Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
1h AA regional to AA int'l connection - advice please!

I have a 60 min connection:

AA6037 (SJC-LAX) arrives in T5 at 8:35am
AA183 (LAX-PVG) departs T4 at 9:35am

- When does the gate close on my int'l flight?
- Are regional jets still landing in the satellite terminal?
- Flightaware shows that 80 of the last 82 flights arrived by 8:40am. Factor another 15 min taxiing and 10 min sprinting to T5 would mean that I get to gate at 9:05am latest. Is this a good assumption?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:45 am

all Eagle flights operate from the satellite gates
you take a bus from the satellite gates to either T4 or T5.
i would not be worried with that connection.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by eethan
I have a 60 min connection:

AA6037 (SJC-LAX) arrives in T5 at 8:35am
AA183 (LAX-PVG) departs T4 at 9:35am

- When does the gate close on my int'l flight?
- Are regional jets still landing in the satellite terminal?
- Flightaware shows that 80 of the last 82 flights arrived by 8:40am. Factor another 15 min taxiing and 10 min sprinting to T5 would mean that I get to gate at 9:05am latest. Is this a good assumption?
I believe when they list arrival time it's not the time of landing, it's when you get to the gate.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Originally Posted by Colin
all Eagle flights operate from the satellite gates
you take a bus from the satellite gates to either T4 or T5.
i would not be worried with that connection.
Say my incoming flight is 15 min late. Factor 10 - 20 min waiting and riding the direct bus from remote terminal to T4. Another 5 min walking to my gate means that in worst case I arrive at gate 20 min before departure. -whew!

Should be good right?

And it's a separate bus going direct from remote terminal to T4?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Doron
Thanks a lot. תודה רבה!!! (:

ontime record of LY05 is 96%(!) suprising for ELAL
It is two separate tickets... and that's what made me quite worried.
On the one hand, like the other person said: it is is plenty of time... so I am not so sure what to do.
Other flights will mean I am late to classes... but maybe I should not risk it.
Very simple, don't check your luggage. Just take a carry on and you will most likely make it. If you check luggage, your odds of making the connection go down to maybe 50% assuming you have no way to bypass normal TSA line.

Originally Posted by eethan
Say my incoming flight is 15 min late. Factor 10 - 20 min waiting and riding the direct bus from remote terminal to T4. Another 5 min walking to my gate means that in worst case I arrive at gate 20 min before departure. -whew!

Should be good right?

And it's a separate bus going direct from remote terminal to T4?
Is this on the same ticket? Both AA so if you check in at SJC, try to get boarding pass for both flights. This way at least AA knows you are on your way and they won't give away your seat until well past the last boarding call.

At the Eagle's Nest, there will be two lines for buses, one for T4 and one for T5. Just get on the T4 bus for your PVG flight (which will leave from gate 41 or 43 or TBIT)

This connection from Eagle's Nest to T4/TBIT int'l departure is made by hundreds of people everyday so I wouldn't stress out too much.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:09 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold

Edit: ignore this. Just seen a similar question a couple of posts up. Damn scrolling on phone!

Hi all, does a domestic - international connection have to re-clear security at LAX? If not, where do we get stamped out of the county?

We we are flying with AA tomorrow with a 1 hour 5min connection (LAS - LAX - LHR) and I cant figure out if its going to be a problem or not. I have searched for the answer but struggling to find it. Being on my phone probably doesnt help.

Appreciate any help.

Thank you.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond / CX Gold
Connection time within TBIT CX/TN

Hi, Im flying out from HKG on CX884 and connecting to TN7.

If all goes well, I will likely arrive into LAX at around 11am, and will have around 5-6hrs in between the two flight. However, just wondering what the minimum transfer time within TBIT? Do I still need to go though customs/security and pick up luggage?

Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:29 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Welcome to FlyerTalk @qqhqq!

There is no international transit in the US. Every arriving international passenger must clear immigration and customs even if they connect/transfer to another international flight..

If CX tagged your bags to your final destinations, at the exit from the customs hall turn to the right and drop them off at the transfer desks. Otherwise, you'll have to take them to the Air Tahiti Nui check-in desks on the departure level.

You will have to clear TSA security before boarding your next flight.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:39 pm

Thanks! Would 3hrs be about enough? Assuming no tsa precheck?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by qqhqq
Thanks! Would 3hrs be about enough? Assuming no tsa precheck?
For clearing immigration and customs inspections, checking in your luggage for the next flight and passing through TSA security? Depending on the day of the week, the time of day and whether you have a US or foreign passport, that could be tight.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:15 pm

Indeed. Decided not to chance it... leaving a good 12hrs in between... at least I get to wander LA a bit

Thanks TWA
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:41 am

Domestic to International Connection Time

I am flying from PHX to LAX via American Airlines. I will arrive at LAX at 1026. I was wondering if 2 hours is enough time to connect to my international flight via China Eastern which departs at 1230? They are separate tickets. I am planning on carrying-on my luggage. Thank you.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:17 am

the real question is will you be able to online check-in & get a boarding pass in advance OR will you need to get checked-in for China Eastern's flight once at LAX (and thus are subject to China Eastern's check-in cutoff time).

it won't take your more than 15 minutes to get from deplaning at T4/T5 from PHX (assuming mainline AA) to the LAX Bradley landside check-in (or Bradley's airside common self-service check-in machines on the walkway from T4 to Bradley).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
This is the air-side self-checking kiosk option located in T4 and TBIT. China Eastern doesn't seem to participate.

In general, these are your options if you have carry on luggage only - online or mobile check in if the airline allows it. Or wait until the boarding gate is assigned, and go to the gate to check in. The VIP lounge may also issue a boarding pass if you are flying premium cabin (airline and alliance policy varies)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:13 pm

assuming no boarding pass issued via online check in, i wouldn’t get under minimum checkin time waiting for gate assignment.
i’d go landside for checkin to ensure no denied boarding

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.