2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.
"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

Resources

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.

All terminals at LAX are connected airside (above ground hallways between terminals 1 and T4, and T6, T7 and T8, and tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American Eagle). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.
LAX also now has an interactive map that will give detailed instructions between any two name-able points in the terminals (e.g. gates, restaurants, lounges, etc): Interactive Map

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from T1 to T2, T3, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2018 - 2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2022/23 updates are in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2023, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Since no one has shared their experiences, let me share my thoughts.

LAX is my home airport; I have never connected or repositioned here.

This appears to be a trip on separate tickets or PNRs. I assume that for a family trip to Europe, you will be checking bags. Keep in mind that at LAX, it often takes as long as half an hour for checked bags to show up on the luggage carousels.

Once you have your bags, it will take you 5-10 minutes to get from T3 (DL) or 15-20 minutes to get from T1 (WN) to the check-in counters at TBIT. While you did not identify the airline that you are flying to Europe, just about every airline has a 60 minutes cutoff for checking bags for international flights.

You didn't write whether you and your family have TSA PreCheck. Figure on 5-15 to clear security with PreCheck and up to 20-30 minutes without; however, that can be done in the time between checking your bags for the international flight and the start of boarding time, generally 30-40 minutes prior to departure time.

Should your flight depart from the West Gates concourse (200's) add 15-20 minutes to get there. That cuts your self-transfer time to approximately a hour or less. You will have no margin for error in case that your flight from Sacramento is delayed. I would not feel comfortable with only three hours for a self-transfer to an international flight at LAX.
Thanks for the detailed breakdown into your thought process, it really helps with planning. I'm not sure about checked bags so it looks like that will be a crucial factor.

Regarding the travel time from T1 or T3, I'm assuming that's the walk outside of the terminals?

Our family does have Precheck so I feel a bit better but even then just to be safe I might end up doing the first flight out of SMF.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by buildingcredit
Regarding the travel time from T1 or T3, I'm assuming that's the walk outside of the terminals?
Yes, those are walking times. Factoring in the waiting time, I am not sure if taking the shuttle will save you much time and it may even take a few minutes longer. You can get an idea by checking the LAX Live Shuttle Tracker website.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 7:48 am

Due to several schedule changes, our transfertime at LAX has become a bit tight.. At the end of January we have a 1hr and 20m layover.
We are arriving in TBIT and departing from T3. We both have GE, Tsa Pre and Sky priority. All on 1 ticket. (KLM/Delta). What do you guys think? There is only1 flight later that day but this one leaves 5 hours later..
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:15 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dutchy89
Due to several schedule changes, our transfertime at LAX has become a bit tight.. At the end of January we have a 1hr and 20m layover.
We are arriving in TBIT and departing from T3. We both have GE, Tsa Pre and Sky priority. All on 1 ticket. (KLM/Delta). What do you guys think? There is only1 flight later that day but this one leaves 5 hours later..
With GE and without checked bags it has never taken me more than 15 minutes to get from plane to curb at TBIT and often less than that. That has always been when arriving at a gate on the main concourse (100s gates). I know that Air France now operates from the West Gates concourse (200s gates); I don't know if KLM also moved there. That can add as many as 15 minutes to get to the Federal Inspection Facility and the curb.

At the most, T3 is a five minutes walk from TBIT.

With checked bags, it can easily take 30 minutes or even longer for the bags to show up on the luggage carousels. I have no idea how long the wait is to drop off the tagged bags at the recheck counter. Assuming that your inbound is on time, it is still probably doable.

Lastly, the last few days, KLM's flight from AMS has arrived late at LAX. I am not familiar with Delta's policy about protecting passengers who missed their connection due to flight delays. Will they guarantee you a seat on the next flight or just place you on the standby list?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:44 am

The last few days, Amsterdam Airport had a lot of trouble with the weather. Last week they had fog and wind.

Yesterday, the flight had a delay of almost 3 hours ( I guess a malfunction of the plane or something like that..)
Rechecking my bags have never take me longer than 1 minute and I have been to a lot of airports in the U.S.

Lets hope for the best. I will post my experience here when we are at our destination.
TWA884 and ACCDraw like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
With GE and without checked bags it has never taken me more than 15 minutes to get from plane to curb at TBIT and often less than that. That has always been when arriving at a gate on the main concourse (100s gates). I know that Air France now operates from the West Gates concourse (200s gates); I don't know if KLM also moved there. That can add as many as 15 minutes to get to the Federal Inspection Facility and the curb.

At the most, T3 is a five minutes walk from TBIT.

With checked bags, it can easily take 30 minutes or even longer for the bags to show up on the luggage carousels. I have no idea how long the wait is to drop off the tagged bags at the recheck counter. Assuming that your inbound is on time, it is still probably doable.

Lastly, the last few days, KLM's flight from AMS has arrived late at LAX. I am not familiar with Delta's policy about protecting passengers who missed their connection due to flight delays. Will they guarantee you a seat on the next flight or just place you on the standby list?
I've never waited more than a minute or so for bag recheck. The choke point is getting the bags in the first place. The "I'm Better Than You" tags that frequent my bags generally (but not always) serve as decoration only at LAX.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've never waited more than a minute or so for bag recheck. The choke point is getting the bags in the first place. The "I'm Better Than You" tags that frequent my bags generally (but not always) serve as decoration only at LAX.
I've got near zero experience with checking bags. Except when going on ski trips, I've been traveling with only carry on bags for over 30 years. The only isolated exceptions have been when being forced to gate check a roll-a-board while flying standby. Fortunately, even in those situations, I have never had to recheck a bag. I haven't arrived at TBIT with checked bags since the mid 80s.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I've got near zero experience with checking bags. Except when going on ski trips, I've been traveling with only carry on bags for over 30 years. The only isolated exceptions have been when being forced to gate check a roll-a-board while flying standby. Fortunately, even in those situations, I have never had to recheck a bag. I haven't arrived at TBIT with checked bags since the mid 80s.
Unfortunately, since I became a vast international real estate magnate, I've been schlepping crap to La Argentina (often two checked pieces, and one fits inside of the other for the return) so that is my life.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 5:23 am

Connection in LAX in less then 03:00 hours?

May I ask the frequent flyers in this group who are familiar with LAX airport for their judgement :

We are flying VIE - LHR - LAX - HNL (Vienna – London Heathrow – Los Angeles – Honolulu) on a Saturday in April. So far, the connection time including entry into the US with an ESTA in LAX was about 3:30 hrs. Due to flight schedule changes, the time has been reduced to 02:45 hrs.

Is this realistic? We are flying British Airways Business Class with checked-in luggage all tickets are booked in one PNR. We are Austrian citizens and therefore cannot apply for Global Entry. We are both traveling to the US with a new ESTA. Previous entries were with a different ESTA and with an older passport. Arrival time is around 03:00 p.m. LAX time.

Unfortunately, we cannot simply take an earlier flight but would have to travel to London the night before and plan an overnight stay in an airport hotel.

Thanks a lot for your help !
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by NiHo
May I ask the frequent flyers in this group who are familiar with LAX airport for their judgement :

We are flying VIE - LHR - LAX - HNL (Vienna – London Heathrow – Los Angeles – Honolulu) on a Saturday in April. So far, the connection time including entry into the US with an ESTA in LAX was about 3:30 hrs. Due to flight schedule changes, the time has been reduced to 02:45 hrs.

Is this realistic? We are flying British Airways Business Class with checked-in luggage all tickets are booked in one PNR. We are Austrian citizens and therefore cannot apply for Global Entry. We are both traveling to the US with a new ESTA. Previous entries were with a different ESTA and with an older passport. Arrival time is around 03:00 p.m. LAX time.

Unfortunately, we cannot simply take an earlier flight but would have to travel to London the night before and plan an overnight stay in an airport hotel.

Thanks a lot for your help !
Welcome to FlyerTalk NiHo!

Assuming that your flight to HNL is on American and your bags are checked through, you should be fine. Should your flight from LHR arrive late, you will be met at the exit from the plane by an agent who will provide you with a bright orange oneworld "Express Connection" card or ticket jacket. That will give you priority clearing immigration and customs inspections, dropping your bags off at the transfer desks at the exit from the Federal Inspection Services Facility and going through the TSA security checkpoint. AA flights to HNL generally depart from T5, approximately a 6-10 minutes walk from TBIT. Sometimes those depart from T4 (3-5 minutes walk) or TBIT.

SPN Lifer, bzcat and NiHo like this.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 2, 2024 at 10:18 am
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:59 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk NiHo!
Assuming that your flight to HNL is on American and your bags are checked through, you should be fine. Should your flight from LHR arrive late, you will be met at the exit from the plane by an agent who will provide you with a bright orange oneworld "Express Connection" card or ticket jacket. That will give you priority clearing immigration and customs inspections, dropping your bags off at the transfer desks at the exit from the Federal Inspection Services Facility and going through the TSA security checkpoint. AA flights to HNL generally depart from T5, approximately a 6-10 minutes walk from TBIT. Sometimes those depart from T4 (3-5 minutes walk) or TBIT.
Thanks so much for your detailed explanation and the pictures. Keeping fingers crossed everything will be on time and I will not have to look for the cards but very happy to know that there are options to speed up the process if the flight from LHR is running late.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 12:14 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

I have no idea how long the wait is to drop off the tagged bags at the recheck counter.
My wife and I will be arriving on a Delta-marketed, KLM-operated flight into LAX, and have an onward connectiong on DL to HNL. From you post, it appears that there is a place to drop our bags after exiting customs? Just wanting to confirm that we can drop our bags at TBIT and then take a walk to Terminal 3 with only our carryon luggage.

Thanks!

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 3, 2024 at 12:19 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Jan 3, 2024, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
From you post, it appears that there is a place to drop our bags after exiting customs? Just wanting to confirm that we can drop our bags at TBIT and then take a walk to Terminal 3 with only our carryon luggage.
Correct. When you exit the customs hall, follow the Connections/Transfers (I don't remember the exact verbiage) and go to the right (turning left will lead you to the street). The bags drop off desks are there. Then you can either use the connections/transfers TSA security checkpoint that is located there - it's not always open and it does not have PreCheck lanes - and use the new airside T3-TBIT connector to go to T3 or exit the terminal and walk to T3 outside the secured airside area.

Somewhere on FlyerTalk there are photos showing the path, I'll post a link if and when I find those.
747FC likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dutchy89

Well, we made it.
Our KLM flight had landed 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Global entry took us just 10 seconds. Had to wait 10 minutes for our checked bags. Overal it took us 45 minutes from disembarking to arriving at gate 31 in Terminal 3 for our Delta connecting flight
SCChris, TWA884, bzcat and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:26 am

Hello everyone ! New on this site.

I'll be travelling on APR18th on the following route: AF76: CDG - LAX (Landing at 21h45), with connection on flight DL1897 LAX - GUA (Terminal 3), taking off at 11h59.

Overall I have 2h14min to make the entire transfer process, including luggage. Do you believe is it doable ?

I have skypriority, but I'll be travelling in Y

Thnks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.