Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.
"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

Resources

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.

All terminals at LAX are connected airside (above ground hallways between terminals 1 and T4, and T6, T7 and T8, and tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American Eagle). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from T1 to T2, T3, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2018 - 2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2022/23 updates are in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Keep in mind you'll be clearing U.S. entry with the whole AF flight even if a good number are continuing on to PPT. If you don;t have GE but are eligible to use MPC, use that for faster US clearance (looks like it takes an average of 20+ minutes for non-US citizens to clear, with a maximum of just over an hour). Where you sit in the a/c and disembark will probably have some bearing on your wait. No Sky Priority on arrival other than priority baggage delivery (hopefully). Check-in cutoff for the next flight is 1 hr prior so 22:59 though it isn't too far of a walk to T3. If you can get out of TBIT by 2245-2250, you should be o.k.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:43 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by germanmc
I'll be travelling on APR18th on the following route: AF76: CDG - LAX (Landing at 21h45), with connection on flight DL1897 LAX - GUA (Terminal 3), taking off at 11h59.

Overall I have 2h14min to make the entire transfer process, including luggage. Do you believe is it doable ?s
One or two separate tickets/record locators?

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Check-in cutoff for the next flight is 1 hr prior so 22:59 though it isn't too far of a walk to T3.
The check-in cutoff matters only if germanmc is travelling on separate tickets/PNRs.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Keep in mind you'll be clearing U.S. entry with the whole AF flight even if a good number are continuing on to PPT. If you don;t have GE but are eligible to use MPC, use that for faster US clearance (looks like it takes an average of 20+ minutes for non-US citizens to clear, with a maximum of just over an hour). Where you sit in the a/c and disembark will probably have some bearing on your wait. No Sky Priority on arrival other than priority baggage delivery (hopefully). Check-in cutoff for the next flight is 1 hr prior so 22:59 though it isn't too far of a walk to T3. If you can get out of TBIT by 2245-2250, you should be o.k.
Thank you for your answer !!!
What do you mean by check-in cutoff ?
I didn't say it on my first post (my bad) but both flights are under the same reservation, sold my Delta.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
One or two separate tickets/record locators?

The check-in cutoff matters only if germanmc is travelling on separate tickets/PNRs.
Yes, sorry for the lack of clarification. Both legs were booked on the same record locators with Delta.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
One ticket gives you more time (as well as protection though you may have to wait a whole day for the next flight). Should be bag drop off after clearance, and then heading to the DL gate (walk, don't take the shuttle bus as it pretty much has to go full circle around the terminal complex).
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Yes, sorry for the lack of clarification. Both legs were booked on the same record locators with Delta.
This is very important. I think you will be fine. Since AF would have checked you in all the way, DL is already expecting you so less chance of them closing the boarding.

Just make sure AF tag your checked luggage properly to GUA when you check in at CDG. After you clear immigrations at LAX, you will pick up your luggage and exit custom. After passing thru custom, to the right of the exit is luggage re-check station. Just hand over your luggage and then exit to the curb. Turn left and start walking until you reach the next terminal (T3) and you can go thru security there. The walk should take about 5 minutes once you exit custom.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Hello everyone ! New on this site.

I'll be travelling on APR18th on the following route: AF76: CDG - LAX (Landing at 21h45), with connection on flight DL1897 LAX - GUA (Terminal 3), taking off at 11h59.

Overall I have 2h14min to make the entire transfer process, including luggage. Do you believe is it doable ?

I have skypriority, but I'll be travelling in Y

Thnks

Welcome to Flyertalk!

You might want to study/post in this thread (and look at the top "Wiki": Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Looks like you meet the minimum connect time threshold. Hopefully your flight is on time. Good luck!
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
I'll be traveling from London Heathrow to San Diego, and one of the flight options is United via LAX (United, and then SkyWest-United Express). The connection time is 2hr15min. It will be all one booking. I have an ESTA and will be checking bags. Is this enough time to make the connection? If I don't, what are my options? It seems there is only one flight per day with United to San Diego. Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Above
I'll be traveling from London Heathrow to San Diego, and one of the flight options is United via LAX (United, and then SkyWest-United Express). The connection time is 2hr15min. It will be all one booking. I have an ESTA and will be checking bags. Is this enough time to make the connection? If I don't, what are my options? It seems there is only one flight per day with United to San Diego. Thanks!
To the best of my knowledge, United's international to domestic minimum connection time at LAX is 1:10 for passengers arriving and going through immigration and customs at T6 and 1:30 for passengers arriving and processed at TBIT.
Above likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I would book this on one ticket. 2 hours should be enough as long as you are protected with inbound delays.
Above likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
2h15m connecting to last flight of the day isn't reassuring. SFO-SAN would be more frequent.
SPN Lifer and Above like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.