updates are in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, CX Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884
Be mindful that JetBlue's cut off for checking bags is 40 minutes. I have no experience with how long it takes to get checked bags with Delta at LAX. With AA, it can easily take 30 minutes before the bags show up on the carousel. Assuming that your DL flight arrives on time and that's how long it takes to get your checked bags(s), you'll have almost an hour to get from T3 to T5; its' very doable by walking - I recommend the upper level to avoid exhaust fumes and traffic noise - or taking the inter-terminal connector shuttle (actually, you can take any airport operated shuttle bus between those two terminal, e.g., the Metro Connector or LAX Economy Parking buses).
This is really helpful to know, thank you so much!
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Is there a transfer desk in arrivals?
I'm curious. My aunt flew in on Eva Air from asia and connected to Delta on separate tickets I assume. She said she had to pickup her bags and take them over to the Delta terminal to check in. Is there no Delta desk/kiosk at arrivals where one can get their bags tagged so it can be dropped at the recheck area?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
Is there a transfer desk in arrivals?
I'm curious. My aunt flew in on Eva Air from asia and connected to Delta on separate tickets I assume. She said she had to pickup her bags and take them over to the Delta terminal to check in. Is there no Delta desk/kiosk at arrivals where one can get their bags tagged so it can be dropped at the recheck area?
The concept of transfer desk doesn't exist in the US because everyone has to clear immigration and customs.

There is a luggage re-check at TBIT right after custom but they usually just take luggages that are already tagged to final destination since not every airline has staff at the TBIT re-check station to check in passengers. If the luggage is not tagged to final destination it is usually advised to take the luggage to the departing airline to check it.
SPN Lifer and TWA884 like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA, Qantas, Virgin Aus
Minimum connection time lax

Hi everyone, is 2h 50m enough transit time in LAX? International to International.

SYD > LAX Terminal B (QF17, landing at 16:10)
LAX > LHR Terminal 7 (UA923, departing 19:00)

I understand, I'll need to go through immigration, get my checked luggage, recheckin luggage etc..

Is 2h 50m sufficient? In the event that my inbound Qantas flight is delayed, and I don't make the connecting flight. Who do I go to at the airport to get rebooked on next available flight? I'm travelling in Premium Economy and OneWorld Sapphire, if this makes a slight difference?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by techflyerlondon; Oct 9, 2023 at 1:02 pm Reason: add more detail
Old Oct 9, 2023, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
On one ticket or two? OW status won't help with UA unfortunately.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
On one ticket or two? OW status won't help with UA unfortunately.
It's on a single ticket, same number all the way. Swiss Air International is the ticket issuer.
When I go to baggage policy on the Swiss website, it says the following "Most significant carrier is Qantas Airways (QF)"
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'd have the 800 numbers for Swiss and UA programmed into your cell phone. Go to UA first if you miss the connection but usually it's the ticketing carrier (LX) that has to handle anything.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I'd have the 800 numbers for Swiss and UA programmed into your cell phone. Go to UA first if you miss the connection but usually it's the ticketing carrier (LX) that has to handle anything.
Oh really? It's not the responsibility of the carrier that arrived into LAX late? I.e QF in this situation?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by techflyerlondon
Oh really? It's not the responsibility of the carrier that arrived into LAX late? I.e QF in this situation?
LX only paid QF for the SYD-LAX portion and they completed that trip. QF didn't issue your LAX-LHR ticket so they are not likely to be able to offer any meaningful assistance at LAX.

The most significant carrier thing only applies to luggage rules. It doesn't have anything to do with who is responsible for irr-op. The ticketing airline is normally the responsible party for flight interruptions.
techflyerlondon likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bzcat
The concept of transfer desk doesn't exist in the US because everyone has to clear immigration and customs.

There is a luggage re-check at TBIT right after custom but they usually just take luggages that are already tagged to final destination since not every airline has staff at the TBIT re-check station to check in passengers. If the luggage is not tagged to final destination it is usually advised to take the luggage to the departing airline to check it.
That's what I thought. Pretty annoying if someone has to lug all of their bags to another terminal. I'd think the big 3 would have some sort of presence, but for my aunt, DL did not.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 9:11 pm

i'd be shocked it Delta didn't have a checked luggage agent at Bradley arrivals south exit for at least the peak early morning and afternoon hours where a dozen+ partner airline flights arrive with several hundreds of daily onward Delta passengers.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
52 minute connection. - how viable?

Hi,
I’m travelling through LAX and wonder how viable a 52 min connection is. I always travel carry-on and can run if needed
Flights are:
AA 3166 DEN —> LAX
AA 1719 LAX —> YVR
Would they leave and depart from the same terminal?
Thanks! Jenn
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Jennacdn
Hi,
I’m travelling through LAX and wonder how viable a 52 min connection is. I always travel carry-on and can run if needed
Flights are:
AA 3166 DEN —> LAX
AA 1719 LAX —> YVR
Thanks! Jenn
AA 3166 is an American Eagle flight operated by Skywest, so it will arrive in the remote Eagle terminal. From there you will have to take a bus to either T5 or T4, from where your flight to YVR will depart. The buses leave fairly frequently and the ride takes approximately 5-10 minutes, depending on aircraft movements on the taxiways. If your flight from Denver is on time, you will make your connection, although you will arrive at the departure gate after your flight to Vancouver has started boarding.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Hi, I’m travelling through LAX and wonder how viable a 52 min connection is. I always travel carry-on and can run if needed Flights are: AA 3166 DEN —> LAX AA 1719 LAX —> YVR Would they leave and depart from the same terminal? Thanks! Jenn
Your incoming flight is American Eagle and will arrive at the remote terminal. Your next flight could depart from T4 or T5. You should know your next gate number before boarding the shuttle bus, so you know whether to get off at T4 or T5.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 12:09 pm

Hi,
Flights are:
AA 3166 DEN —> LAX
AA 1719 LAX —> YVR
Thanks! Jenn
This is ok if they are on the same ticket.

A bit too rushed if they are on separate tickets due to arrival in remote terminal and departure from either T4, T5, or TBIT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.