Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

2017/8/9 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

2017/8/9 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 16, 19, 2:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
2017-19 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:
Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint (photo illustrations), a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2018 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

LAX Terminal Maps

How to enter LAX/Parking Map

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.
Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 06 March 2018 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Old May 19, 17, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
If you're on one ticket, why not just check in for both flights in SEA. This is what most people would do.
Old May 19, 17, 12:01 pm

HKG - LAX - YVR tfr time 2:20 minutes

Hi - I'm new to this forum so I hope I didn't press a wrong button and replied someone instead.

I have a trip that's making me nervous. I am a Canadian Citizen. My upcoming trip will happen in June 7 and I will arrive from HKG to LAX at 7:40am on Cathay business class. My connecting will be with UA to YVR at 10:07; on separate tickets. I will have 1 check in bag. I don't have statuses with airlines.

I know I'll have to go through Immigration, bag retrieval and security. As I am Canadian, I should be able to get through APC. As I took biz class, I am hopeful my bag will come out quick. Then I know I'll have to get myself to T7 from TBIT. My questions are:

- Will I make it?
- Would the quickest way to get from TBIT to T7 be fast walking?
- Is it right that I don't have the option to go through the tunnel anyway as my bags won't be checked through?
- Will I be only able to get my UA boarding pass at T7 when I check in my bags?

I really appreciate your wise advice. If there's chance I won't make it, would you suggest I pre-purchase a backup ticket from LAX to YVR at a later time instead of purchasing one in the event I don't make the transit? My UA 10:07 flight ticket is non-refundable.

Thank you so much
Old May 20, 17, 7:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
LAX TBIT doesn't have transfer desks. You can check in at the gate (probably only 90 minutes before departure), or possibly at the oneworld lounge if you have access.
Old May 21, 17, 6:20 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by nomii View Post
I will be connecting, so do not want to go landside, since I can just walk from Terminal 6 to TBIT all staying airside.
I am sorry, I read over the word "airside" in your first post!
Old May 21, 17, 7:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
LAX TBIT doesn't have transfer desks. You can check in at the gate (probably only 90 minutes before departure), or possibly at the oneworld lounge if you have access.
This reflects my experience.
Old May 22, 17, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
Will you make it? Maybe... 2 hours is pretty tight connection. You should have at least 2:30 to be safe. Your luggage should come out fast because you are flying business class but there is no guarantee. If there is someone from CX handing out transit pass as you exit the plane, take it so you can use the transit lane for immigration (pretty sure Canadians have to use the visitors' line otherwise).

Quickest way is walk. It should take you about 15 minutes. The shuttle will take just a long but you may have to wait a bit for it to show up. Also traffic will be bad at LAX around 8:30 to 9 AM. Walking eliminates the uncertainty about waiting for the bus and getting stuck in traffic around T5/T6 area.

Since you are on two separate ticket and won't have bags check thru, you need to take it with you. This does in fact preclude you from using the TBIT TSA station and walking to T7 behind security. But for what it is worth, it is probably faster to walk outside anyway because you are going in a straight line, not a zig zag through T4, T5, and T6 tunnels.

You can check in online with UA so boarding pass is not an issue. But you still have to get your passport scanned at the kiosk and check your luggage when you get to T7. In fact, I highly recommend you check in online with UA from your phone as soon as you land while your CX flight is still making its way to the gate. There is no phone reception in TBIT immigration or custom. Checking in with UA at least let them know you intend to board your flight so they can decide to wait for you. If you don't check in, they have no reason to hold your seat pass a certain point of the boarding process.

Last edited by bzcat; May 22, 17 at 1:18 pm
Old May 23, 17, 11:44 am

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Looking at connecting from AKL-LAX on NZ to an LAX-SFO flight.

Both are on UA ticket stock but separate flights. I'm assuming NZ will check my bag through to SFO, originating from MEL (MEL-AKL-LAX, then LAX-SFO).

The AKL-LAX flight is scheduled to land at 10:30 AM in early February (of course there are chances of schedule changes that far out).

So there are LAX-SFO flights departing at 12 PM, 1 PM and 2:37 PM. I'm guessing 12 PM is too risky. I guess the NZ flight will park at TBIT and the UA flights will be Terminals 7 or 8, so a good amount of time to change terminals.

Is the 1 PM flight enough of a margin, approximately 2.5 hours? Of course it will probably board at around 12:30 PM.
Old May 24, 17, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Looking at connecting from AKL-LAX on NZ to an LAX-SFO flight.

Both are on UA ticket stock but separate flights. I'm assuming NZ will check my bag through to SFO, originating from MEL (MEL-AKL-LAX, then LAX-SFO).

The AKL-LAX flight is scheduled to land at 10:30 AM in early February (of course there are chances of schedule changes that far out).

So there are LAX-SFO flights departing at 12 PM, 1 PM and 2:37 PM. I'm guessing 12 PM is too risky. I guess the NZ flight will park at TBIT and the UA flights will be Terminals 7 or 8, so a good amount of time to change terminals.

Is the 1 PM flight enough of a margin, approximately 2.5 hours? Of course it will probably board at around 12:30 PM.
Anyone?
Old May 24, 17, 11:16 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
I would not be so sure that with separate tickets/itineraries, even though ticketed on the same airline but flying a code-share flight, you'd be able to check your luggage through. However that's a question better asked in the UA and/or NZ forums.

I have not arrived at LAX on an international flight during that time of day, so I have no idea what the immigration and customs lines are like at that time.

You have to factor in the time that it will take your bags to get to the carousel. I've heard reports that at TBIT it may take as long as an hour.

Do you have Global Entry? I do and I always travel with carry on luggage only; I never check bags. Since I got GE, it has never taken me longer than 10 minutes to get from plane to curb after arriving on an international flight at LAX. A couple of weeks ago, we were on the Parking Spot shuttle with a couple who was returning from Costa Rica. It took them over two hours to clear immigration and customs (they had no GE and they had checked bags). That compared to my less than 10 minutes.

It takes 20-30 minutes to get from TBIT to T7. You also need to factor in the UA check in cut off time - 45 minutes at LAX - in case that you are unable to check your bags through.

All in all, If I were in your shoes, I would not be comfortable with anything under three hours for this connection and even that may be cutting it close.

Last edited by TWA884; May 24, 17 at 7:09 pm Reason: Proofreading
Old May 24, 17, 11:22 am

I do have GE but will have checked bags.

Hmm, I'd be looking at 2:37 PM as the next departure so more like 4 hours connection.
Old May 24, 17, 6:23 pm

I will roll the dice on the 1PM.

2:30 is enough time for TBIT to T7 transfer if everything goes right.

GE is not going to help you if you check luggage so you should mentally prepare for at least 1 hour at TBIT. That gives you roughly another 1 hour to get to T7 check in before luggage cutoff.

Your odds improve significantly if you can get NZ to check your bags through to SFO... that way you can re-check the luggage at TBIT before leaving the secured area. And with online check in with UA, you should have plenty of time to walk over to T7.
Old May 24, 17, 6:50 pm

UA told me NZ should check my luggage through.

Hopefully I can get my LAX-SFO boarding pass in MEL or AKL.
Old May 28, 17, 4:06 am

Hello everyone! I am hoping to get a little assistance as to which ticket to buy for a connection to a separate ticket:

Already booked flight: LAX-TPE BR15 departing 0050a on Aug. 12

Now I need to book a flight *SFO-LAX* on Aug. 11 to connect to the flight above. I have the following two options:

(a) a UA flight departing 0813p and arriving 0959p. This gives me ~2h50m for connection. In this case United can through-check my bag to TPE so I don't re-check my luggage at LAX.

(b) a VX flight departing 0735p and arriving 0907p. This gives me ~3h40m for connection. Note however through-checking my bag is *not* an option here.

Which option should I go for? (b) has longer connection time but I might need extra time to re-check my bag, and (a) the other way around. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old May 30, 17, 7:50 pm

Unless there is a big price difference, I will take the UA flight and have the bags check-thru.

You can also ask if UA can check you in to the BR flight at SFO. They may not do it but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Most of that extra hour you'll gain from taking the early VX flight will be lost waiting for your luggage to come out at LAX.

If you have BR boarding pass and bags check-thru, you can transfer from T7 to TBIT without leaving security. That's way better than flying VX and having to retrieve your checked luggage. Security line at TBIT at 10 PM is LONG... peak departure hours for multiple flights by CX, CI, BR, QF, and VA.
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
IME it depends on the carrier. I was unable to have the QF operated F lounge check me in for my CX F flight. I had to wander down to the gate to get my boarding pass. I made sure to check in for my flight ahead of time the next time as I didn't like this extra transit (and subsequent waiting in line). Yes I was connecting from AS.

<Mod hat on>

Please follow the redirect as we send this to the LA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Search this Thread