Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX to Dodger Stadium on a Friday afternoon

Old May 3, 16, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Hi folks --

I'll be arriving into LAX at about 3:45 p.m. on a Friday night, renting a car, and then heading out to Dodger Stadium for a game that starts at 7:10 p.m. (I'm OK arriving somewhat after first pitch, but I'd rather not miss too much of the game.

That gives me roughly three hours for baggage claim, rental car pick up, and dealing with Friday evening traffic and stadium parking. Is that do-able? Am I out of my mind? We'll be able to use HOV lanes, if that helps.

Thanks!
Old May 3, 16, 11:14 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Google Maps estimates driving time from the Hertz lot to Dodger Stadium as one to two hours if you leave any time between 4:30 and 5:00 PM. (Google doesn't have an HOV-lane option, which seems like something they should add.) The other major rental agencies are nearby. It takes at least half an hour to get through baggage claim and the shuttle, maybe more if you rent from a discount agency and the shuttle hits traffic.

So I'd say it's possible but unlikely that you'll arrive in time for the first pitch, but you probably won't miss more than the first inning or so.
Old May 3, 16, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Friday night at LAX in the summer can be a clusterflog. It can sometimes take the shuttle 30 min to get out of the airport.

Once you get to your rental agency, it can take 30-45 min to get a car unless you have status with the rental agency.

And then you're in the middle of rush hour.

Good luck. I wouldn't try it, just too stressful.
Old May 3, 16, 11:36 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by DCAview View Post
Hi folks --

I'll be arriving into LAX at about 3:45 p.m. on a Friday night, renting a car, and then heading out to Dodger Stadium for a game that starts at 7:10 p.m. (I'm OK arriving somewhat after first pitch, but I'd rather not miss too much of the game.

That gives me roughly three hours for baggage claim, rental car pick up, and dealing with Friday evening traffic and stadium parking. Is that do-able? Am I out of my mind? We'll be able to use HOV lanes, if that helps.

Thanks!
I've never received my checked luggage at LAX in less than half an hour after my flight blocked in. Waits for the rental companies shuttles vary depending on the car rental company. The ride to the car rental lots will take another 10-30 minutes (depending on traffic and which terminal you arrive at). It's anyone's guess as to how long it may take to pick up the car (do you have something like Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred or National Emerald Club?).

There are carpool lanes on the 105 and the 110. The 110 carpool lanes end near USC. From that point on, you'll be passing through some of the worst traffic congestion in the Los Angeles area; it may actually be faster to take surface streets to bypass the 110 between the 10 and the 101 (Waze is really good at suggesting alternate routes).

Unless there is an accident en-route, the drive itself should take two hours at the most and probably less.

Getting into Dodger Stadium's parking lots should not be a huge hassle, especially if you arrive a bit late after most of the spectators are already in their seats.
Old May 3, 16, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you send one person straight to car rental and have the other wait for luggage?

What terminal are you coming in to?
Old May 3, 16, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
Can you send one person straight to car rental and have the other wait for luggage?

What terminal are you coming in to?
Thanks for the responses. We're coming into Terminal 3 on Virgin America, so if I'm remembering LAX's set up, the car rental bus will have to battle past TBIT, American, Delta, and United before heading to the facility.

As for car rental memberships, we've got Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, and Budget Fastbreak. (Off-topic: I haven't yet decided which reservation to use yet; I prefer Hertz, but only Avis and Budget will let me return to Union Station, which I'd prefer. Hertz's nearest drop-off location is the downtown Doubletree.)

I like the divide-and-conquer strategy for baggage claim and car-rental, but we'll also be travelling with a passel of young kids, and I think we'll need both adults to wrangle luggage plus children.
Old May 3, 16, 1:08 pm

I remember very vividly 15 years ago when I went to visit my friend who lived in Redondo Beach. We left his house on a Friday afternoon FOUR HOURS before first pitch, and finally got in our seats in the top of the 2nd inning.
Old May 3, 16, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
So I'd say it's possible but unlikely that you'll arrive in time for the first pitch, but you probably won't miss more than the first inning or so.
Wait, I thought the doyers fans arrive in the 3rd inning and leave by the 7th inning?

Seriously, it is tight. Also, keep in mind that 110 HOV lane is really a Fastrak lane, so you need a transponder. Do rental cars include them now?
Old May 3, 16, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
And then there's the traffic jam leaving Dodger stadium at the end.

Those are going to be some very tired kids at 1 am eastern time when the game ends.
Old May 4, 16, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
And then there's the traffic jam leaving Dodger stadium at the end.

Those are going to be some very tired kids at 1 am eastern time when the game ends.
Good point. I think this might be too much.
Old May 4, 16, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
You might make it in 3.5 hours but it will be kind of a miracle.

It takes at least 15 minutes for your flight to taxi to the gate at LAX so if your arrival time is 3:45 pm, you probably won't deplane until at least 4 pm, possibly much later. And you mention you will have luggage so that's another 20~25 minutes before you can leave T3. So it is almost 4:30 pm by the time you reach the rental car shuttle waiting area.

Friday afternoon is going to be hellish at LAX. It will take about 30 minutes to navigate the loop and back to the rental car lot. Since you are Hertz Gold, you can probably just jump in any car and go. Otherwise, there is another long line on Friday afternoon.

If you managed to leave the rental car lot before 5 pm, you are in good shape. From there, you have two unpalatable choices to reach Dodger Stadium. If you take I-405 to I-10, expect lots of traffic. If you take I-105 to I-110, expect lots of traffic. Either way will take about 2 hours to reach Downtown on Friday 5 pm - and another ~30 minutes to get pass Downtown and get in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium.

If your rental car has Fastrak transponder, I would strongly recommend I-105 to I-110 so you can use the HOV and toll lane all the way. It will save you about 40 minutes.

If your rental car has no Fastrak transponder, I think you better have some entertainment for the kids en route. Make them go potty before leaving LAX!

Last edited by bzcat; May 4, 16 at 6:20 pm
Old May 4, 16, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post

There are carpool lanes on the 105 and the 110. The 110 carpool lanes end near USC. From that point on, you'll be passing through some of the worst traffic congestion in the Los Angeles area; it may actually be faster to take surface streets to bypass the 110 between the 10 and the 101 (Waze is really good at suggesting alternate routes).
110 doesn't have carpool (HOV) lane. It has HOT lane.

Unless the rental car has Fastrak, he will not be able to use the HOT lane.

I agree that taking surface streets part of the way maybe faster but probably not the entire way.
Old May 4, 16, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
110 doesn't have carpool (HOV) lane. It has HOT lane.
I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
I agree that taking surface streets part of the way maybe faster but probably not the entire way.
That's exactly what I recommended:
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
...it may actually be faster to take surface streets to bypass the 110 between the 10 and the 101...
Old May 5, 16, 8:12 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Whatever, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Do you have to rent a car? Metro would definitely get you to the game on time, much faster than driving. I would take the Green to the Silver or Blue and then just walk from Union Station.
Old May 5, 16, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
Do you have to rent a car? Metro would definitely get you to the game on time, much faster than driving. I would take the Green to the Silver or Blue and then just walk from Union Station.
Maybe a good idea in other circumstances, but the OP's party includes 2 adults, several children and their luggage.

Search this Thread