Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.
"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

Resources

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.

All terminals at LAX are connected airside (above ground hallways between terminals 1 and T4, and T6, T7 and T8, and tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American Eagle). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from T1 to T2, T3, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2018 - 2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2022/23 updates are in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 30, 2023, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by dc9northwest
Is the airside bus between T3/old T2 and TBIT available for pax connecting from DL to AV (or any airline that's not a DL partner)?
I don't recall having to show a boarding pass in order to ride the airside shuttle between TBIT and T2 (it was still T2 at the time, the new T3 had yet to open).
dc9northwest likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 4:33 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
What is special about "Transit Transfer" at LAX? I've seen signs for this, both in the old T2 international arrivals corridor, and at TBIT right after immigration, but before the escalator down to baggage claim. It seemed to point to a series of alarmed double doors. I think in T2 this was a holding lounge for the ANZ flight. Does it serve a different purpose than the transit facility in the west gates?
Old Aug 1, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
What is special about "Transit Transfer" at LAX? I've seen signs for this, both in the old T2 international arrivals corridor, and at TBIT right after immigration, but before the escalator down to baggage claim. It seemed to point to a series of alarmed double doors. I think in T2 this was a holding lounge for the ANZ flight. Does it serve a different purpose than the transit facility in the west gates?
My guess is that the signage is leftover from when NZ had the through flight in T2 or TN used TBIT-E. Now the only through flight is the TN one which has its own holding area in TBIT-W.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold
Lax connecting between AA and Delta terminals

Hi

in October I will be traveling to San Diego by way of AA JFK-LAX and then Delta from LAX to SAN. I am traveling the same in reverse order back home. My layover between the flights each way is 2.5 to 3 hours and will only have carryon.

I read somewhere but wasnt completely clear you can transfer between airside between Tom Bradley and the Terminal 3 and 4.

Is this true and can transit and leave TB terminal airside as well.

What suggestions do you have to beat connect between both flights.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Between T4 & TBIT (Tom Bradley Terminal) is a walkway that very simply connects the two terminals.
Currently, I believe TBIT to T2/T3 (Delta) still requires the use of a shuttle that picks up at a gate area on the far north end of TBIT.
However, you can connect between these terminals completely airside.
You may also exit the terminals at any time.
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
The walkway between TBIT and T3 might be complete by October. Re-check before your flight.

If you are in J or F on JFK-LAX best option in your layover is the flagship lounge.

BTW - The Amtrak Pacific Surfliner between San Diego and LA is very scenic but not time competitive connecting to LAX vs flight. Could be a backup option if your connection is late, I guess.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by jmoskal
Hi

in October I will be traveling to San Diego by way of AA JFK-LAX and then Delta from LAX to SAN. I am traveling the same in reverse order back home. My layover between the flights each way is 2.5 to 3 hours and will only have carryon.
As an AA flyer I know very well the connection between T5, T4 and TBIT. There is an underground tunnel between T5 and T4. There is an above-ground "connector" between T4 and TBIT. The tunnel and the T4-TBIT connector are all airside.

Getting from TBIT to one of the Delta terminals is beyond my personal experience.

I found this web page:

https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...es%2C%2024%2F7.

Airline Connector Shuttle Bus

For flight connections, passengers can hop on the airside shuttle bus that runs between Terminals 1, 3, and TBIT. Buses operate every 10 minutes, 24/7. Buses operate from:

Terminal 1: from the bus gate on level 3 departures, past the concourse entrance
Terminal 3: near gate 21A on level 2 (ETA: This might not be accurate. Check with Delta before you fly.)
TBIT: near gate 146
TBIT West Gates: at the south end of the concourse on the lower level

So: if your AA flight is in T5 or T4, you would make your way to TBIT through a combination of the airside underground tunnel (T4-T5) and the above ground connector (T4-TBIT).

From your Delta flight, according to the website above (not my personal experience) you would get an airside shuttle from TBIT to T3, then move to your Delta gate, and reverse going home. For a 2.5-3 hour layover, I recommend hoofing it to your departure gate without waiting around. Once you are at your departure gate, then consider any other activity such as a quick meal, a drink or lounge visit. I need about 15 mins just to get through the T4-TBIT connector. (I am a slow walker.)

FWIW, the last time I was at LAX a few weeks ago, I noticed construction between T3 and TBIT. I am guessing they are building an airside aboveground connector similar to the T4-TBIT connector.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Aug 12, 2023 at 1:21 pm Reason: T3 bus gate might not be accurate
Old Aug 12, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
That'll go away once the new airside connector opens in summer 2023, Santoro said. It'll mark the end of Delta's busing operation at LAX, which is well overdue.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...3-lax-sky-way/

OK, the T3-TBIT airside connector is opening "soon".
Old Aug 12, 2023, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Here's an overview shot from Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9435...!1e3?entry=ttu

On the right, you can see the connector between TBIT and T4, which has been in place for several years.

On the left, the connector between TBIT and T3 is under construction and appears only partially built (this seems to be a pretty old image).
When I was at LAX recently, it appeared to be much further along.

As others have pointed out, it can't be completed soon enough.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 11:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond; Alaska MVP Gold
Connecting between Terminal 6 and Terminal B International

Hi we are currently planning a trip and looking at booking a one-way ticket between SFO > LAX on Alaska Airlines that would land in Terminal 6 at 5:58pm on 11/21. We'd then need to get to Terminal B for an American Airlines flight to LHR that departs at 7:45pm. We are not checking any luggage. (For context, we are piecing together this itinerary to use our miles and there is no option to book this on the same itinerary.)

Questions as we are not familiar with LAX:
  • Barring any issues, should the 1hr 47min layover allow us enough time to get from T6 to TBIT? We will be seated in the front of the plane on our flight between SFO > LAX, so should be able to deplane relatively quickly.
  • Does anyone know if we can get our boarding pass for our international flight from LAX > LHR at the gate (or AA lounge) or would we be required to exit security and go to the AA ticket counter to do so? It's my understanding you cannot get a mobile boarding pass for international flights on AA but I could be incorrect.
  • We also have an option of booking a flight between LAX > LHR that departs at 8:50pm which would allow us 2hr 45m layover, which we are considering just to allow more time in case there are any issues with our first flight
Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by MFtraveler; Aug 23, 2023 at 11:39 pm
Old Aug 24, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MFtraveler
Hi we are currently planning a trip and looking at booking a one-way ticket between SFO > LAX on Alaska Airlines that would land in Terminal 6 at 5:58pm on 11/21. We'd then need to get to Terminal B for an American Airlines flight to LHR that departs at 7:45pm. We are not checking any luggage. (For context, we are piecing together this itinerary to use our miles and there is no option to book this on the same itinerary.)

Questions as we are not familiar with LAX:
  • Barring any issues, should the 1hr 47min layover allow us enough time to get from T6 to TBIT? We will be seated in the front of the plane on our flight between SFO > LAX, so should be able to deplane relatively quickly.
  • Does anyone know if we can get our boarding pass for our international flight from LAX > LHR at the gate (or AA lounge) or would we be required to exit security and go to the AA ticket counter to do so? It's my understanding you cannot get a mobile boarding pass for international flights on AA but I could be incorrect.
  • We also have an option of booking a flight between LAX > LHR that departs at 8:50pm which would allow us 2hr 45m layover, which we are considering just to allow more time in case there are any issues with our first flight
Thanks in advance for your help!
You have enough time to make this connection. T6 to TBIT is about a 15 min walk which is no problem if you have no checked luggage as you can stay inside the secured area the whole time. After you exit the plane at T6, look for sign to transfer to T5, which is in a tunnel in the lower level. Be careful not to exit the secured area by accident. Once you reach T5, there is another tunnel to to T4. Upon reaching T4, go upstairs and follow the sign to TBIT. The connector is behind gate 41. AA normally uses TBIT gates in the south wing which is closer to the T4 side.

You don't need to collect a physical boarding pass for the LAX-LHR flight. Is this an AA operated flight or BA operated flight? You can check in with AA for international flight and verify your passport online or via the AA app - I have done this so many times never a problem. If it is BA operated flight, you do the same but from BA website or app.

You can also check in in person at the AA lounge in T4 if you happen to be flying J or F.
MFtraveler likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond; Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat
You have enough time to make this connection. T6 to TBIT is about a 15 min walk which is no problem if you have no checked luggage as you can stay inside the secured area the whole time. After you exit the plane at T6, look for sign to transfer to T5, which is in a tunnel in the lower level. Be careful not to exit the secured area by accident. Once you reach T5, there is another tunnel to to T4. Upon reaching T4, go upstairs and follow the sign to TBIT. The connector is behind gate 41. AA normally uses TBIT gates in the south wing which is closer to the T4 side.

You don't need to collect a physical boarding pass for the LAX-LHR flight. Is this an AA operated flight or BA operated flight? You can check in with AA for international flight and verify your passport online or via the AA app - I have done this so many times never a problem. If it is BA operated flight, you do the same but from BA website or app.

You can also check in in person at the AA lounge in T4 if you happen to be flying J or F.
This is so incredibly helpful thank you very much! We had to switch to the 8:50pm flight, so will now have plenty of time to make our connection. Good to know we don't need to exit from the security area for boarding passes. I have One World Sapphire status, so if we have any issues, I can hopefully just pop into a BA lounge for help (if they have one).
Old Aug 25, 2023, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I have One World Sapphire status, so if we have any issues, I can hopefully just pop into a BA lounge for help (if they have one).
British Airways uses the oneworld lounge at TBIT. As a oneworld Sapphire, you probably also have access to the American Airlines Flagship Lounge in T4.
MFtraveler likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
This is so incredibly helpful thank you very much! We had to switch to the 8:50pm flight, so will now have plenty of time to make our connection. Good to know we don't need to exit from the security area for boarding passes. I have One World Sapphire status, so if we have any issues, I can hopefully just pop into a BA lounge for help (if they have one).
I have a feeling your flight is operated by BA (despite the AA flight number) which always departs from TBIT. AA136 and AA138 (operates with AA 77W) normally departs from gate 41 or 43. But anyways, since you are OW elite, either the AA Flagship (T4) or OW lounge (TBIT) can help you.
TWA884 and MFtraveler like this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: Some more than others
FYI, the secure area connector between T3 and TBIT is now open. The entire airport is now walkable in the secure area of the airport except between T1 and T2 which is still closed due to other construction and obviously the American Eagle terminal that requires a bus ride.

https://www.lawa.org/news-releases/2...ws-release-033

EDIT: Apparently the T1-T2 corridor has reopened since my last visit.
chrisl137 and MFtraveler like this.

Last edited by SCChris; Sep 3, 2023 at 3:18 pm Reason: Remove incorrect info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.