2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.
"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

Resources

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.

All terminals at LAX are connected airside (above ground hallways between terminals 1 and T4, and T6, T7 and T8, and tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American Eagle). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.
LAX also now has an interactive map that will give detailed instructions between any two name-able points in the terminals (e.g. gates, restaurants, lounges, etc): Interactive Map

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from T1 to T2, T3, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2018 - 2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2022/23 updates are in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: NZ*GE
Transit times LAX these days

Hi, meeting a friend who is transiting LAX between an Air Canada flight and NZ6 (8.55pm). She arrives at 1pm, bags checked all the way through. Is 2 hrs prior to the NZ flight enough to get her back to LAX atm to make NZ6? We’ll not go far, probably just to Manhattan Beach. Thanks very much
Old Feb 4, 2023, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Flygirlnz
Hi, meeting a friend who is transiting LAX between an Air Canada flight and NZ6 (8.55pm). She arrives at 1pm, bags checked all the way through. Is 2 hrs prior to the NZ flight enough to get her back to LAX atm to make NZ6? We’ll not go far, probably just to Manhattan Beach. Thanks very much
If she will already be possessing her NZ boarding pass, then 2 hours is good enough, as I can't imagine TSA taking more than an hour.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flygirlnz
Also worth noting that if you have a valid boarding pass you can clear security in any terminal. So if for some reason there are slow lines in TBIT, she can go to any terminal to clear TSA. All the south terminals (4 through 7) are connected by airside walkways to TBIT. The north complex has an airside bus from 1.5 to TBIT, but no walking connection. The TSA app gives current average wait times, but doesn't split it out by terminal. After 6 pm is off peak and looks like it's generally less than 20 minutes to clear TSA, even without precheck.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
The north complex has an airside bus from 1.5 to TBIT, but no walking connection. The TSA app gives current average wait times, but doesn't split it out by terminal. After 6 pm is off peak and looks like it's generally less than 20 minutes to clear TSA, even without precheck.
The T1.5 bus goes to TBIT West (MSC) which is a long walk back to TBIT Main. Also, bus services may be limited to scheduled LCC (Breeze, Allegiant, Sun Country) operating hours. And TBIT TSA in the evening is a zoo.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:25 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
The T1.5 bus goes to TBIT West (MSC) which is a long walk back to TBIT Main. Also, bus services may be limited to scheduled LCC (Breeze, Allegiant, Sun Country) operating hours. And TBIT TSA in the evening is a zoo.
There is a shuttle between Terminal 2 and the main TBIT concourse, the bus gates are 136 -146.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DeepSnap
BLUF: AMCITS (seniors), NZ & AUS eVisas received, Global Entry card carriers, Delta Platinum Medallion, Delta Million Miler

My wife (bad knees & back - wheel chair assist requested) & I are taking a cruise soon & flying ATL-LAX-AKL on the front end.

Once upon a time Delta & Air New Zealand had a baggage interline agreement, but no more. The tickets were booked through a travel agent, then through the cruise line & carry a ANZ ticket number so no one, ANZ included, wants to change the DAL leg to a flight 90 minutes earlier for any less than TINS $2500.

Has anyone recently had to claim bags at LAX T3, transfer (prob by bus) & re-check at TBIT, then go through TSA? If yes, about how long did it take? We've been given 2 hrs 20 min between flights at LAX, so it's a do-able deal if "Murphy" is not in play & the FAA doesn't mess things up, the flight is on time or early, etc. Have done this type of "no-fun" connection at JFK before & swore never to do it again. But that's what we get for letting Oceania Cruises do the air booking.

Coming back is all United from SYD-SFO-ATL, so it's not a problem on the back end.

Comments?

TIA.
Just to (long) follow-up a week after getting home.....

Evidently Delta & Air New Zealand have patched things up on their Baggage Interline Agreement & we were able to check our bags all the way from HSV thru LAX to AKL. And yes, I did go by Delta baggage claim at LAX just to make sure they weren't sitting there.... invested in Samsung SmartTags before we left & they worked fine. Free carts from the Delta T3..... pay SmartCarts available nearby.

TSA Pre-Check is a bit of a joke at TBIA..... no one manning what passed for a line & no signage...... the contractors - "it's not my job" - controlling access to the inspection area provide no instructions at all - and I got the first "intimate" patdown I've ever had to endure.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 20, 2023 at 10:48 pm Reason: Way off-topic for the Los Angeles forum
Old Mar 5, 2023, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TWA884
There is a shuttle between Terminal 2 and the main TBIT concourse, the bus gates are 136 -146.
Where is the T2 bus gate located? The DL website map isn't helpful in this regard.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Where is the T2 bus gate located? The DL website map isn't helpful in this regard.
LAX interactive map

I haven't used the bus, but the interactive map is pretty good.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
When I last visited (Dec 2022) it was at Gate 26B. The interactive map then and now says 21A which was nowhere to be found.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
When I last visited (Dec 2022) it was at Gate 26B. The interactive map then and now says 21A which was nowhere to be found.
On March 2nd, 2023, it was still at 26A.

David
HkCaGu likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
I have a PPT-LAS flight in September, connecting at LAX.

Original arrival at LAX was 10:45 with a departure for LAS at 14:15. So a 3.5hr connecting time

Just had an email to say this has now changed-The 14:15 flight is no more...

Arrival is at 10:45 with a departure to LAS at 19:30 !

I can see there are flights LAX to LAS at

13:00
18:30

Looking at the thread is it too optimistic to ask for the 13:00 departure?

PPT flight is Air Thahiti Nui which lands at TBIT
LAS flight is with Alaska so probably terminal 6.

We will have luggage but I assume these will be checked all the way through?

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by blindman
I have a PPT-LAS flight in September, connecting at LAX.

Original arrival at LAX was 10:45 with a departure for LAS at 14:15. So a 3.5hr connecting time

Just had an email to say this has now changed-The 14:15 flight is no more...

Arrival is at 10:45 with a departure to LAS at 19:30 !

I can see there are flights LAX to LAS at

13:00
18:30

Looking at the thread is it too optimistic to ask for the 13:00 departure?

PPT flight is Air Thahiti Nui which lands at TBIT
LAS flight is with Alaska so probably terminal 6.

We will have luggage but I assume these will be checked all the way through?

Thanks
Even if the luggage is checked through to LAS, you will still have to collect it at LAX and clear it through customs before rechecking it for your next flight. I'm not sure if things have changed, but it used to take as long as an hour for bags to start appearing on the luggage carousels at TBIT.

Then there is the issue of passport controls. If you have Global Entry, you can clear those in minutes. Without GE and a US passport, it could take a long time.

Common wisdom is to allow three hours for such a connection at LAX. Whether you should book an itinerary with a 2:15 connection from international to domestic at LAX depends on your comfort level.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
If you have US passport, you can probably roll the dice on the 13:00 connection. Entry at TBIT is pretty fast now days with self-service kiosk. The emphasis here is connection... meaning on the same ticket with same PRN and your luggage is tagged to final destination. If you have two separate tickets, don't attempt this without 3 hour time in between.

If you have foreign passport, you have to budget in maybe 45 min to clear immigration. Plus, up to an hour to collect checked luggage and clear custom. Plus 20 to walk from TBIT to T6. You see the problem...

If you have global entry and on the same ticket, you should have plenty of time to make the 13:00.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Thanks

Crazy
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, even if you don't clear Customs early enough, there are a plentiful of flights on AS or other airlines to LAS since you're arriving mid/late morning.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.