Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to Dodger Stadium on a Friday afternoon

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Flyaway bus is even better speedwise- $9/person and it takes you and your luggage straight to Union Station. Once they leave the airport the drivers will take the fastest route because they don't have to make any stops in between and they tell each other about current traffic conditions. Buses are nominally every 20 minutes during peak times. There are a couple of rental places near Union Station if you need a car for after. You can buy tickets for the Flyaway online or at Union Station after you arrive (you show the ticket to get your luggage back).

If you're going to drive, 105 to the 110 is going to be faster - I did that drive for a couple years. 405 to the 10 sounds really wrong and violates my "never get on the 405 for any reason" rule. There are carpool lanes on the 105, but when you get to the 110 you need a transponder and that will only get you as far as Adams (at USC) and then you're in DTLA traffic from there. Last I checked, LAX rental agencies didn't have transponder options. (edit: a transponder will probably save you 20 minutes on average from the 105 to Adams, partly because of the carpool lane interchange, which is a huge time saver, and partly due to stop-and-go traffic on the 110)

On average it's faster to get off at Adams and take Hill north through DTLA. I haven't tried to get into Dodger stadium parking that way though (or ever)-- once you're in Chinatown it might be easiest to get back onto the 110 at Alpine and then take the Dodger stadium exit, or just find parking away from the stadium and walk. Union Station has a huge underground garage if you don't mind the walk.
Once in Downtown on the 110 North, the easiest and fastest way to get into Dodger Stadium is take the 3rd or 4th Street exit and get to Sunset Blvd (west). Take that to Vin Scully Ave (former Elysian Park Ave) and into the stadium.

The problem with the Flyaway bus is since there is no carpool lane on the 10 freeway, you speed along with all the other traffic. I live in West Los Angeles and it is a minimum of 30 minutes, sometimes as much as an hour to get from the 405 to the 110 on the 10 (on a Friday afternoon). A ride that should take less than 15 minutes with no traffic.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by firecracker725
and finally got in our seats in the top of the 2nd inning.
So, in Angelino speak, you got to the game early.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
There is a tremendous amount of highrise construction in Downtown Los Angeles at this time with many lanes blocked. I would never suggest going straight through Downtown L.A. on surface streets for the next couple of years...on a Friday afternoon.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CalItalian
Once in Downtown on the 110 North, the easiest and fastest way to get into Dodger Stadium is take the 3rd or 4th Street exit and get to Sunset Blvd (west). Take that to Vin Scully Ave (former Elysian Park Ave) and into the stadium.

The problem with the Flyaway bus is since there is no carpool lane on the 10 freeway, you speed along with all the other traffic. I live in West Los Angeles and it is a minimum of 30 minutes, sometimes as much as an hour to get from the 405 to the 110 on the 10 (on a Friday afternoon). A ride that should take less than 15 minutes with no traffic.
FlyAway bus doesn't use I-10 to get to Downtown.
Old May 16, 2016, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bzcat
FlyAway bus doesn't use I-10 to get to Downtown.
+1

The Union Station FlyAway goes on the I-105 (Century) and I-110 (Harbor) freeways.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I picked up the husband at LAX at 6 p.m. on Thursday last week and was paying close attention to the traffic while thinking about this thread. Unfortunately the eastbound 105 carpool lane moved slower than regular traffic all the way to the 710.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I picked up the husband at LAX at 6 p.m. on Thursday last week and was paying close attention to the traffic while thinking about this thread. Unfortunately the eastbound 105 carpool lane moved slower than regular traffic all the way to the 710.
The eastbound carpool lane always seems to come to a complete stop right around the lefthand ramp to get to the 110 north. When I was doing the drive every day I didn't usually have to quite come to a stop before getting to the ramp, but it can be slow for about a quarter mile before the ramp. I never wanted to see what it was like eastbound after the 110.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I pick up/drop off at LAX a couple of times a month, I must be inured to the experience.
On Friday night or Sunday night? A total clusterflog.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
On Friday night or Sunday night? A total clusterflog.
It just gets worse and worse Last night at 10 pm it was a complete zoo on the upper level. Thankfully I know all the short cuts.

That cutoff that now is bus only- what can they do to me if I take it in a car?
Old May 19, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That cutoff that now is bus only- what can they do to me if I take it in a car?
Make you go around and around in the loop forever?
Old May 19, 2016, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

So, twice around, eh?
Old May 19, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ha! My strategy is to sit in the cell lot until the plane touches down, then go in the 96th street entrance and pickup at the Flagship lounge entrance. The timing is usually about right except for those occasions when the AA pilot decides to tour around for awhile before heading to the gate. Like last night. So I said screw it, and took the bus only for an extra loop around. I felt like such a rebel.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Not sure if this is too late, but I may have what I consider possibly the best solution for you.

First, I have been flying out of LAX a lot lately and I can assure you that the car rental shuttle buses come often.

The only concern is the wait time for the luggage.

Here would be my step by step strategy:

1. Pick up luggage and then go to car rental shuttle bus by baggage claim area.

2. Once you have picked up your car rental, use GPS if possible, and drive to the South Bay Tranist Station at Vermont and 182nd St, across the Home Depot.

Here you can park, your car for FREE.

3. Then take the FREE Dodger Express Metro Bus. It is the fastest way to get there in rush hour as it will go on Carpool lane on the 110 Freeway.
With Dodgers tickets you don't have to pay for to ride. NO need to worry about paying for parking and you get into the stadium much faster as there is a special lane for the bus.

I just used this service recently and will use it from now on whenever I go to the games.

The Dodger Express Bus will go from 2 hours before game with last bus leaving at game time.

The bus leaves Dodger Stadium at Bottom of 7th inning to 45 minutes after the game is over.

Trust me on this. Probably the most convenient and fastest way to get to Dodger Stadium from the South Bay area.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:25 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by hoangb
3. Then take the FREE Dodger Express Metro Bus. It is the fastest way to get there in rush hour as it will go on Carpool lane on the 110 Freeway.
With Dodgers tickets you don't have to pay for to ride. NO need to worry about paying for parking and you get into the stadium much faster as there is a special lane for the bus.

I just used this service recently and will use it from now on whenever I go to the games.

The Dodger Express Bus will go from 2 hours before game with last bus leaving at game time.

The bus leaves Dodger Stadium at Bottom of 7th inning to 45 minutes after the game is over.
Here's the webpage and map:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.