Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meeting/Picking Up Passengers Arriving at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Meeting/Picking Up Passengers Arriving at LAX

A couple of questions, we are flying in a day ahead of,and picking up some family at LAX on a Thus. morning. Since they will be checking a bag they need to get (sigh) I am guessing a 9:30 landing, should put them in baggage claim by about 10? (southwest flight)
We plan on waiting for a call from them to pick up, what is the simplest way to go get them? How long does it take to get in and get out of there at about that time? And where is the best place, simply at arrivals,hopefully we can meet them outside and not have to go in(?)
Another side question....say we decide to have them call Uber instead, would 10 am be considered surge pricing time?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surges can happen at anytime, but are unlikely at that time.

Southwest arrivals are not too bad and you do not have to do the "full circle" after picking up. I would just wait in the cell phone lot, or at Carl's Jr. on Century (my personal cell phone lot) and pick them up when they call.

If headed south, your way out will look like this. If out to Century, just take that exit to west.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Use the cell phone waiting lot on 96th street and thank me later.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

I will thank you right now! ;-) ok one more relevant question..... driving from LAX down to Disneyland..... if you could choose to drive at 6 p.m. - or at 10-10:30 a.m. which would you choose? (midweek) We are trying to decide whether to head down there in the evening, or wait till the next morning after we pick up our crew. (either way is about equal for us $wise ,we are flying in a day earlier than expected originally) according to maps the evening drive could take 2 hours.....
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by hsmama
I will thank you right now! ;-) ok one more relevant question..... driving from LAX down to Disneyland..... if you could choose to drive at 6 p.m. - or at 10-10:30 a.m. which would you choose? (midweek) We are trying to decide whether to head down there in the evening, or wait till the next morning after we pick up our crew. (either way is about equal for us $wise ,we are flying in a day earlier than expected originally) according to maps the evening drive could take 2 hours.....
The morning drive is almost certain to be much shorter. Google Maps estimates the drive as 35 to 50 minutes with a 10:30 departure, versus 55 minutes to an hour and forty minutes with a 6:00 PM departure. It can be a lot worse, too.

Last edited by ajGoes; Dec 6, 2016 at 9:10 am Reason: Adjust hyperlink
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:08 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ajGoes
The morning drive is almost certain to be much shorter.
+1

It also depends on the day of the week. Traffic in the greater Los Angeles area is worst on Thursday evenings when the drive from LAX to the Disneyland area can easily take two hours or longer.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have to pick them up at LAX the next morning DO NOT go to OC that night then come back ot pickup at LAX the next morning.

Get a hotel at LAX. Then everyone head to OC in the morning after you pick them up.

You will thank us for avoiding two hellish drives.

(I live by Disneyland and drive to LAX a LOT.)
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
If you have to pick them up at LAX the next morning DO NOT go to OC that night then come back ot pickup at LAX the next morning.

Get a hotel at LAX. Then everyone head to OC in the morning after you pick them up.

You will thank us for avoiding two hellish drives.

(I live by Disneyland and drive to LAX a LOT.)
+1. Moreover, if you're coming from a distant time zone, you shouldn't drive until you've had at least one night's decent sleep. The alternative could be fatal.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

gotcha. Thanks for all the help! We will just wait and get our crew in the morning.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:06 pm

If you stay at an LAX hotel, you might be able to avoid having to pick them up the next morning, and instead have them take the hotel's shuttle to the hotel and meet you there.

You could do the same when you arrive, save a night's cost for parking and rental car, and pick up the rental car in the morning. There are some agencies that have locations in some of the airport hotels in addition to the main airport locations; these can often be cheaper since you don't pay all the extra airport fees. You can usually arrange to return the car to the airport rather than the hotel location.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
If you stay at an LAX hotel, you might be able to avoid having to pick them up the next morning, and instead have them take the hotel's shuttle to the hotel and meet you there.

You could do the same when you arrive, save a night's cost for parking and rental car, and pick up the rental car in the morning. There are some agencies that have locations in some of the airport hotels in addition to the main airport locations; these can often be cheaper since you don't pay all the extra airport fees. You can usually arrange to return the car to the airport rather than the hotel location.
@:-)
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:57 pm

Hoping it's allowable to ask in this thread where to meet a friend who's driving to meet us, at T1 at 8.30 a.m. On the airport map, the Cell Phone Waiting Lot looks small: should we not count on it being available? If the friend is early, I think I'd advise her to park in the garage and meet us in the terminal. I think there's a good chance she'd be late: what advice would there be, with current construction, on meeting us at the curb? I know that at many airports one advises meeting arriving pax on the departures level, but maybe not at this time of day? Whichever level, is there a certain median where we should meet, and signage the driver should follow to get there?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by rove312
Hoping it's allowable to ask in this thread where to meet a friend who's driving to meet us, at T1 at 8.30 a.m. On the airport map, the Cell Phone Waiting Lot looks small: should we not count on it being available? If the friend is early, I think I'd advise her to park in the garage and meet us in the terminal. I think there's a good chance she'd be late: what advice would there be, with current construction, on meeting us at the curb? I know that at many airports one advises meeting arriving pax on the departures level, but maybe not at this time of day? Whichever level, is there a certain median where we should meet, and signage the driver should follow to get there?
0830, meet at Departure level, just past T1 towards T2, east of the "B" pickup spot. If early cellphone lot will have plenty of space.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
Since your question has nothing to do with the recent change in the hotel and parking shuttle operations, I've moved your question into a more appropriate thread.

That time of day, there a many more departing than arriving passengers and the lower "arrivals" level is considerably less congested. I'd instruct someone who is arriving or picking me up to meet me on the lower level. <outdated information>.

All that being said, I've never seen more that a couple of cars in the cell phone waiting lot.

TWA884

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 30, 2020 at 2:10 pm
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:33 pm

Meeting at LAX

We are flying from Nashville to LA and arriving at 8:50 am, we are meeting family who are arriving from Sydney to LA at 6:30 am. They are first time travellers to US and we are meeting a driver to travel together into LA. Can anyone suggest an area where they can wait for us?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.