2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.
"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

Resources

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.

All terminals at LAX are connected airside (above ground hallways between terminals 1 and T4, and T6, T7 and T8, and tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American Eagle). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.
LAX also now has an interactive map that will give detailed instructions between any two name-able points in the terminals (e.g. gates, restaurants, lounges, etc): Interactive Map

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from T1 to T2, T3, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2018 - 2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2022/23 updates are in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SCChris
FYI, the secure area connector between T3 and TBIT is now open. The entire airport is now walkable in the secure area of the airport except between T1 and T2 which is still closed due to other construction and obviously the American Eagle terminal that requires a bus ride.

https://www.lawa.org/news-releases/2...ws-release-033
Any reports on availability of check-in kiosks in the T3-TBIT corridor, such as between T4 and TBIT?
Old Sep 3, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Any reports on availability of check-in kiosks in the T3-TBIT corridor, such as between T4 and TBIT?
Based on the pictures posted in the DL Forum there aren't any yet. There is a DL Customer Service Center at the T3 end of the new connector.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35541957-post12.html
Old Sep 7, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This isn't a connection question but I can't figure out a better place to ask.

I typically only fly through lax. Tomorrow night (Sat 9/9) I have an AA flight leaving from the eagles nest about 7:30pm. I won't have a checked bag so I'm trying to figure out what time I should get to lax. I hope it's not two hours but I can hang out in the admirals club.

Thanks in advance for the helpful tips
Old Sep 7, 2023, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The bus ride from T4 or T5 to Eagle's Nest is roughly 15 min on average. The bus will probably stop at least once or twice to wait for passing aircraft.

The rest is up to your comfort level. If you are ok with arriving 30 min before departure from T4, then plan to arrive 45~50 min before your Eagle departure. It's totally doable with Precheck and no checked luggage.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks. I do have Precheck. I appreciate the quick feedback!
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Need boarding pass for lax-sin

Yka-yvr Ac
Yvr-lax Ua
Lax-sin SQ J

AC can't issue the SQ BP. Where is the transit desk? In TBIT? Super annoying as was hoping to get into polaris first.

Any bright ideas otherwise does anyone know where the transfer desk is? Thanks so much!
Edit: the wiki says no transfer desk?!?! So we have to leave security? Or not go to any lounge and wait at the gate 😔

Last edited by canadianhockey91; Sep 13, 2023 at 10:42 am
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by canadianhockey91
Super annoying as was hoping to get into polaris first.
If AC can't do it, maybe UA can. Try T7 CS counter or the UC or the PL.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Thanks! Yes I think my plan of action is try polaris lounge agents. If they can't doubtful any UA agent can. Then I'll like give up and go to TBIT and hopefully the star Alliance lounge can issue it. Really do not want to go out of security then back in.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
If the UA agents are unable to do it, there are shared check in kiosks in the T4-TBIT connector. In addition, there should be SQ agents in the Star Alliance lounge at TBIT. Lastly, the agents at the gate should be able to issue the boarding pass.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 6:45 am

connection between terminal 1 and B in LAX

I will arrive in LAX by SW, so I think I will be at terminal 1. I need to claim baggage. Then depart from terminal B.

Anybody know if there is a walkway after baggage claim from terminal 1 to B please? I don't want to take shuttle bus because I will travel with kid and 3 pieces of luggage. I think it's better to walk from terminal 1 to B.

Thank you!
Old Sep 14, 2023, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'll move this to our California forum, where you're likely to get the best answers.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk
Old Sep 14, 2023, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xiaoxiaoyao
I will arrive in LAX by SW, so I think I will be at terminal 1. I need to claim baggage. Then depart from terminal B.

Anybody know if there is a walkway after baggage claim from terminal 1 to B please? I don't want to take shuttle bus because I will travel with kid and 3 pieces of luggage. I think it's better to walk from terminal 1 to B.

Thank you!
Yes - it's a pretty simple walk. You can either walk on the upper or lower level. Generally, the upper level is a bit nicer because it's open air, versus the lower level where it's dark and you're deal with exhaust fumes. You'll exit baggage claim on the lower level. Just head upstairs and take a right and head down to the Bradley termina.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, CX Silver
DL to B6 domestic self-connection (two separate tickets) - Is 2h4m enough time?

Would really appreciate any insight or advice from LAX regulars on this - Is a 2h4m layover enough for a domestic self-connection between DL and B6?

Will be flying with checked baggage on two separate premium tickets - First Class into LAX T3 on Delta and Mint out of LAX T5 on Jetblue.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Yes - it's a pretty simple walk. You can either walk on the upper or lower level. Generally, the upper level is a bit nicer because it's open air, versus the lower level where it's dark and you're deal with exhaust fumes. You'll exit baggage claim on the lower level. Just head upstairs and take a right and head down to the Bradley termina.
Thank you so much!
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by phh1998
Would really appreciate any insight or advice from LAX regulars on this - Is a 2h4m layover enough for a domestic self-connection between DL and B6?

Will be flying with checked baggage on two separate premium tickets - First Class into LAX T3 on Delta and Mint out of LAX T5 on Jetblue.
Be mindful that JetBlue's cut off for checking bags is 40 minutes. I have no experience with how long it takes to get checked bags with Delta at LAX. With AA, it can easily take 30 minutes before the bags start showing up on the carousel. Assuming that your DL flight arrives on time and that's how long it takes to get your checked bags(s), you'll have almost an hour to get from T3 to T5; its' very doable by walking - I recommend the upper level to avoid exhaust fumes and traffic noise - or taking the inter-terminal connector shuttle (actually, you can take any airport operated shuttle bus between those two terminal, e.g., the Metro Connector or LAX Economy Parking buses).
phh1998 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.