2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint (photo illustrations), a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2018 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

LAX Terminal Maps

How to enter LAX/Parking Map

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 22 April 2019 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by tomaszp
Airline #2 is JAL, Airline #3 is United.
Hi, so does UA have a check-in desk at the Int'l arrivals where I pick up the bags at first point of entry into U.S.? I'm flying in JAL from Narita and connecting to a domestic UA flight.

We're moving slowly with 15-month old twins and would love to avoid having to exit, re-check-in bags and go through security again (even with Global Entry and automatic TSA-Pre).

Thanks!
tomasz.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Colorado Dave
Hey everyone!

I'm hoping to get a little assistance with how much time I should allow between my LAX international arrival flight and domestic onward flight.

I will arrive at LAX Terminal B on Qantas QF11 from SYD at 0630. I have a Southwest flight (WN1850) booked to DIA which departs at 0925. Assuming the Qantas flight is on-time, this would allow just under 3 hours between flights.

Do you think this would be enough time? I have a US Passport so I assume that would save a little time at Customs/Immigration?

There is also a Southwest flight available at 1100 which I could switch to if needed which would allow 4.5 hours between flights. Does that seem excessive?

Thank you for any help!

Dave.
3 hours self-connect with Southwest is cutting it pretty close but you can probably make it to last boarding call assuming everything goes smoothly.

6:30 AM arrival means you should finally taxi to the gate near 7:00 AM. After that, you will walk to FIS which will take about 10~15 minutes, longer if you are at the back of the A380. You can clear FIS pretty quick - it is all self-service scanners now for US passport holders so you should be done with it in 30~40 minutes. Much quicker if you have Global Entry obviously.

The big delay will be customs. If you have checked bags, it is completely unpredictable... it could be there waiting for you or it could take another 45 minutes before your bag show up.

In total, I think you need to assume 60-90 minutes to clear FIS and Customs.

Then comes the fun part self-connecting with Southwest...

QF won't tag your bags to Denver so you can't re-check it after you exit custom. You need to take it with you.

TBIT to T1 transfer is the worst possible transfer at LAX - it is one of the longest walk OR one of the longest bus ride. Walk will take you about 25 minutes at leisurely pace. Bus will take you at least 30 minutes during peak departure domestic departure hours at LAX. Expect lots of traffic. I recommend walking if you are able bodied person.

You will probably get to T1 at around 8:30 AM and the place is going to be a zoo with check-in lines out the door and TSA queues overflowing to the ticketing area. You need to check-in and then clear TSA so give yourself at least 1 hour to do this.

You should make it to the gate just as they are finishing boarding for your 9:25 AM departure.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
3 hours self-connect with Southwest is cutting it pretty close but you can probably make it to last boarding call assuming everything goes smoothly.

6:30 AM arrival means you should finally taxi to the gate near 7:00 AM. After that, you will walk to FIS which will take about 10~15 minutes, longer if you are at the back of the A380. You can clear FIS pretty quick - it is all self-service scanners now for US passport holders so you should be done with it in 30~40 minutes. Much quicker if you have Global Entry obviously.

The big delay will be customs. If you have checked bags, it is completely unpredictable... it could be there waiting for you or it could take another 45 minutes before your bag show up.

In total, I think you need to assume 60-90 minutes to clear FIS and Customs.

Then comes the fun part self-connecting with Southwest...

QF won't tag your bags to Denver so you can't re-check it after you exit custom. You need to take it with you.

TBIT to T1 transfer is the worst possible transfer at LAX - it is one of the longest walk OR one of the longest bus ride. Walk will take you about 25 minutes at leisurely pace. Bus will take you at least 30 minutes during peak departure domestic departure hours at LAX. Expect lots of traffic. I recommend walking if you are able bodied person.

You will probably get to T1 at around 8:30 AM and the place is going to be a zoo with check-in lines out the door and TSA queues overflowing to the ticketing area. You need to check-in and then clear TSA so give yourself at least 1 hour to do this.

You should make it to the gate just as they are finishing boarding for your 9:25 AM departure.
Thank you very much for your very detailed reply bzcat, I really appreciate the time you took to answer my question!

I think I'll play it safe and change my 0925 Southwest flight to the 1100 flight just to save the stress. They are the same price so it will not cost any extra. It 'may' result in a couple of hours to kill in LAX, but I assume there'll be a restaurant or bar to grab a bite and a drink?

Thank you again!
Dave.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by tomaszp
Hi, so does UA have a check-in desk at the Int'l arrivals where I pick up the bags at first point of entry into U.S.? I'm flying in JAL from Narita and connecting to a domestic UA flight. We're moving slowly with 15-month old twins and would love to avoid having to exit, re-check-in bags and go through security again (even with Global Entry and automatic TSA-Pre).
There is no way you can go through CBP inspection on US soil and not exit landside. At LAX, TBIT landside exit can only recheck bags that have been tagged onward. Since you'll throw away your last flight (and tear away your tags), you have to bring them over to UA @ T7 and likely have to pay corresponding fees.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
There is no way you can go through CBP inspection on US soil and not exit landside. At LAX, TBIT landside exit can only recheck bags that have been tagged onward. Since you'll throw away your last flight (and tear away your tags), you have to bring them over to UA @ T7 and likely have to pay corresponding fees.
Thank you, HkCaGu. I'm prepared to pay the baggage fees. Typically, how busy are T7 check-in desks on Saturdays?
Old May 5, 2017, 10:34 am

Hi Guys....
My schedule:
AA-170: Narita - Lax (arr: 11:40)
DL-1083: (dep:14:21) Lax - Atlanta
So I have 2 hours + 41 minutes
I'm holding foreign passport that I have to pass immigration and I have 1 check-in luggage
Questions:
1. Am I effected by "LAX terminals after major shuffle" ??
2. Enough time AA International and Delta domestic?
3. When & where can I find out which is the arrival terminal and departure terminal?
4. Is there a DL's check-in counter in International Terminal (TBIT / T4) ?
5. What is the fastest way from AA International Terminal to Delta Domestic Terminal?
Thank You for any helping comments.
SP
Old May 5, 2017, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Welcome to FlyerTalk @g3nd03t!

To give you a better answer, it would help to know the date that you'll be arriving. The actual moves involved in the terminal shuffle will be taking place on May 12-16 (please refer to the LAX Terminal Shuffle (May 2017) thread for more details).

As far as the time that it will take you to clear immigration and customs, that may depend on your passport (nationality) and visa type. 2:41 hrs may be cutting it close. Last night, I was on the Parking Spot shuttle with an American couple who was returning from Costa Rica. They complained that it took them over two hours to clear the immigration process. You will need to factor in time to transfer between terminals and to check your bag for your DL flight before the check-in cutoff (45 min before departure time). You may want to refer to the Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread for more advice on that subject.

As for your other questions:

The arrival and departure terminals should be available on the respective airlines websites when the time of your flights get closer (check flight status). American's international flights arrive at both TBIT and T4. Most of AA's arriving passengers clear the immigration process at TBIT and all AA's passengers with checked bags clear customs at TBIT.

Currently, Delta does not have check-in counters at TBIT. DL check-in counters are now located at T5 and T6. After next weekend's relocation, they will be moved to T2 and T3.

There are Airport Connections shuttle buses running on the lower level roadway of the airport, however, in most instance it is quicker to walk. It takes only 5-10 minutes to walk between adjacent terminal. Take a look at the wikipost at the top of the page for a map of the airport showing the terminals locations and a lot of other useful information.

P.S. AA has non-stop flights between LAX and ATL. If it is not too late, it may be prudent to switch your continuing flight so that you arrive and depart on AA. In that case, you may be able to check your bags through all the to ATL, so that you can just drop them off as you exit the customs hall, and you will be protected in case of misconnecting due to a late arriving flight or delays in clearing immigration and customs inspections.

Last edited by TWA884; May 5, 2017 at 4:14 pm Reason: Clarity
Old May 6, 2017, 7:44 am

Need Help

Hi TWA884.....
Thank you very much for your explanation !!

Additional infos:
Date: May 15, 2017 arrival
Unfortunately, I already fully paid the tickets above

I'm holding Indonesian Passport
Visa type: b1/b2 (business / tourist)
1 check-in luggage

Is there somebody from AA/DL/or somebody at the TBIT / T4 that I can talk to, maybe to assist me because of "too close" flight schedule ?

Thanks & Regards,
g3nd03t
Old May 6, 2017, 11:16 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by g3nd03t
Is there somebody from AA/DL/or somebody at the TBIT / T4 that I can talk to, maybe to assist me because of "too close" flight schedule ?
LAX is my home airport; I have never connected there. I also never travel with checked bags. When I had tight connections at JFK and MIA, arriving and departing on the same airline, customer service representatives met me at the aircraft door and handed me bright orange "Express Connection" ticket sleeves - with my information written on them - that speeded my way through immigration, customs and TSA security (it really did not do much for me since I have Global Entry and TSA PreCheck). They have a similar service at LAX, however, it is not offered to passengers traveling on separate tickets.

There should be an AA agent present as you get off the airplane. Try talking to them. There should also be both AA and DL representatives at the transfer/recheck/bag drop off desks at the exit from the customs hall but they generally handle only pre tagged luggage.

There is a good thread in the Delta forum discussing many aspects of the terminals relocation (LAX 2017 Terminal Move: The Definitive Thread). You will be arriving in the middle of the move chaos. There will be a lot of confusion that day. I am sure that many passengers will be late and/or missing flights; most will probably be re-accommodated on later flights on a standby basis. However, that is a question that is better answered in the Delta forum. As far as I know, DL still has a "Flat tire rule".
Old May 8, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by g3nd03t
Hi TWA884.....
Thank you very much for your explanation !!

Additional infos:
Date: May 15, 2017 arrival
Unfortunately, I already fully paid the tickets above

I'm holding Indonesian Passport
Visa type: b1/b2 (business / tourist)
1 check-in luggage

Thanks & Regards,
g3nd03t
When you arrive, there should be an AA agent outside the jet bridge handing out transit pass. You need to take one of those and get in the "transit" line at immigration. The line should be shorter than the general line for visitors.

There is nothing AA can do about your connection because you are not on a onward AA domestic flight. You also have to clear immigration AND custom.

Your odds of making your connection increase significantly if you do not check luggage because then you don't need to wait for the bags to come out. You can proceed directly to the exit once you clear immigration.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:17 pm

Does TBIT have airside check-in desks for transferring/connecting passengers?

I am on a single ticket Seattle-LAX (on alaska), connecting on to LAN airlines, on AAward ticket.

I have my Alaska airlines boarding pass, SEA-LAX, but cannot check in online and get a boarding pass in seattle for LAN airlines.

When I land in LAX (Terminal 4 ... Terminal 6 thanks sdsearch), I know I can go airside to TBIT through the connector.

But I don't have a boarding pass yet for LAN. How or where do I get it airside in TBIT? Does LAN/OneWorld have desks airside in TBIT to help me check in and get a boarding pass for LAN?

<I'm not sure if this thread fits in some LAX thread or LAN etc, so posting here>

Last edited by nomii; May 18, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Old May 18, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomii
I am on a single ticket Seattle-LAX (on alaska), connecting on to LAN airlines, on AAward ticket.

I have my Alaska airlines boarding pass, SEA-LAX, but cannot check in online and get a boarding pass in seattle for LAN airlines.

When I land in LAX (Terminal 4), I know I can go airside to TBIT through the connector.

But I don't have a boarding pass yet for LAN. How or where do I get it airside in TBIT? Does LAN/OneWorld have desks airside in TBIT to help me check in and get a boarding pass for LAN?

<I'm not sure if this thread fits in some LAX thread or LAN etc, so posting here>
I'm not sure about the answer to your main question, but actually if you're flying Alaska you'll arrive in Terminal 6, not Terminal 4. Terminal 4 is AA.

There is an airside tunnel linking terminals 6 and 5 and 4, so you can go airside all the way, but that T6-T5-T4 airside tunnel is separate from the T4-TBIT airside connector.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Question to you!
Would it make sense, if an airline is flying from LAX, not having any check-in desk where people can check-in their luggage and get their bording passes?
Old May 18, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Question to you!
Would it make sense, if an airline is flying from LAX, not having any check-in desk where people can check-in their luggage and get their bording passes?
Yes, they will have checkin desks before securty (landside) obviously.

I will be connecting, so do not want to go landside, since I can just walk from Terminal 6 to TBIT all staying airside.

Which is why, I am specifically asking if there is airside checkin desks available for oneworld. I imagine its a common scenario for connecting oneworld folks, who connect from AA or Alaska, to catch a flight to LAN airlines.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I imagine its a common scenario for connecting oneworld folks, who connect from AA or Alaska, to catch a flight to LAN airlines.
I'm not sure how common it is. It's quite possible that those who fly AA (since it's part of oneworld) can get their LAN boarding passes ahead of time, or at T4 when they land (especially if they have lounge access at T4). And it's not clear how many people who transfer from Alaska to LAN try to stay airside, because I presume that requires being carry-on only (ie, if Alaska can't give you boarding passes, can they transfer your bags?), and relatively few people fly carry-on only.

Btw, do you have the record locator in LATAM format as well as in Alaska format (they may not be the same record locator code)? Based on one other thread I remember reading recently, it may be that if you get the record locator in LATAM format, you may be able to check in online at LATAM's website for your LATAM flight, even if Alaska can't do it. (In that thread, someone misled by confusing language on aa.com thought they had to check for their LATAM connection on the LATAM website, did so first, and then checked in on aa.com and also got boarding passes from AA for that same LATAM connection flight. That confusing language claimed that aa.com couldn't issue LATAM boarding passes, but it actually could, at least in that case.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.