Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Old May 11, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint (photo illustrations), a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2018 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

LAX Terminal Maps

How to enter LAX/Parking Map

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 22 April 2019 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I am sure there is an existing thread, but I had done a quick search w/o much luck. Feel free to merge. Thanks in advance!

I have a returned flight arriving from SYD at 6:10am at LAX T7. Will there be enough time to clear customs, pick up baggage, and catch a connecting flight at 8:45am in T6 (separate ticket). Boarding for the onward flight should be around 8am?

Don't have GE, but uses Mobile Passport App.
@Repooc17, welcome to FlyerTalk.

Yes, there is a a sticky thread right at the top of the forum's thread list, titled 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread. I have merged your question into it.

With checked luggage and without Global Entry, I'd be a bit leery of that connection if it is on separate PNR's (or tickets).

From what I understand - I travel only with carry-on luggage - it normally takes at least an hour for checked luggage to get to the carousels at TBIT. By that time, there is likely to be a fairly long line to exit the customs hall. With checked luggage, you'd have to take the Airlines Connections shuttle, which runs every 10 minutes. With the wait and traffic congestion it can take as long as 30 minutes to get from TBIT to T7 (its a 15-20 minutes walk). United cutoff for checking in luggage at LAX is 45 minutes, so you'd have to be there - at the head of the line - no later than 8:00. That leaves you only 1 hour and 50 minutes to get off the plane, clear immigration, wait for your luggage, pass customs inspections and make it to T7 on the shuttle. Too close for my comfort level.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
@Repooc17, welcome to FlyerTalk.

Yes, there is a a sticky thread right at the top of the forum's thread list, titled 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread. I have merged your question into it.

With checked luggage and without Global Entry, I'd be a bit leery of that connection if it is on separate PNR's (or tickets).

From what I understand - I travel only with carry-on luggage - it normally takes at least an hour for checked luggage to get to the carousels at TBIT. By that time, there is likely to be a fairly long line to exit the customs hall. With checked luggage, you'd have to take the Airlines Connections shuttle, which runs every 10 minutes. With the wait and traffic congestion it can take as long as 30 minutes to get from TBIT to T7 (its a 15-20 minutes walk). United cutoff for checking in luggage at LAX is 45 minutes, so you'd have to be there - at the head of the line - no later than 8:00. That leaves you only 1 hour and 50 minutes to get off the plane, clear immigration, wait for your luggage, pass customs inspections and make it to T7 on the shuttle. Too close for my comfort level.
Thanks TWA for the insight!

I thought TBIT as well for the arrival terminal, but Google is saying T7. I have a domestic connection on VX at T6.

I haven't been to LAX in at least 20 years. Sounds like there is not a people mover to traverse across terminals?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Thanks TWA for the insight!

I thought TBIT as well for the arrival terminal, but Google is saying T7. I have a domestic connection on VX at T6.

I haven't been to LAX in at least 20 years. Sounds like there is not a people mover to traverse across terminals?
My bad for not reading your original message carefully.

Actually, T7 and T6 share a Federal Inspection Services facility; the exit from that customs hall is at T6. That will save you the time that it takes to transfer from one terminal from another; all you'll need to do is to take an elevator or escalator up one floor from the arrivals to departures level.

I've heard mixed reviews of clearing immigration and customs inspections at T6/T7. I'm not sure where, perhaps the United forum. If I find any, I'll come back and edit this post.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:07 pm

I've heard mixed reviews of clearing immigration and customs inspections at T6/T7. I'm not sure where, perhaps the United forum. If I find any, I'll come back and edit this post.
I don't have the time to do a thorough search right now, however, there should be some discussion of how long it takes to clear immigration and customs at the T6/T7 CBP facility in the following thread in the United forum:
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
My bad for not reading your original message carefully.

Actually, T7 and T6 share a Federal Inspection Services facility; the exit from that customs hall is at T6. That will save you the time that it takes to transfer from one terminal from another; all you'll need to do is to take an elevator or escalator up one floor from the arrivals to departures level.

Thanks! I don't have to check luggage - it will be quick trip and back in 4 full days.

Cost is the sole reason to have separate tickets. It would have been thousands more on one PNR.

I will check out the link. Thanks again for the advice!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checked with UA, and was told the arrival terminal will be TBIT.

Checking with the UA FTers for approx. timing, which will be the key.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: sk
Would appreciate some help on this...

Will be flying tomorrow Sun 17th from PHX via LAX to ARN.

PHX - LAX arrives at T7/8, and LAX - ARN departs from TBIT.
Transfer 1 h 39 min only. SK 940 departs at 2 pm-ish.
Traveling on same ticket.
Luggage checked in all the way.

Question - how do I best get from T7/8 to TBIT given the short transfer? I think I can find my way through the airside link from T7/8 via T6, T5 and T4, but it is not clear for me if I still need to clear TSA at TBIT.
Is there a true airside link all the way to TBIT? Where do I enter TBIT in that case?

Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Valzu
Would appreciate some help on this...

Will be flying tomorrow Sun 17th from PHX via LAX to ARN.

PHX - LAX arrives at T7/8, and LAX - ARN departs from TBIT.
Transfer 1 h 39 min only. SK 940 departs at 2 pm-ish.
Traveling on same ticket.
Luggage checked in all the way.

Question - how do I best get from T7/8 to TBIT given the short transfer? I think I can find my way through the airside link from T7/8 via T6, T5 and T4, but it is not clear for me if I still need to clear TSA at TBIT.
Is there a true airside link all the way to TBIT? Where do I enter TBIT in that case?

Thanks.
You walk from 8 or 7 to 6 (departures level, just make sure you don't exit security) then walk down 6 and go downstairs to the underground walkways - go from 6 to 5 to 4, Come upstairs @ 4, make sure you don't exit security, go to the left (just before that point) and that takes you to TBIT. Probably 20 minutes total. All airside.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: None
LAX baggage drop off for domestic connection to phx - flying emirates to LAX

my parents are using Emirates to reach LAX, using domestic flight to reach PHX. I want to know what options they have so that they can drop off their bags as come out after customs. Emirates had. Ode share with JetBlue but need to have tickets booked through emirates only which we haven't done. JetBlue CR said it's at baggage counter discretion. I don't want to take any chances. Does anyone have any experience for using this facility when flying emirates?

Really appreciate your help.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:53 am

Hello everyone. I need some insight from all you LAX FT experts.

I've always had problems getting around LAX when I'm trying to catch connecting flights.

I understand that Delta had relocated to Terminals 2 and 3.

It just so happens that next month I'm flying Delta from YVR to ATL with a 3-hour layover at LAX.

Well, it turns out that my outbound flight from YVR is with Westjet. After all, my reservation states that my Delta flight out of YVR is "Operated by Westjet".

From what I understand, Westjet flights are housed in T2 at LAX. This means that after landing at LAX, I have to transfer over to a Delta connecting flight for my trip to ATL.

Since I'll be switching airlines (my first trip originating in Canada no less) at LAX, I have several concerns.

Will I have to reclaim my checked luggage at LAX before boarding my Delta connecting flight to ATL?

Once I deplane my Westjet flight at LAX, will I have to obtain a separate boarding pass for my Delta connecting flight?

Will I have to travel from T2 to T3 during my layover at LAX? If so, could I make this trip airside? Or will I have to re-clear TSA screening?

I've been having nightmares about my upcoming YVR-LAX-ATL trip. So I could use some expertise.

Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Jericho-79
<snip>

<snip>

Will I have to travel from T2 to T3 during my layover at LAX? If so, could I make this trip airside? Or will I have to re-clear TSA screening?

<snip>
They have airside shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and TBIT.

There is a lot of useful information about the logistics of flying Delta in and out of LAX in the aftermath of the terminal move in the following thread in the Delta forum:
While I am not familiar with WestJet to Delta connections, I assume that since you are flying on a codeshared flight, your luggage will be checked through to ATL and WestJet will issue you the boarding passes for your DL flight from LAX to ATL.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:10 am

They have airside shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and TBIT.

There is a lot of useful information about the logistics of flying Delta in and out of LAX in the aftermath of the terminal move in the following thread in the Delta forum:
Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to do my research on it.

How often do these airside shuttles run between T2 and T3?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Nick.22
my parents are using Emirates to reach LAX, using domestic flight to reach PHX. I want to know what options they have so that they can drop off their bags as come out after customs. Emirates had. Ode share with JetBlue but need to have tickets booked through emirates only which we haven't done. JetBlue CR said it's at baggage counter discretion. I don't want to take any chances. Does anyone have any experience for using this facility when flying emirates?

Really appreciate your help.
Emirates will have to tag the bags to PHX when your parents check in at Dubai. But they probably won't because it is on two different tickets.

If the bags are tagged to PHX, your parents can drop off the bags at luggage re-check station after they clear customs.

If the bags are not tagged to PHX, your parents have to take the bags with them to T5 where they need to check in with JetBlue.

You probably should ask this question at the Emirates forum. They will know if Emirates will check bags to final destination on separate tickets.

Originally Posted by Jericho-79
Hello everyone. I need some insight from all you LAX FT experts.

I've always had problems getting around LAX when I'm trying to catch connecting flights.

It just so happens that next month I'm flying Delta from YVR to ATL with a 3-hour layover at LAX.

Well, it turns out that my outbound flight from YVR is with Westjet. After all, my reservation states that my Delta flight out of YVR is "Operated by Westjet".

From what I understand, Westjet flights are housed in T2 at LAX. This means that after landing at LAX, I have to transfer over to a Delta connecting flight for my trip to ATL.

Since I'll be switching airlines (my first trip originating in Canada no less) at LAX, I have several concerns.

Will I have to reclaim my checked luggage at LAX before boarding my Delta connecting flight to ATL?

Once I deplane my Westjet flight at LAX, will I have to obtain a separate boarding pass for my Delta connecting flight?

I've been having nightmares about my upcoming YVR-LAX-ATL trip. So I could use some expertise.

Thanks everyone.
You should seriously consider not checking any bags. I'm pretty sure Westjet can issue a boarding pass but they won't check your bags to ATL (Westjet and Delta do not interline even if you are on a code share flight).

Flights from YVR has pre-clearance so the arrival procedure is basically that of a domestic flight. If you don't have checked bags, you just proceed to the gate of your connecting flight. Most LAX-ATL flights depart from T2 so you don't even need to leave the terminal.

If you check a bag, you have to exit the secured area, go to luggage claim, and then go back upstairs and clear security.

This will turn an easy painless 5 minute walk from one gate to another into a 1.5 hour painful ordeal.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 26, 2017 at 5:55 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
You should seriously consider not checking any bags. I'm pretty sure Westjet can issue a boarding pass but they won't check your bags to ATL (Westjet and Delta do not interline even if you are on a code share flight).

Flights from YVR has pre-clearance so the arrival procedure is basically that of a domestic flight. If you don't have checked bags, you just proceed to the gate of your connecting flight. Most LAX-ATL flights depart from T2 so you don't even need to leave the terminal.

If you check a bag, you have to exit the secured area, go to luggage claim, and then go back upstairs and clear security.

This will turn an easy painless 5 minute walk from one gate to another into a 1.5 hour painful ordeal.
I have no choice but to bring along a checked bag. I'm spending two days in Vancouver (starting tomorrow), immediately followed by five days in Atlanta.

I have a 3.5-hour layover at LAX. That should (perhaps) give me ample time to reclaim my luggage at the baggage claim downstairs, and then re-clear TSA security back upstairs.

The last time I connected at LAX, it was at the end of an international flight from AUK. My checked luggage was tagged to my final destination (EWR), but I had to reclaim it at the baggage claim. However, after exiting baggage claim, I merely placed my luggage onto a "transfer (conveyer) belt" before being directed to the TSA re-screening area for my domestic flight to EWR. I didn't have to re-check my bags.

Doesn't the same process apply for deplaning passengers arriving from Canada and connecting at LAX?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:21 am

2018/9 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Originally Posted by bzcat

I have no choice but to bring along a checked bag. I'm spending two days in Vancouver (starting tomorrow), followed by five days in Atlanta.

I have a 3.5-hour layover at LAX. That should (perhaps) give me ample time to reclaim my luggage at the baggage claim downstairs, and then re-clear TSA security back upstairs.

The last time I connected at LAX, it was at the end of an international flight from AUK to EWR. My checked luggage was tagged to EWR, but I had to reclaim it at the baggage claim. However, I just placed my luggage onto a "transfer (conveyer) belt" before re-clearing TSA screening for my domestic flight to the East Coast. I didn't have to re-check my bags.

Doesn't the same process apply for deplaning passengers arriving from Canada and connecting at LAX?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.