Reload this Page >

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Below is a link to the 2014 thread. Much information there remains relevant, but to keep it from getting too long, this is your 2015 thread.
TWA884
Print Wikipost

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Jethro123
I'm not sure where to post this, but does anyone know whether you have to pass back through security to go from one terminal to another at LAX? I'm going to meet a business associate there and we're both between flights, that is, taking connections at LAX. Thanks
It will vary by terminal. Generally you need to exit security to move between terminals (i.e. T4 to TBIT). I've read there are some tunnels now between T4 & T6 that are airside, and of course, the buses that take you from T4 to the Eagles Nest.

If you want more specific help, post the terminals involved and I'm sure someone may pony up some LAX "secrets".
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
It will vary by terminal. Generally you need to exit security to move between terminals (i.e. T4 to TBIT). I've read there are some tunnels now between T4 & T6 that are airside, and of course, the buses that take you from T4 to the Eagles Nest.

If you want more specific help, post the terminals involved and I'm sure someone may pony up some LAX "secrets".
You can go from T-4 all the way to T-8 post security air side via a combination of tunnels and walkways.

On the other side of the airport (T-1 to T-3) there is no air side access between terminals.

At the moment you can't transit from T-4 to Tom Bradley, but early next year that will also be possible.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Also, if you have a same day BP for travel from LAX you can go through security in any terminal.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: American Platinum
Thanks guys! I'm here now. Based on replies above, I'm assuming if I'm at Alaska airlines club in terminal 6 I can get to terminal 4 without passing security. And I can pass security at terminal 6 even though my same day boarding pass is for terminal 4. Correct?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Thanks guys! I'm here now. Based on replies above, I'm assuming if I'm at Alaska airlines club in terminal 6 I can get to terminal 4 without passing security. And I can pass security at terminal 6 even though my same day boarding pass is for terminal 4. Correct?
Here is the LAX terminal map from their website. http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...tion%20Map.pdf . It doesn't show the connection between T4 & T5, but do recall seeing posts that it does exist. I'm sure there are signs showing the way.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Here is the LAX terminal map from their website. http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...tion%20Map.pdf . It doesn't show the connection between T4 & T5, but do recall seeing posts that it does exist. I'm sure there are signs showing the way.
Here's the relevant thread:
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The other posts allude to it, but the short answer is: Yes.

TSA in T6 most likely won't even care/notice, but if they mention to you that you're at the wrong terminal, just say you are visiting the airline lounge in T6. It is TSA policy to allow access to any terminal at the departing airport as long as you hold a valid boarding pass for that airport.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by jackal
... It is TSA policy to allow access to any terminal at the departing airport as long as you hold a valid boarding pass for that airport.
It that for any airport in the USA or just at Los Angeles?

Interested in this as I have only seen this policy in reference to LAX - it could make JFK (for example) rather interesting.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by serfty

Interested in this as I have only seen this policy in reference to LAX - it could make JFK (for example) rather interesting.
Any airport. I've done it at JFK (awhile ago) as well as EWR, LAX, and a couple of others.

I have even accessed T5 at ORD to use the *A lounges there on longer ORD layovers. The contract line dragon at the entrance to the security checkpoint gave me a "You know you're in the wrong terminal, right?" but the TSAgents themselves didn't blink an eye.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty

Originally Posted by jackal
Any airport. I've done it at JFK (awhile ago) as well as EWR, LAX, and a couple of others.

I have even accessed T5 at ORD to use the *A lounges there on longer ORD layovers. The contract line dragon at the entrance to the security checkpoint gave me a "You know you're in the wrong terminal, right?" but the TSAgents themselves didn't blink an eye.
This is another area where YMMV. Every so often there will be an agent the believes they know more about what you should be doing and try to "do you a favor". Know what you want and make it clear.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Please let's get back on topic, which is LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections.

Thank you,

TWA884,
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: LH SEN
Hello fellow Fts

Two quick questions for LAX, hope this thread is appropriate:
1) How much time would you suggest is required to depart for an international flight? Checkin, TSA etc? Flight departs 7pm, when should we be at the airport? Is 5pm sufficient?

2) <question moved to the The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread [merged threads]>

Thank you for your insights and suggestions.
W

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 1, 2015 at 1:36 pm Reason: Split questions between appropriate threads
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by Wombelero
Hello fellow Fts

Two quick questions for LAX, hope this thread is appropriate:
1) How much time would you suggest is required to depart for an international flight? Checkin, TSA etc? Flight departs 7pm, when should we be at the airport? Is 5pm sufficient?

2) <question moved to the The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread [merged threads]

Thank you for your insights and suggestions.
W
Need to know some more information. What airline? What terminal? US Citizen? Checking bags?

Generally speaking, US carriers want you to check in 2 hrs before for international flights. Often times they won't accept checked bags once your within the 2 hr window. If you have no checked bags you can check in online (maybe), and buy yourself some time there.

I'll assume you'll need to check at least one bag -- in which case I would say "no". I would arrive ready to go at the checkin line no later than 4:30 -- keeping in mind that you will need to arrive earlier than that to park, get to terminal, etc.

-- Dan
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
If you are at the terminal at 5PM for 7PM international flight, you should be ok.

If you think you are going to return your rental car at 5PM for 7PM flight, you will most likely miss the baggage cutoff and not allowed to check your bags. Add another 45 minutes if you are returning rental car.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN
We will be in LA for 2 days and then return to Switzerland, therefore internation flight, non us citizen. No rental car.
So I guess being there latest 5pm should be alright for luggage drop, security theatre etc.

Thanks for the advice.
W

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.