Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX to Long Beach cruise port: how long by taxi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hardly any

I am wondering how long it would take by taxi to get from LAX to the cruise port at Long Beach. Service to LAX from New York JFK is plentiful.

I realize that there is an airport at LGB, but the service from New York to that airport is sparse and the flight arrival times might require an overnight hotel stay the night before the cruise.

I don't know the lay of the land in the Los Angeles area at all. I'm curious about where the two airports (LAX & LGB) are located in relation to their respective cities and to each other.

Is there a tourist map of the area I could consult?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
It depends what day and time you do this. Right now it is 6pm PT and the tail end of rush hour.

Google maps is showing LAX to the Port of Long Beach as about an hour. With no traffic, it would be 20-30 minutes.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks, FlyinHawaiian, for the info and the link. I appreciate your sharing.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The driving distance between the Long Beach Airport and the Long Beach Cruise Terminal is approximately 11 miles.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a very bad day it can be half an hour just to get out of LAX
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You definitely want to take first flights out of JFK. If you don't take cruise line arranged air, you're on your own and will find yourself scrambling to get to the next port.

The worst that can happen with on time early flights is that you'll get there early, and you'll have more time at the embarkation gor may buf fay.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:14 pm

Depends on what time you will be arriving to LAX.

I take the 405 corridor each day for work and during rush hour it takes 2x as long to go from LAX to LBG (and vice versa). However, if you are taking a taxi or Uber, you will atleast be able to use the carpool lane which will speeds things up for you.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all!

My thanks to all of you for the info you've provided. My plans won't be final for another 2 weeks.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:02 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by JohnWM
I
I realize that there is an airport at LGB, but the service from New York to that airport is sparse and the flight arrival times might require an overnight hotel stay the night before the cruise.
I would highly recommend you arrive the night before. Anything could cause a delay. Your flight could get delayed, they could take an hour to start unloading the luggage onto the carousel (not uncommon at LAX), there could be a ton of traffic getting out of the airport (very common).

If you arrive the same day, try to have at least 4 hours from the time you land to the time the cruise departs. If all goes smoothly, you could be at the cruise terminal 2 hours after landing, but you want to leave some room for error.

But to answer your question, LAX to LB cruise terminal by taxi would be about half an hour with no traffic, but up to an hour, or maybe a bit more, otherwise.

Last edited by cbn42; Aug 29, 2016 at 12:12 am
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I lived in Long Beach not far from the port for 7 years. The shortest it took me in a car between the two was 30 mins. The longest was 90 minutes.

I would arrive the night before. Long Beach has several nice hotels in the downtown area which is about 1 mile from the port
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Statman
Depends on what time you will be arriving to LAX.

I take the 405 corridor each day for work and during rush hour it takes 2x as long to go from LAX to LBG (and vice versa). However, if you are taking a taxi or Uber, you will atleast be able to use the carpool lane which will speeds things up for you.
The 405 at anything vaguely like commute times always strikes me as a terrible idea, even the tiny bit of it to get from Rosecrans to the 105. After someone recommended Waze to me very emphatically I tried it out to get from Manhattan Beach to Carson at 5:30 or 6 pm. For some reason it though the 405 at a dead standstill seemed like a good route. I deleted it as soon as I finished the trip- I had much better surface street routes that are faster and have options if there's a slow spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.