Reload this Page >

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Below is a link to the 2014 thread. Much information there remains relevant, but to keep it from getting too long, this is your 2015 thread.
TWA884
Print Wikipost

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Is T2 connected to T3 or not? Last I heard it was not, but the official terminal map makes it look otherwise.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:51 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by italdesign
Is T2 connected to T3 or not? Last I heard it was not, but the official terminal map makes it look otherwise.
They are not connected behind security.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by italdesign
Unlike the south side, there's no marking for "terminal connector" between T2 and T3. The only connected parts are landside areas.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
arriving from PVG on UA199 and need to grab a separate ticket to SMF (preferable) or RNO (less OK).

most of the DL/UA/AA options leave too early as UA199 arrives at 3:55pm.

best option looks like WN to SMF at 5:50pm, is this doable with a 3:55pm arrival on UA?

we have global entry & precheck.

Otherwise it looks like we are waiting until ~8pm for a UA/DL flight, this is highly undesirable after flying CHC-AKL-BKK-PVG-LAX with a 14 hour layover in PVG
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
arriving from PVG on UA199 and need to grab a separate ticket to SMF (preferable) or RNO (less OK).

most of the DL/UA/AA options leave too early as UA199 arrives at 3:55pm.

best option looks like WN to SMF at 5:50pm, is this doable with a 3:55pm arrival on UA?

we have global entry & precheck.

Otherwise it looks like we are waiting until ~8pm for a UA/DL flight, this is highly undesirable after flying CHC-AKL-BKK-PVG-LAX with a 14 hour layover in PVG
Jeebus... did you do that routing on purpose?

2 hours to make it thru immigration and customs (even with GE), follow by transfer to the other side of LAX, and then try to clear TSA at T1 at the busiest time of the day is at best a long shot. Realistically, you'll have to be at T1 45 minutes before boarding call (I'm assuming you have checked luggage) so my guess is you are not going to make it.

I would give it a try if you don't mind spending a night at LAX in case you miss the flight. You odds increase considerably if you have no checked luggage.

Personally, I would book that later UA flight and enjoy my time at the lounge. You don't need to leave the terminal and UA will tag your bags all the way home. You just need to recheck them after customs.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by bzcat
Jeebus... did you do that routing on purpose?
award availability at ~peak travel time from NZ to USA. hopefully close to departure i will be able to improve it and at least get it changed to AKL-PVG-LAX.

appreciate the input on making the 6pm WN flight. we might give it a go since there should still be two other WN options that night if we miss it (one at ~7:30 and another at ~9:15). prefer to fly WN or DL for free bags since we'll have a bunch of luggage.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
All,

I need some advice on this routing.

Outbound

AUS- LAX (United first) landing at 946 PM
LAX - RAR (NZ business) leaving at 1159 PM

Return

LAX - RAR (NZ business) landing at 1130 AM
LAX - AUS (United first) leaving at 210 PM

Is this doable? They are on different record locators. We are checking bags and have global entry/TSA pre check.

Thanks
NDTraveler
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:17 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I wouldn't be worried about the inbound as there are always options you could switch to if something went wrong. The outbound is a bit of a different story. If AUS-LAX goes tits up there's little you'll be able to do and the separate tickets and bags issue worries me a lot. I'd do what I could to get to LAX earlier.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as I can tell, and someone please correct me ASAP if I'm wrong, United will check bags through to another airline, even in cases of separate tickets and PNR's, so long as it is a Star Alliance partner which Air New Zealand is. You should verify this in the United forum to be absolutely sure.

It that's still the case, you're OK on the outbound.

At under two hours with checked luggage, the inbound is too tight for my taste.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 22, 2015 at 12:08 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
All,

I need some advice on this routing.

Outbound

AUS- LAX (United first) landing at 946 PM
LAX - RAR (NZ business) leaving at 1159 PM

Return

LAX - RAR (NZ business) landing at 1130 AM
LAX - AUS (United first) leaving at 210 PM

Is this doable? They are on different record locators. We are checking bags and have global entry/TSA pre check.

Thanks
NDTraveler
As long as your bags are checked through to RAR on the outbound, you're OK. Just don't mess around on arrival in LAX, go straight to the NZ gate. I believe NZ is still using T2, in which case your best bet is to walk across via "East Way" on the arrivals level next to the parking garages.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by debracey
As long as your bags are checked through to RAR on the outbound, you're OK. Just don't mess around on arrival in LAX, go straight to the NZ gate. I believe NZ is still using T2, in which case your best bet is to walk across via "East Way" on the arrivals level next to the parking garages.
NZ moved to TBIT in Dec 2014. CA is next, in July 2015. The only remaining airlines will be Mexican carriers and Avianca which need CBP, and Canadian and Hawaiian.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:38 pm

United will check my bags through. I also checked and the minimum connect time is 1.5 hours for UA to NZ.

UA GS desk seems to think this should be easy and not be an issue. They told me that if the flight is delayed they will reroute me but I wanted to check with others who are more knowledgeable about LAX.

From what I read it should only takes about 20 minutes from when we get to the gate to get to TBIT. Is that accurate?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
United will check my bags through. I also checked and the minimum connect time is 1.5 hours for UA to NZ.

UA GS desk seems to think this should be easy and not be an issue. They told me that if the flight is delayed they will reroute me but I wanted to check with others who are more knowledgeable about LAX.

From what I read it should only takes about 20 minutes from when we get to the gate to get to TBIT. Is that accurate?
More or less, be sure to exit T6/T7 at the *departure* (upper) level for a much more pleasant walk to TBIT. You will have to reclear security in TBIT. There are some airside shuttles to TBIT from T4/T5 (which you could walk to airside), but they're airline specific and I don't think you'll be able to use them.

As far as UA rerouting you, don't hold your breath. It's gonna be a huge headache and will likely be 24 hours later or via a very undesirable routing (perhaps LAX--HNL--SYD--RAR). Show up at AUS early and ask nicely (but firmly and without backing down) to be put on an earlier flight to LAX if things look bad.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:40 pm

The walking distance between the exit from T7 to the entrance to TBIT is approximately half a mile. The inter terminal shuttle is not likely to save you anytime because it runs only every ten minutes, and the route is longer - traffic on World Way moves in only one direction, counterclockwise - and very congested.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:26 pm

Thanks for the info!

This is a paid first ticket on United and the GS folks told me they would take care of me if any issue comes up and they have done a great job in the past.

Tracking some of the AUS- LAX flights, it looks like they are coming into T8, gate 87 or so. Does that change anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.