Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.
"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

Resources

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.

All terminals at LAX are connected airside (above ground hallways between terminals 1 and T4, and T6, T7 and T8, and tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American Eagle). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.
LAX also now has an interactive map that will give detailed instructions between any two name-able points in the terminals (e.g. gates, restaurants, lounges, etc): Interactive Map

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from T1 to T2, T3, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2018 - 2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2022/23 updates are in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Thanks for the replies. The reason for the LAS-LAX-JFK is it’s part of a BA international ticket DUB-ORD ORD-LAS LAX-JFK JFK-LHR-DUB in business. It’s under <€2k but adding the LAS-LAX onto that ticket, even in Y adds over €700.

Im not married to UA on the LAS-LAX leg, the only reason I was considering it is it’s the earliest flight out of LAS but I could choose AA/DL/AS etc.

And as a reference point, I’m BA Gold
Ok, that makes a little more sense now. How much connecting time do the AA or AS options give you?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Ok, that makes a little more sense now. How much connecting time do the AA or AS options give you?
AA 2hrs 45
AS 2hrs 30

Conceivably I could do LAS-SFO-JFK again on 2 tickets if SFO was an easier connection
Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
AA 2hrs 45
AS 2hrs 30

Conceivably I could do LAS-SFO-JFK again on 2 tickets if SFO was an easier connection
SFO is NOT easier and in fact much more prone to delays than LAX. If on two separate tickets, stick with LAX especially early in the morning.
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If I was on 2 AA flights (separate tickets), would they rebook if the first flight was delayed?
AA 2hrs 45
AS 2hrs 30

Then go with the 2:45 on AA. You'll at least be arriving/departing from the same T4/T5 at LAX.
SPN Lifer, TWA884, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 8:04 am

If you are BA gold fly AA you should get priority check in at LAS and free luggage though if you are flying FC you would already have that

look up your flight on flightaware prior to checking in your bag make sure the incoming equipment is there or in flight and on time, once you hand over your bag your flexibility to change flights is greatly reduced if you haven’t checked in your bag and if your flight is delayed or canceled just buy a ticket on another airline you have plenty of options and can get a refund for the unused ticket
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As the question posed in the OP is really more about how long is enough to move between LAX terminals than it is about AA or AAdvantage, I am going to move this thread to the relevant Destinations forum.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Since a miss risks the remainder of your BA ticket, I would want at least 4 hours at LAX on separate tickets. Depending on the LAX departure time, I'd consider coming in the night before.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Since a miss risks the remainder of your BA ticket, I would want at least 4 hours at LAX on separate tickets. Depending on the LAX departure time, I'd consider coming in the night before.
I low-key agree with this sentiment, though understand people do this stuff all the time. While I am a bit risk averse with this stuff, I personally wouldn’t be comfortable risking a return leg of an international itinerary like this and probably would book a hotel at LAX for the night before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.