Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The New York Times: A LAX airport parking lot has become a village of airline workers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New York Times: A LAX airport parking lot has become a village of airline workers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
NYT Op-Doc: Living at LAX

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/op...l-right-region
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:53 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
This was first reported seven years ago.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
That parking space used to be long term parking lot and had smaller employee parking lot at west end. When I used to live at Hermosa Beach I made used out of that parking lot. The lot is further away from current long term parking lot, and I have experienced waiting at a terminal close to an hour for a shuttle bus to the parking lot although shutter bus was supposed to run every 10 minutes. The best was parking rate, when I lived at Hermosa Beach parking rate at that parking lot was less than $10/day, I think it was $8/day. That was bargain for L.A. If you are wondering I lived at Hermosa Beach from 1999 to 2011, I am not talking about LAX parking rate back in ‘70s.

That long term parking lot was not perfect, but I sure made use out of it and could not complain of the rate. When LAX airport authority closed down that long term parking lot and consolidated with current long term parking lot, I was worried that now LAX will have shortage of parking space in long term lot. But least I did not experience parking lot being full.

Even back then when that lot was operating as a long term parking lot, I remember there were few motor homes. I thought few local residents taking advantage of low parking rate. But on one trip coming home there was a pilot in uniform on the shuttle bus. Got off the shuttle bus at the parking lot and walking toward my car. Saw the pilot on the shuttle bus walking over to one of motor home and entered. That is when I learned it is airline employees using as a home.

I can see that the airport authority wants to make better use out of the space.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold

File this under things I just never thought about, but am now equal parts surprised and indifferent. Really interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.