2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by meballard
Worst case scenario if you miss the 7:30p Pacific Surfliner, there's still a 10:10p Pacific Surfliner departure.
True, and tickets on the Surfliner are unreserved, so no need to even change the ticket if you fear missing the train--just use the same ticket.
Old May 20, 2014, 6:42 pm

Im flying from DC to Lax on us air, then Lax to Syd on Qantas next week. I have about 5 hours at LAX, so I was thinking I would try to get out to grab some in n out while I'm there. Should I let US air transfer my bag to my Qantas flight? To me it seems like its asking for my bag to maybe get lost before my big Australia trip, but other are telling me to just let US air take care of it. Im going through security again anyway, so to me it didnt seem like a big deal but I wasnt sure what to do
Old May 20, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by igneous
Im flying from DC to Lax on us air, then Lax to Syd on Qantas next week. I have about 5 hours at LAX, so I was thinking I would try to get out to grab some in n out while I'm there. Should I let US air transfer my bag to my Qantas flight? To me it seems like its asking for my bag to maybe get lost before my big Australia trip, but other are telling me to just let US air take care of it. Im going through security again anyway, so to me it didnt seem like a big deal but I wasnt sure what to do
In my experience, US Air does a good job. If you were to move the bag to Qantas yourself, you'd need at least an hour to claim your bag, walk to TBIT and checkin with Qantas. Keep in mind that QF's desk might not even be open that far in advance (not sure when their desk opens.) By the time you do all of that and walk back to T1 (where it is "easiest" to do an In-N-Out run from) you will probably have burned up nearly 2 hrs.

One tip, US Air seems to only allow 3 "stopover points" on their bag tags. Any more than that and they manually write it up. Don't let them do that, that's asking for trouble.

There is no reason to check your bags beyond SYD if you are transferring to a QF domestic flight, everyone has to claim their bags and walk (a semi-long way) to the QF transfer center. If your QF flight to SYD is flying beyond SYD (e.g., stays international airside) then you will need your bag checked properly in order to do an international transfer. I don't think many QF flights do this, but there a few that might (UA definitely flies LAX-->SYD-->MEL all on one flight #, and you don't clear customs in SYD.)

-- Dan
Old May 21, 2014, 12:23 am

Thanks! Yea Ill just let US air take care of it then. Im doing PVD to IAD, IAD to LAX on US air, then just LAX to SYD on qantas. My lay overs are 3 hours and 5 hours, so theres no real worry about my bags not making it.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
planning to fly on 2 completely separate reservations in november. ICN-LAX on OZ (A380) arrives at 0830, then i have LAX-SFO on UA at 1000 to kick off an international trip to BAH. i have global entry.

i suppose i could only bring a carryon, but i'll be coming from 2 weeks in europe and bangkok so i'll probably check a bag solely to bring gifts back.

is this doable? i'm UA plat so i could SDC if there was a delay.

there's no way to have OZ check my bag through to BAH with UA, right? not sure if both being *A helps.

any advice is appreciated. i rarely fly internationally and almost never check a bag so i'm essentially clueless.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by riphamilton

there's no way to have OZ check my bag through to BAH with UA, right? not sure if both being *A helps.

any advice is appreciated. i rarely fly internationally and almost never check a bag so i'm essentially clueless.
There is a good chance you could get the bag tagged through, but you would still need to claim it at TBIT during customs and immigration, and the drop it off at the transfer desk after.

If the baggage gets to the claim reasonably quickly, with GE, there is a good reasonable chance you can make that, and if you can SDC to a later flight without cost, you should be fine (especially since you should be able to get through security quickly between GE/PreCheck/UA Plat), but it will probably be tight.
Old May 23, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by meballard
There is a good chance you could get the bag tagged through, but you would still need to claim it at TBIT during customs and immigration, and the drop it off at the transfer desk after.

If the baggage gets to the claim reasonably quickly, with GE, there is a good reasonable chance you can make that, and if you can SDC to a later flight without cost, you should be fine (especially since you should be able to get through security quickly between GE/PreCheck/UA Plat), but it will probably be tight.
thanks for the reply. i think i'll give it a shot just for the thrill.

i should probably insist that OZ gives me a *A 'priority' tag as i'm sure baggage claim for a TPAC A380 is one of the true joys in life. whether OZ treats priority tags differently is an entirely separate question.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:25 pm

SEA-LAX-AUS on Alaska (T6) then Qantas (TBIT)

Hi folks - love these forums, hoping the experts can help with some advice. Same (newbie) question for the outbound and the return, as I'm a mostly domestic flyer.

Corporate travel booked me
1. SEA-LAX on Alaska, arriving 9:15pm - T6.
2. LAX-BNE on Qantas, departing 11:45pm - TBIT

Two questions:
1. Is that enough time to make the flight?
2. Assuming I need to re-check-in at TBIT - should I just walk, given the buses travel in the opposite direction? Or is the airside shuttle works an option from T6...

The return flight arrives LAX at 6:40am and departs at 8:40am (same flights in reverse).

I'm Global Entry, not checking bags - a bit worried about the 2 hour layover on the way home.
Old May 25, 2014, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by debracey
In my experience, US Air does a good job. If you were to move the bag to Qantas yourself, you'd need at least an hour to claim your bag, walk to TBIT and checkin with Qantas. Keep in mind that QF's desk might not even be open that far in advance (not sure when their desk opens.) By the time you do all of that and walk back to T1 (where it is "easiest" to do an In-N-Out run from) you will probably have burned up nearly 2 hrs.
Originally Posted by igneous
Thanks! Yea Ill just let US air take care of it then. Im doing PVD to IAD, IAD to LAX on US air, then just LAX to SYD on qantas. My lay overs are 3 hours and 5 hours, so theres no real worry about my bags not making it.
Just a quick point of clarification, US is now in T3, which is much closer to TBIT now, but also now that much farther away from In-n-Out. Unless you really need to stretch out your legs, I would use the Parking Spot/Sepulveda shuttle.

I agree that 1) US shouldn't have a problem mishandling your bag, and 2) QF's counter probably won't be open that early.
Old May 25, 2014, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by riphamilton
planning to fly on 2 completely separate reservations in november. ICN-LAX on OZ (A380) arrives at 0830, then i have LAX-SFO on UA at 1000 to kick off an international trip to BAH. i have global entry.

i suppose i could only bring a carryon, but i'll be coming from 2 weeks in europe and bangkok so i'll probably check a bag solely to bring gifts back.

I think it's doable, especially with GE.

Quickest "official" way to get from TBIT to T6/T7 is to hop onto an LAX "A" route for airline connections, which circulates on the lower level of the airport.

The quickest unofficial way is just to try hopping on ANY shuttle, since they almost all have to drive by T6/T7 anyway. By any shuttle, I mean any shuttle for LAX itself, hotel, rental car, parking lot, etc. Just be sure to ask the driver if it's ok, and to make sure they don't bypass your stop.

As I understand it, if you show OZ your itinerary for LAX-SFO, they should be able to tag it through for you. YMMV.
Old May 25, 2014, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TheBoilermaker
Hi folks - love these forums, hoping the experts can help with some advice. Same (newbie) question for the outbound and the return, as I'm a mostly domestic flyer.

Two questions:
2. Assuming I need to re-check-in at TBIT - should I just walk, given the buses travel in the opposite direction? Or is the airside shuttle works an option from T6...

The return flight arrives LAX at 6:40am and departs at 8:40am (same flights in reverse).

I'm Global Entry, not checking bags - a bit worried about the 2 hour layover on the way home.
On your way out, 2.5 hours is plenty of time for you to make it from T6 to TBIT, even walking without rushing. No direct airside shuttle, but you may want to try asking to get on the T6>T4 shuttle, which will get you 85% of the distance there. There shouldn't be any need for you to recheck in for your QF flight at LAX... AS should be able to do that for you.

On your way back, 2 hours obviously gets tighter, but you should be ok. 3 times now arriving at LAX with GE, I've gotten from airplane door to curbside in about 20 mins average. Then you're blessed with shuttles running the "right" direction and you'll be at T6 in no time. Be sure to look for the escalators near the AS F check-in, it's a separate entry away from the masses, and will put you right at the Pre-Check entrance.

Worst-case scenario and you miss your flight, AS will accommodate you easily, as they have almost hourly departures for SEA.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:08 am

Thanks!

Originally Posted by LAXative
On your way out, 2.5 hours is plenty of time for you to make it from T6 to TBIT, even walking without rushing. No direct airside shuttle, but you may want to try asking to get on the T6>T4 shuttle, which will get you 85% of the distance there. There shouldn't be any need for you to recheck in for your QF flight at LAX... AS should be able to do that for you.

On your way back, 2 hours obviously gets tighter, but you should be ok. 3 times now arriving at LAX with GE, I've gotten from airplane door to curbside in about 20 mins average. Then you're blessed with shuttles running the "right" direction and you'll be at T6 in no time. Be sure to look for the escalators near the AS F check-in, it's a separate entry away from the masses, and will put you right at the Pre-Check entrance.

Worst-case scenario and you miss your flight, AS will accommodate you easily, as they have almost hourly departures for SEA.

Thanks LAXative! (great username, btw)
Old May 26, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

Two questions:

Q1 - been answered but is easily enough time.

If this is all the one booking then you should have no trouble checking in at SEA all the way to BNE, both luggage and BP's. (Even if not on the one booking, AS have done similar for me in the past.)

Q2 - you could use 1) the AA airside bus from T6 to T4, then 2) the "QF" airside bus for T4 to TBIT. Me? I'd just walk to TBIT.

On the return, with a 2 hour connection, with GE you should be OK, however if late then on disembarkation at TBIT, look for an agent holding the Floro Expedited travel wallets. (In reality, if you so miss your flight to SEA it should not be a big deal with plenty of later options to be re-booked onto.)
Old May 27, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat

Two questions:

1. Yes, enough time.

2. Walk is faster. T6 to T4 airside shuttle may require you to wait as long as 15 minutes so if it is not waiting for you at the T6 bus gate, it's not worth your time.

3. Return flight 2 hour is basically minimal time required. But since you have GE and no checked bag, you should have no trouble making it.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:19 pm

I am booked on two separate PNRs IAD-LAX (AA) and then LAX-NRT (SQ) with 2hrs and 45min of connection time around noon on a Tuesday. I will have checked luggage. Is this on the tight side? It sounds like T4-TBIT is very close and easy, but am just a bit nervous as I'll have to collect bags from T4 and then recheck before going through security at TBIT. I could take an earlier IAD-LAX flight, but cost would be about $200 more total. Thoughts anyone? Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.