Reload this Page >

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Below is a link to the 2014 thread. Much information there remains relevant, but to keep it from getting too long, this is your 2015 thread.
TWA884
Print Wikipost

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Quick question for those who know LAX well...

I will be traveling and arriving late on a Sunday later this year, at LAX T4 I will have a bike with me which will be in a bike case, and so outsized baggage, where in T4 does this get delivered? I can find no information as to where my bike will be delivered or a floor plan of the baggage area.

Thanks for you help

SB
Old May 19, 2015, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY

I will be traveling and arriving late on a Sunday later this year, at LAX T4 I will have a bike with me which will be in a bike case, and so outsized baggage, where in T4 does this get delivered? I can find no information as to where my bike will be delivered or a floor plan of the baggage area.

Thanks for you help

SB
The oversized baggage belt is against the wall at the very east end of the baggage claim area.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dannylman
Hi guys

My first post here - hoping for some guidance on a connections query for my first trip to LAX.

Flying from LHR to LAX with AA into TBIT, arriving at 5.10pm on Sun-13-Sept.

I'm looking to fly to SFO that evening with VA, departing at 8.30pm.

What are your thoughts - is that enough of a connection time, to get through security/customers, collect bags, get to T3, check bags and make the flight?

Would really appreciate your views on this one.

Thanks

Dan
You should be OK even if you don't have Global Entry or are not a US citizen, however, you never know. That's a fairly busy arrival time from Europe at TBIT. I believe that you will actually be deplaning at T4 and bused over to the federal inspection facility TBIT, so you have to allow extra time for that.

AA has a 9:00 pm to SFO. In my opinion that is a safer choice since you will be identified as a connecting passenger and receive priority immigration and customs processing and protected by AA in case that your flight from London is late.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by TWA884
I believe that you will actually be deplaning at T4 and bused over to the federal inspection facility TBIT, so you have to allow extra time for that.
I've arrived on AA at T4 and have used a walkway from T4 to TBIT. It was a low-numbered gate, though, so perhaps international flights don't always arrive there and the higher-numbered ones don't have direct access to the walkway? Wouldn't surprise me.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
You should be OK even if you don't have Global Entry or are not a US citizen, however, you never know. That's a fairly busy arrival time from Europe at TBIT. I believe that you will actually be deplaning at T4 and bused over to the federal inspection facility TBIT, so you have to allow extra time for that.

AA has a 9:00 pm to SFO. In my opinion that is a safer choice since you will be identified as a connecting passenger and receive priority immigration and customs processing and protected by AA in case that your flight from London is late.
Thanks for the reply. I've only a UK passport, so no GE...looks like I'll check that later flight out...shame as £50 more expensive.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by dannylman
Thanks for the reply. I've only a UK passport, so no GE...looks like I'll check that later flight out...shame as £50 more expensive.
Have you already purchased your LHR-LAX ticket? If not, check the price for LHR-SFO via LAX. There may not be much of a difference, if any.

If you do end up flying on two separately purchased tickets and continue from LAX to SFO on AA, make sure that the PNR of your second flight is noted in the PNR of the first flight so that you are tagged as a connecting passenger for priority processing if need be.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Quote:

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY

Thanks for you help

SB

The oversized baggage belt is against the wall at the very east end of the baggage claim area.
Many thanks for the reply
Old May 21, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP
We're headed to Colombia in December on 2 separate PNRs (one with AS and one with Aeromexico) with carry-ons only, and fly into LAX on a regular basis, but will need the Flyertalk experts to put my mind at peace about whether this will work.

Domestic-Intl
PDX-LAX arrival at 10:09PM on AS
LAX-MEX-BOG departure at 11:38pm on Aeromexico (T2?)
We'll be in row 6 or possible F if we get upgraded (MVP). We can run if necessary... This is also going to be Christmas eve evening. Will this work?

Intl-Domestic
MEX-LAX arrival at 5:52pm on Aeromexico
LAX-PDX departure at 8:20pm on AS (or is the 7:40pm possible?)
We have GE which should speed things up.

Thanks again for everyone's kind words of advice!
Old May 22, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bnj999
We're headed to Colombia in December on 2 separate PNRs (one with AS and one with Aeromexico) with carry-ons only, and fly into LAX on a regular basis, but will need the Flyertalk experts to put my mind at peace about whether this will work.

Domestic-Intl
PDX-LAX arrival at 10:09PM on AS
LAX-MEX-BOG departure at 11:38pm on Aeromexico (T2?)
We'll be in row 6 or possible F if we get upgraded (MVP). We can run if necessary... This is also going to be Christmas eve evening. Will this work?

Intl-Domestic
MEX-LAX arrival at 5:52pm on Aeromexico
LAX-PDX departure at 8:20pm on AS (or is the 7:40pm possible?)
We have GE which should speed things up.

Thanks again for everyone's kind words of advice!
Outbound is cutting it close. It usually take about 20 minutes to taxi/tow to the gate at LAX so you won't be able to deplane until around 10:30. Since you have only carry on, you can make it from T6 to T2 (walk straight across the horseshoe - it's the fastest way) in about 10 minutes. That will put you right around the cut-off time for international check in. Another 20 or so minutes for TSA check point at T2... you'll reach the gate just around final boarding call. Are you prepared to spend the night at LAX if something goes wrong? How much more $ for an earlier PDX-LAX flight?

Inbound with 2:30 to transfer is doable with GE and no checked luggage. You may even have enough time to take the slow land side shuttle from T2 to T6.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by bzcat
Outbound is cutting it close. It usually take about 20 minutes to taxi/tow to the gate at LAX so you won't be able to deplane until around 10:30. Since you have only carry on, you can make it from T6 to T2 (walk straight across the horseshoe - it's the fastest way) in about 10 minutes. That will put you right around the cut-off time for international check in. Another 20 or so minutes for TSA check point at T2... you'll reach the gate just around final boarding call. Are you prepared to spend the night at LAX if something goes wrong? How much more $ for an earlier PDX-LAX flight?

Inbound with 2:30 to transfer is doable with GE and no checked luggage. You may even have enough time to take the slow land side shuttle from T2 to T6.
Thanks bzcat! There's no difference right now between the outbound flights PDX-LAX at 7:50pm or 5:50pm, but it does make a difference for work, whether we would have to take extra time off to leave early or to leave at a regular time. You're right that it's probably cutting it too close, and would really ruin the beginning of the trip.

I've also read numerous horror stories online about how Aeromexico did not accommodate late passengers, and people having to scramble to buy new tickets on the spot!
Old May 26, 2015, 11:15 am

Hi,

Not being a seasoned traveller, I hadn't realised when I booked my flights that, a) LAX is apparently a nightmare to connect in, and b) that I would need to go through security and then recheck baggage etc at LAX rather than at my final destination. I'm now concerned that my turnaround time may be too tight.

Flying from LHR to LAX, arriving 5.15pm (AA135)
Flying from LAX to PHX, departing 7.40pm (AA5735) - apparently this is operated by Mesa Airlines as American Eagle.

I will be checking baggage.

From everything I've read, I should be flying both into and out of Terminal 4 - is that right?

Does this look doable? Thanks in advance.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by terracotta
I hadn't realised when I booked my flights that, a) LAX is apparently a nightmare to connect in...
The design of the present terminal complex at LAX dates back to the fifties and sixties, when the airport was serving almost exclusively origin and destination traffic.

and b) that I would need to go through security and then recheck baggage etc at LAX rather than at my final destination.
That is true for every airport in the United States; arriving international passengers must clear immigration and customs at the first port of entry.

I'm now concerned that my turnaround time may be too tight.

Flying from LAX to PHX, departing 7.40pm (AA5735) - apparently this is operated by Mesa Airlines as American Eagle.

From everything I've read, I should be flying both into and out of Terminal 4 - is that right?

You should be OK. I assume that you are flying on one ticket. However, you will be protected even if you are flying on separate tickets in case of irregular operations or delay.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Since you are on AA to AA you will be protected in the event of a misconnect, even if on separate tickets.

Your luggage will be checked though to PHX (if on separate tickets show all at check-in), however you will need to collect it at LAX.

At LAX you will need to proceed though immigration, collect bags, proceed though customs, redeposit the bags and you will end up landside. This possibly could all occur at TBIT.

In any case, you will need to re-clear security at T4 and process to gate 44 where a bus will take you to the separate terminal for your AeAgle flight.

Last edited by serfty; May 26, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Old May 29, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Enough Time?

UA J (hopefully GF) flyer, arriving 2 PM from LHR.

Connecting flight to HNL now changed and departing only 2 hours after LAX arrival.

We have Global Entry.

Plenty of time in real world experience?

Many thanks for your insights!
Old May 29, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
UA J (hopefully GF) flyer, arriving 2 PM from LHR.

Connecting flight to HNL now changed and departing only 2 hours after LAX arrival.

We have Global Entry.

Plenty of time in real world experience?

Many thanks for your insights!
Barely, it's a gamble, even with GE. Better not check any bags. I'd book something else.

For the record, sometimes the GE line in T6 (what UA typically uses) is *longer* than the regular US citizen line. This is particularly true at the beginning of the deplaning process. GE is popular amongst biz travelers, who typically book GF/BF or at least can get E+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.