Reload this Page >

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Below is a link to the 2014 thread. Much information there remains relevant, but to keep it from getting too long, this is your 2015 thread.
TWA884
Print Wikipost

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by citizenoftheworld
Thanks debracey for the input. My baggage consists of oversize sporting equipment, and therefore tagging it to my final destination might save me the $150 fee that US charges. I don't mind the long layover. I haven't been in LA for a while, so this will give me an opportunity to get out of the airport and hang out at the Venice Boardwalk, Santa Monica, or Manhattan Beach for a few hours.
I seriously doubt FJ is going to thru tag a special item -- and even if they did, the US agent should retag it and collect the fee.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
US will most certain want to charge for a surf board

Thru-checking won't get you a waiver for oversize luggage fee since you are on two separate ticket. You can try but I have a feeling you will get paged to the counter at the gate anyway once your checked in.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I'm flying ORD-LAX on AA then LAX-NRT on JL next month. The layover is 1h 59m. I'm now kindof paranoid that they will somehow lose my luggage. Do you think it would be worthwhile/risky/better/worse to ask the ORD agent to short check my bag and I recollect and recheck it at LAX? Enough time? Or alternatively if I stop by the JAL counter in TBIT departures would they be able to 'trace' my bag and know whether it made it or not?
Old May 4, 2015, 9:54 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I'm flying ORD-LAX on AA then LAX-NRT on JL next month. The layover is 1h 59m. I'm now kindof paranoid that they will somehow lose my luggage. Do you think it would be worthwhile/risky/better/worse to ask the ORD agent to short check my bag and I recollect and recheck it at LAX? Enough time? Or alternatively if I stop by the JAL counter in TBIT departures would they be able to 'trace' my bag and know whether it made it or not?
At times, I've experienced waits of 30 - 45 minutes for my luggage after arriving at LAX on American. I have no idea how long before flight time JAL stops checking in bags; however, I would not take the risk of missing the cutoff time, especially if your domestic flight blocks in late. The other night, flying in from ORD, we waited 40 minutes for a gate to open at LAX after landing.

Bags are scanned as they are loaded and offloaded, so any agent should be able to tell you if your bag was transferred by AA to JAL.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by TWA884
At times, I've experienced waits of 30 - 45 minutes for my luggage after arriving at LAX on American. I have no idea how long before flight time JAL stops checking in bags; however, I would not take the risk of missing the cutoff time, especially if your domestic flight blocks in late. The other night, flying in from ORD, we waited 40 minutes for a gate to open at LAX after landing.

Bags are scanned as they are loaded and offloaded, so any agent should be able to tell you if your bag was transferred by AA to JAL.
Thanks - I guess I'll just check through then. Hopefully nothing happens, it would be a pain to trace/deal with it if it happens, in Tokyo with no phone and no Japanese skills...
Old May 6, 2015, 2:00 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
UA to AA domestic connection

I think I should be fine now that T4 through T8 are all connected airside, but wanted to double check here to ensure I'm not forgetting anything.

I am connecting from a domestic UA flight to a domestic AA flight.

- Two separate tickets.
- 100 minute connection
- Carry-on luggage only and will do online check-in

No problem, right? I just need to navigate the various underground tunnels and walkways to get from T7/8 to T4?
Old May 6, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
No problem, right? I just need to navigate the various underground tunnels and walkways to get from T7/8 to T4?
Should be no issues; allow 10 to 15 minutes for the walk.
Old May 12, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Normally don't do this, but I am flying SEA-LAX on AS and LAX-LHR on BA on two separate tickets. Thought I was going to already be in LA when I originally booked the BA segment.

Is 2 hr, 45 min hours a safe connecting time from T6 to TBIT on two tickets? I have not been late on the last 5 SEA-LAX AS flights this year, so it seemed reasonable. I'm booked into F on AS, so I'll be off the plane quickly.

EDIT: never flown out of TBIT, so I don't know how long lines are etc. I realize I won't get PreCheck on BA.
Old May 12, 2015, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
(not sure there's any precheck at TBIT - there is certainly priotity)

What time of day are you transiting?
Old May 12, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
(not sure there's any precheck at TBIT - there is certainly priotity)

What time of day are you transiting?
There's definitely no PreCheck on BA.

BA flight is at 9:40p
Old May 12, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sturges
Normally don't do this, but I am flying SEA-LAX on AS and LAX-LHR on BA on two separate tickets. Thought I was going to already be in LA when I originally booked the BA segment.

Is 2 hr, 45 min hours a safe connecting time from T6 to TBIT on two tickets? I have not been late on the last 5 SEA-LAX AS flights this year, so it seemed reasonable. I'm booked into F on AS, so I'll be off the plane quickly.

EDIT: never flown out of TBIT, so I don't know how long lines are etc. I realize I won't get PreCheck on BA.
You should be fine as long as the AS flight in on time.

AS will not check your bags to LHR so you will need to pick up your bags from T6 then walk to TBIT. Don't take the bus at ~7 PM... you could get stuck in traffic hell for 1 hour (not exaggerating) going in the wrong direction. I was at TBIT arrival level 3 days ago at 7PM and it took me 40 minutes to go completely around the horseshoe from T1 to T6 in the lower level in a car. We stopped at T3 and T6 to pickup someone... now imagine stopping at every terminal in a bus.

Last edited by bzcat; May 12, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Old May 12, 2015, 2:42 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
Should be no issues; allow 10 to 15 minutes for the walk.
Thanks! ^
Old May 12, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by sturges

When is your flight?

While 2:45 is normally enough time, you are relying on the AS flight to be on time. Any chance you can pad your connection a bit more by taking the earlier flight? Once in a LONG while LAX gets low visibility, which would delay arrivals.
Old May 14, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
You should be fine as long as the AS flight in on time.

AS will not check your bags to LHR so you will need to pick up your bags from T6 then walk to TBIT. Don't take the bus at ~7 PM... you could get stuck in traffic hell for 1 hour (not exaggerating) going in the wrong direction. I was at TBIT arrival level 3 days ago at 7PM and it took me 40 minutes to go completely around the horseshoe from T1 to T6 in the lower level in a car. We stopped at T3 and T6 to pickup someone... now imagine stopping at every terminal in a bus.
No checked bags, so no issue there. I'll just walk. I hate the LAX shuttle.

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
When is your flight?

While 2:45 is normally enough time, you are relying on the AS flight to be on time. Any chance you can pad your connection a bit more by taking the earlier flight? Once in a LONG while LAX gets low visibility, which would delay arrivals.
BA flight is as 21:40. I might just SDC my AS flight as I don't want to miss it.

Thanks for the replies.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
Sunday Night Connection TBIT (AA) to T3 (VA)

Hi guys

My first post here - hoping for some guidance on a connections query for my first trip to LAX.

Flying from LHR to LAX with AA into TBIT, arriving at 5.10pm on Sun-13-Sept.

I'm looking to fly to SFO that evening with VA, departing at 8.30pm.

What are your thoughts - is that enough of a connection time, to get through security/customers, collect bags, get to T3, check bags and make the flight?

Would really appreciate your views on this one.

Thanks

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.