Old Apr 14, 16, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Uber and Lyft have devastated L.A.'s taxi industry

In the Los Angeles Times:
Uber and Lyft have devastated L.A.'s taxi industry

Excerpts:
Since the ride-hailing services began operating in Southern California three years ago, the number of L.A. taxi trips arranged in advance has fallen by 42%, according to city data, and the total number of trips has plummeted by nearly a third. The steepest drops were in the city's most popular nightlife and tourist destinations: the Westside, Hollywood and downtown.

Paul Ezadjian, 56, a manager for LA Checker Cab, said many of his drivers have seen their trips fall by as much as 40%, and the decline seems to be accelerating. After insurance premiums, gas and payments to lease their cabs, taxi drivers now take home $400 to $500 per week, down from $800 a few years ago, Ezadjian said.

“For a consumer, Uber is very good,” Ezadjian said. “But for the driver, it’s very bad.” That's apparent from the number of drivers with permits to work in Los Angeles. After years of slow but steady increases, the city has shed 586 drivers over the past three years — a decline of 14%, the data show.

The silver lining in the data is LAX, which has long been the stronghold of the Southern California taxi industry because trips that begin there are typically longer and more lucrative. Since Uber and Lyft arrived, taxis have increased their trips at the airport by 41%. That increase has helped offset the revenue loss from the decline in other types of business.

Old Apr 14, 16, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA
We saw that coming. Didn't we? Money apart, I am just fed up with haggling, arguing and rash driving on yellow cabs.
Old Apr 14, 16, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I'm afraid the taxi industry brought this on themselves. The tracking features and accountability of Uber etc. are a big component of it's success - after 10 years in NYC taking dirty yellow cabs and arguing with drivers over routing (the old turn east out of LGA to go through the midtown tunnel into Manhattan trick instead of West over the Triboro or Queensboro), it's such a pleasure to use Uber and Lyft by comparison. For what it's worth, in TLV I use "Gett" which uses licensed taxis and has the same rating/tracking features as Uber, so it's not just about the licensed vs. unlicensed issue.
Old Apr 14, 16, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moderator's Note:

This is the Los Angeles forum, so please confine your remarks to Uber and Lyft's impact on the taxi industry in the greater Los Angeles area.

Comments concerning the ridesharing and taxi industries in general belong in the Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft forum.

Thank you,

TWA884
Old Apr 14, 16, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
<deleted by moderator>

I am from LA and while I don't live there any more, I never once took a taxi in LA - only ever my own car, a rental car or a "limo" service. I know plenty of people who use Uber there today, however. I'd be willing to bet that Uber and Lyft have greatly increased the overall number of "rides" in the LA area although likely at the expense of the taxi industry.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 15, 16 at 12:14 am Reason: Comment on moderator's note; FT Rule 18
Old Apr 15, 16, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
Not surprising!

I've lived in LA my whole life and have taken a taxi here a total of three times, each instance more troubling than the last.

The article brings out an interesting point about how uber and lyft are being used for shorter trips: the taxi interaction that broke the camel's back for me was in the middle of downtown; my phone was dead, and I needed to get less than a mile away. I was carrying luggage for two people, so walking was out. No cab driver would agree to do take me for less than $40 cash, "plus tip".
Old Apr 15, 16, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In OC my only previous option to get to LAX was prebooking a car at 100 or so dollars, calling a cab that would take ages to get here and also cost around 100, or getting supershuttle and riding around for hours at ~50 dollars, now for a bit less than the shuttle I can have an uber come to my house in about 10 minutes any time of day or night.
Old Apr 16, 16, 5:29 pm

Good. The Uber/Lyft beats taxi experience for almost everything, except for certain time/location from LAX where there are flat taxi rates (e.g. downtown) and there's surge pricing.
Old Apr 16, 16, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Uber has been wonderful. My LA taxi experiences were (past tense intentional) poor to middling. They included:

(1) one-half of fares: unpleasant cars with surly drivers, inflated fare per meter, often additional surcharges insinuated by driver
(2) one-third of fares: intentional overcharge attempts by driver; attempts at fraud or other theft by driver
(3) one-sixth of fares: direct belligerence by driver, including assault and attempted battery
Old Jun 3, 16, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Silver
Are Lyft drivers obligated to take you from LAX to wherever? I requested a Lyft last night. The driver called me and asked me where I was going. He apologized to me and said he couldn't take me to Long Beach, because he wanted to go home to the Valley, so I cancelled the request because of his call. My next request was to Uber.

It was late at night so I didn't feel like arguing, but I would like to know what the LAX Lyft rules are in the future.
Old Jun 3, 16, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would ask Lyft. Surely there has to be some limit. I could totally see a driver who wants to be home northbound in the next hour or so, declining a very long south bound fare.

can't he decline and kick you to the next driver?
Old Jun 6, 16, 10:52 am

One Lyft driver told me that they are not supposed to call you and ask you for the destination. They were not told the destination in the first place because Lyft doesn't want the drivers to cherry pick the destination that suits them. I don't know how bad it would be for them if you report them.. but I would guess a few reports could get them removed as a Lyft driver.
Old Jun 6, 16, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The invention of the electric light bulb had deleterious effects on the candle making industry, I've heard.
Old Jun 6, 16, 11:13 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
The invention of the electric light bulb had deleterious effects on the candle making industry, I've heard.
THANK YOU!!! [and] the digital camera killed Kodak.
Old Jun 7, 16, 8:58 am

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Video killed the radio star.

Search this Thread