2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint (photo illustrations), a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2018 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

LAX Terminal Maps

How to enter LAX/Parking Map

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 22 April 2019 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HIFlya
With the relocation by Delta, my plans on being able to take myself and my family to a PP lounge for breakfast (after taking a red-eye from Hawaii) during a 3+ hour layover in late August/early September have just been hampered. How are the TSA lines at around 8:00 AM? Our flight is scheduled to get in at 5:05 so I am guessing going to Terminal 5 or 6 would be pretty fast that early in the morning, just worried about getting back to Terminal 2 or 3 for the 8:50 connection.
I would suggest that any answer to this question won't be all that accurate for your travel dates because entirely new mixes of airlines will be at the various terminals at that time.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HIFlya
With the relocation by Delta, my plans on being able to take myself and my family to a PP lounge for breakfast (after taking a red-eye from Hawaii) during a 3+ hour layover in late August/early September have just been hampered. How are the TSA lines at around 8:00 AM? Our flight is scheduled to get in at 5:05 so I am guessing going to Terminal 5 or 6 would be pretty fast that early in the morning, just worried about getting back to Terminal 2 or 3 for the 8:50 connection.
We don't know what the lounge situation going to be 5 months from now so it's too early to speculate.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Deleted

Last edited by sleepro; Mar 29, 2017 at 12:48 am Reason: Deleted
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Actually, your flight from SAN will be arriving at the remote Eagle terminal. From there, there are airside shuttles to both T4 and T5. You can walk the rest of the way to TBIT via (the tunnel, if T5, and) the connector.
How long does the bus transfer usually take from the commuter terminal to T4 or T5? Does the shuttle bus usually park there waiting for the incoming flights or pxs have to wait for the bus on a set schedule?

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 29, 2017 at 4:17 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The buses have been really erratic lately. Sometimes I've arrived at the Eagle terminal to see a long line of people waiting for the bus. It doesn't feel as if they have a set schedule, even if they purport to.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Give yourself 30 minutes to get from Eagle terminal to T4.

During busy periods, buses to/from the Eagle terminal are routinely delayed because they have to yield to aircraft entering and departing the TBIT/T4 and T4/T5 alley.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
The buses have been really erratic lately. Sometimes I've arrived at the Eagle terminal to see a long line of people waiting for the bus. It doesn't feel as if they have a set schedule, even if they purport to.
Originally Posted by bzcat
Give yourself 30 minutes to get from Eagle terminal to T4.

During busy periods, buses to/from the Eagle terminal are routinely delayed because they have to yield to aircraft entering and departing the TBIT/T4 and T4/T5 alley.
Thanks for the advice and feedback.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:29 pm

LAX int'l transfer with a throw-away ticket [With luggage]

Hello,

here's the question: I need to go SFO-NRT-SFO and found that the following itinerary works best for me (many reasons, please don't ask, I know I can fly that route for less):

SFO-YVR (separate ticket #1 , $110 + baggage fees)
YVR-NRT then NRT-LAX-YVR (ticket #2 , $680, the LAX-YVR leg is a throw-away)
LAX-SFO (ticket #3 , $110 + baggage fees)

What happens at LAX on the way back when I pick up my bags for customs at the first port of entry? Bags will have tags to continue to YVR. How would I go about re-checking them (and myself) to SFO on a different airline? Do I have to exit and head over to the check-in counters or will there be a counter in the transfer area?

Thank you!
tomasz.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
One must collect bags when they enter the United States, so take your tags off when you collect them in LAX, exit security with your bags, and go to your airline to recheck them.

There are a few potential hiccups however... the carrier is not obligated to fly you on this specific route, so you may end up being routed via a different city. Either due to mechanical or irrops.

Also, if your bags don't make it on the flight for some reason, they will be routed to the final destination you're booked to [YVR].
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
If doing a throw away ticket, its best not to have checked luggage. There are risks involved as mentioned by beckoa. Also, hopefully your ticket 3 is not on the same carrier as ticket 2.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:29 am

Thank you, becoa & arollins. I was afraid I'd have to exit back to the terminal and re-check-in with the new airline. Ticket 3 is not on the same carrier as ticket 2
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by tomaszp
Thank you, becoa & arollins. I was afraid I'd have to exit back to the terminal and re-check-in with the new airline. Ticket 3 is not on the same carrier as ticket 2
You don't necessarily have to exit if the airline you are continuing on has a baggage check desk for continuing passengers. I have done this before in ATL.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As this is specific to LAX, we'll move this to the LA forum.

To the OP, it might be helpful if you provide the airline names of #2 and #3 to clarify your procedure.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
As this is specific to LAX, we'll move this to the LA forum.

To the OP, it might be helpful if you provide the airline names of #2 and #3 to clarify your procedure.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Airline #2 is JAL, Airline #3 is United.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:28 am

Is 3 hours enough time between Qantas and Southwest flights?

Hey everyone!

I'm hoping to get a little assistance with how much time I should allow between my LAX international arrival flight and domestic onward flight.

I will arrive at LAX Terminal B on Qantas QF11 from SYD at 0630. I have a Southwest flight (WN1850) booked to DIA which departs at 0925. Assuming the Qantas flight is on-time, this would allow just under 3 hours between flights.

Do you think this would be enough time? I have a US Passport so I assume that would save a little time at Customs/Immigration?

There is also a Southwest flight available at 1100 which I could switch to if needed which would allow 4.5 hours between flights. Does that seem excessive?

Thank you for any help!

Dave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.