Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Closed Thread

Old Feb 5, 14, 10:37 pm

Connecting tomorrow from Delta to Virgin Australia. What gate in the Delta terminal is the Delta terminal to TBIT terminal transfer bus located?
Old Feb 5, 14, 10:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nas6034 View Post
Connecting tomorrow from Delta to Virgin Australia. What gate in the Delta terminal is the Delta terminal to TBIT terminal transfer bus located?
AFAIK there is no bus to connect from Terminal 5 (Delta) to TBIT in security, nor is one mentioned on the Virgin Australia site that I can see.

According to the Virgin Australia site, if you need to check it, you will need to go over to Terminal 3 (outside security), then enter security at the Bradley terminal.

At some point in the future it will likely be possible to walk that connection in security, but I believe there is no way currently.
Old Feb 6, 14, 4:32 am

I am hoping to get my Virgin Australia BP at the point of departure in order to avoid T3. I read somewhere in this thread or forum that there was an airside bus from the Delta terminal to TBIT. I just can't find it.
Old Feb 6, 14, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
I think there was an airside bus from T5 to T3 when Alaska was still in T3. Not anymore.
Old Feb 6, 14, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
I think there was an airside bus from T5 to T3 when Alaska was still in T3. Not anymore.
There was an afternoon/evening T5-T3 transfer bus sponsored by VA right up until they moved departures to TBIT on Dec 1st last year. It is "no more".

It was referenced in the airport guide of a year ago, but the has been removed.

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...l/los-angeles/
Old Feb 7, 14, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by debracey View Post
How on earth did you get Qantas to put flights on USAir on the same PNR? Even though the AA merger has cleared legal hurdles, USAir won't enter OneWorld till Springtime... We will assume your comment re/ "all on one PNR" is actually your Qantas domestic & international flights.

Ignoring the US flights for a second -- I have serious concerns about your Australian flights. Having flown to SYD many times, I know that outbound customs can take a *LONG* time. You'll be able to use the Qantas transfer bus, but the bus ride (which is slower now due to SYD construction) and the outbound customs can easily take 1.5 hours.

Definitely beg Qantas for an express pass. I would not try that connection if I were in your shoes. SYD is even worse than LAX for Dom <--> International connections and I never allow anything less than 3 hrs there.

Back to LAX --- I'll answer your questions with the assumption that Qantas won't give you USAir passes. Ultimately it doesn't really matter anyway.

1. Nope. Qantas will only give you passes to LAX. The bag drop place in TBIT for USAir should be able to print your passes and retag your luggage (which will also only be tagged for LAX).

2. Correct. You will clear passport control (should take ~2 hrs) and then collect your bags & clear customs (should be quick provided you have no major items to declare). You can then proceed to the bag drop, where they should be able to get you passes and retag your luggage.

3. Should be able to get them in TBIT if you're nice. If you're not or the agent is in a bad mood, they may force you to T1.

To get to T1, you'll need about 10-15 minutes walking. The shuttle will take longer as it travels the opposite way and you'll have to go all the way round. Exit TBIT to the left at **DEPARTURE** level. You can also use the arrival (lower) level, but departure level will be more pleasant assuming it is not raining.

3.5 hours should be enough time provided you arrive on time. T1 security may be a bit slow thanks to Southwest, but you should still be ok. The food options in T1 are ... limited, just something to keep in mind.

-- Dan
Thank you all for your advice, and Serfty for the map of LAX, which was really helpful. Thanks to you I knew exactly where to go in the airport.

As it happened, all our connections went smoothly--even though Qantas would not check our luggage through to PHX and we had to walk to Terminal 1 and start checkin over with USAir. I can see how, if the outbound immigration line at Sydney or the inbound line at LAX had been longer/slower, it might have been stressful. But as it happened we had plenty of time.
Old Feb 13, 14, 3:01 am

Adequacy of connection time between Int'l.-domestic flts. at LAX?

Hi all
we are looking at a multi stop ticket
Sydney, Australia to LA to Orlando to London to LA to Sydney

we are looking at the Sydney to LA flight arriving in LA at 10.10am on the 7th Dec and then flying to Orlando on the same day 3 hours later, all flights are with united, is 3 hours enough to get through Immigration seeing we are Australian and get to the LA to Orlando flight? if the Sydney to LA flight was late, seeing the LA to orlando is in the same booking will united get us on the next flight if we miss connection because of them? opinions? im going to ring them i think, but thought id ask here too
thanks in advance
Old Feb 13, 14, 4:13 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA, KLM -Silver, SAS - Silver, M&M
if the Sydney to LA flight was late, seeing the LA to orlando is in the same booking will united get us on the next flight if we miss connection because of them?
Yes. Next available flight which might not always be the "next flight" .

I'm told the "transit" situation at LAX is improving, but my last experience was that I spent the whole three hours queuing for either immigration or customs. However, three hours is adequate, and anyway United will get you to Orlando one way or another since you are ticketed through, so no point worrying about it.
Old Feb 13, 14, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC Royal Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
advice for time between flights

LAX not best airport for immigration/customs, but three hours should be fine. And yes, UA will get you there.
Old Feb 13, 14, 10:05 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta, AA, southwest
Originally Posted by Raideress View Post
Hi all
we are looking at a multi stop ticket
Sydney, Australia to LA to Orlando to London to LA to Sydney

we are looking at the Sydney to LA flight arriving in LA at 10.10am on the 7th Dec and then flying to Orlando on the same day 3 hours later, all flights are with united, is 3 hours enough to get through Immigration seeing we are Australian and get to the LA to Orlando flight? if the Sydney to LA flight was late, seeing the LA to orlando is in the same booking will united get us on the next flight if we miss connection because of them? opinions? im going to ring them i think, but thought id ask here too
thanks in advance
I would not cut it this close. If you have any delay departing Sydney you will have a difficult time in Customs and Immigration. I have been there when 5 international planes landed all at once and the immigration hall was a madhouse. It took hours to get through. One of the main reasons I signed up for Global Entry.
Old Feb 13, 14, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
My experience 3 years ago entering Immigration from LAX was indeed a zoo. Took us 3 hours to get through, and we were flying in from Cancun, Mexico. If I had a connection to catch, I would inform one of the agents at Immigration, to see if they can bump us up along the line. But I imagine its YMMV when it comes to those type of requests.

Its good to hear though that Immigration Hall is improving at LAX.
Old Feb 13, 14, 12:07 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
With a more specific thread title, I'll move this to the Los Angeles forum where LAX connections are often discussed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Feb 13, 14, 4:17 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA, KLM -Silver, SAS - Silver, M&M
I'll move this to the Los Angeles forum
LA people would be starting or ending their journey at LAX, not connecting, surely?
Old Feb 13, 14, 7:30 pm

Thanks for the replies, in the past we have usually been bumped along pretty fast through immigration, usually because we have two very tired looking little girls trying to sit down on the floor every time the line moves and last time they were both only 4 years old, this time they will have just turned 7, so prob less sympathy help
Old Feb 14, 14, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
3 hours is enough for Int'l to domestic transfer in the same terminal. You will still need to clear immigration and customs, recheck your luggage, and clear security again but at least you will be in the same terminal so no wasting time taking the shuttle bus around the airport.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the connection time if you are on the same ticket. UA will make sure you get to Orlando.

Search this Thread