FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   LAWA reveals Delta terminal shuffle plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1760364-lawa-reveals-delta-terminal-shuffle-plan.html)

bzcat Apr 18, 2016 2:12 pm

LAWA reveals Delta terminal shuffle plan

It has been reported for a while by various media that Delta is moving to T2/3. Now LAWA has confirmed the move with presentation to other airlines.

http://www.briansumers.com/home/2016...d-3-eventually

I don't want to steal Brian Summers' image without permission so click over to his website to see the map.

• Air Canada: Terminal 2 to Terminal 6
  • Hawaiian Air: Terminal 2 to Terminal 5
  • JetBlue: Terminal 3 to Terminal 6
  • Spirit: Terminal 3 >Terminal 6
  • Virgin America (Alaska): Terminal 3 to Terminal 5
  • American: It would swap four gates it now has in Terminal 6 for 4 gates in Terminal 5.
There are now several international airlines operating in Terminal 2 not accounted for on the map. I do not know where they would go, but presumably they will find space. Some, like Aeromexico, are SkyTeam members, so it's possible they could stay with Delta.
So looks like after the Delta shuffle is done, LAX will finally be somewhat logical for transit passengers.
  • OneWorld airlines will occupy T4, T5, TBIT all connected behind security
  • Biggest Star airlines (UA and AC) will occupy T6, T7, T8 all connected (big improvement in AC to UA connection)
  • SkyTeam airlines (and Delta partners Virgin Atlantic) will occupy T2, T3, TBIT all connected behind security (after T3 rebuild)
  • Alaska will be in T5 and T6.
  • Southwest continues in T1.

radiowell Apr 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Also discussed in a DL thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...al-move-5.html

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 26502885)
[*]Alaska will be in T5 and T6.[/LIST]

THIS will be interesting (which one? or both? or slots divested?)

bzcat Apr 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell (Post 26502990)

Yes... but that discussion was very Delta focused. I thought it may be a good idea to have a broader discussion in the LA forum with other airlines involved. But mods feel free to merge if necessary.

THIS will be interesting (which one? or both? or slots divested?)
LAWA's presentation was made before the VX takeover by AS was announced. So as it stands now, VX is allocated 6 gates in T5 and AS has 6 in T6. If you assume the combined airlines will need 12 gates to maintain existing service plus growth, then you can move B6 and NK to T5 and have AS/VX all in T6.

TWA884 Apr 18, 2016 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 26503291)
I thought it may be a good idea to have a broader discussion in the LA forum with other airlines involved.

Agreed. ;)

TWA884 Apr 18, 2016 4:04 pm

The Cranky Flier got it mostly right three months ago:

radiowell Apr 18, 2016 4:40 pm

Another intrigue: what happens to the "eagle's nest"? Gone as Cranky predicted?

bzcat Apr 18, 2016 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell (Post 26503554)
Another intrigue: what happens to the "eagle's nest"? Gone as Cranky predicted?

That was already set in stone in the AA-LAWA agreement. In exchange for vacating the hanger and other properties on the airport ground to make way for MSC, AA was granted the certain number of mainline gates in exchange for all the Eagle gates.

In order for LAWA to fulfill that agreement with AA, it seemed obvious that LAWA will ask Delta to vacate T5. And that was how the whole Delta moving to T2/3 rumor started a year ago. Now it is not rumored anymore. :cool:

radiowell Apr 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 26503818)
That was already set in stone in the AA-LAWA agreement. In exchange for vacating the hanger and other properties on the airport ground to make way for MSC, AA was granted the certain number of mainline gates in exchange for all the Eagle gates.

In order for LAWA to fulfill that agreement with AA, it seemed obvious that LAWA will ask Delta to vacate T5. And that was how the whole Delta moving to T2/3 rumor started a year ago. Now it is not rumored anymore. :cool:

Ah. Thanks!

bzcat Apr 19, 2016 4:24 pm

Delta rep made a presentation at my work today. He said DL is looking to complete the move to T2 and T3 by Summer 2017, pending LA city council approval on renovation plan and compensation to other airlines, which Delta expects the city council will approve in May or June.

After that, there will be a phased-move with airlines moving one at a time from T2 to TBIT, and from T3 to T5 or T6 while Delta shifts some flight operations to T3, until all the flights are moved by Summer 2017. Renovation (probably just interim reno) of T3 will begin as soon as Delta has a lease on the terminal. A complete rebuild of T3 may have to wait until MSC is done so Delta can temporary use some TBIT North and/or TBIT MSC gates.

To facilitate transit to Virgin Atlantic and other SkyTeam partners prior to the rebuild, the plan is to have air-side bus connection between T2, T3, and TBIT until T3 rebuild is completed.

CO FF May 23, 2016 11:27 am

So as of today:

T1 - 15 gates - WN
T2 - 12 gates - DL, plus AF, AM, KL, VS (is anyone else from ST not in TBIT?)
T3 - 11 gates - DL, plus AF, AM, KL, VS (is anyone else from ST not in TBIT?)
T4 - 15 gates (once 44 is no longer a bus terminal) - AA, plus 2 QF flights
T5 - 15 gates - AA (4), VX (6), HA using common (5)
T6 - 15 gates - AS (6), NK (3), B6 (2), AC using common (4)
T7 - 11 gates - UA
T8 - 9 gates - UA

Or, by major airlines:

AA - 23 (15 T4, + 4 each TBIT & T5)
AS - 12
UA - 20
WN - 15
DL - 23

So, it seems to me the logical answer is to swap the cats & dogs from T6 to T5, with T6 being AS+VX (12) and AC (3), with AC's checkin and baggage being in T7 handled by UA; that would leave T5 shared between AA (4), HA (??), B6 (2), NK (3) and space for a new startup at the common gates. Also, if TBIT continues to grow, that lets LAWA move AA from TBIT to T5's common gates.

bzcat May 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by CO FF (Post 26669295)
So as of today:

T1 - 15 gates - WN
T2 - 12 gates - DL, plus AF, AM, KL, VS (is anyone else from ST not in TBIT?)
T3 - 11 gates - DL, plus AF, AM, KL, VS (is anyone else from ST not in TBIT?)
T4 - 15 gates (once 44 is no longer a bus terminal) - AA, plus 2 QF flights
T5 - 15 gates - AA (4), VX (6), HA using common (5)
T6 - 15 gates - AS (6), NK (3), B6 (2), AC using common (4)
T7 - 11 gates - UA
T8 - 9 gates - UA

Or, by major airlines:

AA - 23 (15 T4, + 4 each TBIT & T5)
AS - 12
UA - 20
WN - 15
DL - 23

So, it seems to me the logical answer is to swap the cats & dogs from T6 to T5, with T6 being AS+VX (12) and AC (3), with AC's checkin and baggage being in T7 handled by UA; that would leave T5 shared between AA (4), HA (??), B6 (2), NK (3) and space for a new startup at the common gates. Also, if TBIT continues to grow, that lets LAWA move AA from TBIT to T5's common gates.

AF and KL are in TBIT and there is no chance they will move back to T2 due to AF A380 operations. AM and VS will stay in T2 and co-locate with DL.

QF is all in TBIT, no more BNE departures from T4.

AS+VX will probably end up together in T6 but that doesn't mean all the "cats and dogs" will be in T5. There will probably be some contractions (e.g. LAX-SEA) once the merger is finished so AS-VX may not need 12 gates. Also, AA's deal with LAWA includes pulling down Eagle's nest so it may have preferential use for more than just 4 gates in T5 (but 4 gates is the minimum - just swapping them from T6 to T5).

I think AC will prefer to be in T6 which is closer to UA but T5 is not a deal breaker... it's still an improvement over T2.

OskiBear May 26, 2016 3:17 pm

I guess this means QR will go to TBIT.

Why did they ever end up in T2 to start with?

carljanderson May 29, 2016 9:26 am

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 26508655)
After that, there will be a phased-move with airlines moving one at a time from T2 to TBIT, and from T3 to T5 or T6 while Delta shifts some flight operations to T3, until all the flights are moved by Summer 2017. Renovation (probably just interim reno) of T3 will begin as soon as Delta has a lease on the terminal. A complete rebuild of T3 may have to wait until MSC is done so Delta can temporary use some TBIT North and/or TBIT MSC gates.

Thankfully, I don't connect at LAX. Can't imagine how much fun a bus ride will be from T5/6 to T3 during this transition time-wise. Spotters wise it'd be awesome.

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 26686572)
I guess this means QR will go to TBIT.

Why did they ever end up in T2 to start with?

I think it is in T2 where they could have a dedicated lounge. If they do end up moving to TBIT, I would imagine LAWA would give them a nice deal on an MSC lounge.

BTW, this isn't on LAWA's BOAC agenda for 6/2. Maybe 6/16 -23?

bzcat Jun 1, 2016 7:15 pm

LAWA already approve it. It's going to the City Council now.

TWA884 Jul 19, 2016 5:05 pm

The matter is item 16 of the agenda of the Special Open Session of the City of Los Angeles Board of Airport Commissioners that is scheduled for Wednesday, July 20, 2016, at 2:00 pm.

Here is a link to a PDF of the the Report to the Board of Airport Commissioners that was submitted by Deborah Flint, Chief Executive Officer - Los Angeles World Airports.