Reload this Page >

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Below is a link to the 2014 thread. Much information there remains relevant, but to keep it from getting too long, this is your 2015 thread.
TWA884
Print Wikipost

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:21 am

Thanks for your replies.

I spoke to the delta staff again and she said that if NRT-LAX flight is delayed, they will put me on the next available flight. I asked them what happens if I cannot complete immigration. She said, once I am at the immigration counter, I should tell them that I have a connecting flight and try to cut the queue. If I still miss the flight, they will review the situation and decide whether to put me on the next flight. What does that mean? Getting the next available flight is not a sure bet?

Also, I don't have either Global Entry, neither do I belong to a visa waived country. Do you think it will make a big difference if I have only carry on luggage with me?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
These situations are quite common.

You should be flagged by the airline for having a tight connection. An agent should meet your flight and hand you and similarly situated passengers orange ticket jackets that will identify you as travellers with short connections to speed your way through the line for immigration and customs processing.

If you were to miss your flight, Delta will place you on a later flight. You will get to Phoenix.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
If you missed your connection at LAX, Delta's first choice is to put you on another Delta flight to PHX later in the day. So it's good that you are arriving at LAX early in the day. Delta's second choice is to put you on another airline (e.g. American) that has more flights to PHX. It's up to them which way they will handle it but you will get to PHX one way or another.

But follow TWA884's advice... when you get off your NRT-LAX flight, look for Delta staff handing out transit priority pass. It will let you get in the shorter immigration line.

And yes, it will help you very much to have carry on luggage only. This means you don't need to wait for luggage to come out after your clear immigration. You can head directly to custom counter and exit the secured area. Luggage could take a long time to come out, especially if you are a transit passenger at NRT... your bags from SIN would be all the way in the first luggage cart, which will come out last.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by sb29
I spoke to the delta staff again and she said that if NRT-LAX flight is delayed, they will put me on the next available flight. I asked them what happens if I cannot complete immigration. She said, once I am at the immigration counter, I should tell them that I have a connecting flight and try to cut the queue. If I still miss the flight, they will review the situation and decide whether to put me on the next flight. What does that mean? Getting the next available flight is not a sure bet?
In practice the problem is not policy but availability. In case of misconnect, the number of passengers needing a seat could exceed available seats.

To be proactive, here is what I would suggest. When you arrive at NRT, stop at the "flight connections" or similarly named facility and talk to Delta rep. If NRT-LAX is delayed, and perhaps even if it is not delayed, ask them to confirm you to a later flight. If they agree, fine; if not, you haven't lost anything.

It seems trivial, but go to bathroom etc in the plane, so you won't have to waste precious minutes at LAX. Look for a Delta rep as soon as you exit the plane. They might be giving out orange cards that will expedite your passage through immigration. Then walk as fast as possible to immigration. Keep waving your orange card if they gave you one.

Do you think it will make a big difference if I have only carry on luggage with me?
Yes, in a tight connection it can make a huge difference if you only have carry-ons, no checked luggage.

Last edited by aktchi; Jan 29, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Moderator2
Originally Posted by flyinDawgie
HI! I'm having trouble finding CURRENT info on the best way to get from Terminal 4 to Tom Bradley Intl Terminal. What is the FASTEST way to catch my 930pm flight to fiji? I know the new tunnel or whatever isn't open yet and there is a Qantas shuttle but only for Qantas passengers. Is there an AA or Fiji airlines shuttle I can take? Is it faster to walk/sprint? How far is it? How long does it take? Directions? Should I take a cab? How long will that take? Is the road outside really 1 way, so that I'd have to drive all the way around the entire airport to get to TBIT??

Do i have to go thru security again? Is there a separate line for first class passengers? Is this line usually busy at this time of the evening on a weekday?

I won't have any luggage, just me, running thru the airport like a madman.

THANKS!!
The issue isn't distance, as Terminal 4 is adjacent to Bradley. Even if you are deep in the bowels of T-4 when you exit your flight, it should be 5-7 minutes walk. As you leave American, just turn to you left and start walking. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...ns-thread.html

From a practical standpoint the connection time is a high risk, and depending if you have to stop at the check-in counter for the Fiji flight, you may not have enough time to legally connect (Fiji has a 60 minute cut-off). You will not be able to move from Terminal 4 to Bradley in a secure area. Security wait times at Bradley are generally decent, but assume it could take 20 minutes to get through security and to the departure gate. Bradley is a very big place, and that is a very busy time of the day in that terminal.

The type of connection you are attempting, should be 90 minutes minimum, IMO.

Note some AA flights are now arriving at Terminal 6. If your flight were to arrive there, you need to add ten minutes to your commute.
fyi made it in less than 25 minutes, thank goodness!

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 2, 2015 at 3:00 pm Reason: add context after thread merger
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Help getting around LAX

I'm flying IAH-LAX on UA this Saturday, then LAX-AKL-SYD on NZ. I should have booked all flights through *Alliance, but did not; thus I have one PNR for the UA flight, and another for NZ. I don't plan to check luggage all the way through IAH-SYD, fearful that I wouldn't get bags when I land at SYD -- thus I will be exiting security at LAX, collecting checked luggage, then navigating to the international terminal at LAX to recheck luggage with NZ.

I've looked at the terminal map and realize I'll come into Terminal 7 for UA then will have a hike to the TBIT. I'd rather take the hike than mess with a shuttle trying to manage multiple bags. My questions: 1) is it a straight indoor shot between T7 and TBIT? 2) how long should the trek take? I do have a nice 5 hour layover, but I'd still like to know what to expect. TIA for any help with this!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:49 pm
msm

The walk from T7 to TBIT is outdoors - a smooth, clean, reasonably wide walkway. Impossible to get lost.

LAX has two levels - below for baggage claim and arrivals; above for departures. If you leave baggage claim and make a left turn upon exiting T7, you can walk to TBIT. You will be outdoors, but covered i.e. protected from rain.

Or, take the elevator up one level to Departures and get a little bit of sun on the walk from T7 to TBIT.

It is a short walk. could not be more than 500 meters.

I travel with some combination of briefcase, backpack, and 21" or 25" bag on casters. I would not hesitate to walk.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:51 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this query pertains to one destination/airport, we'll shift this over to the Los Angeles forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by Alex
I'm flying IAH-LAX on UA this Saturday, then LAX-AKL-SYD on NZ. I should have booked all flights through *Alliance, but did not; thus I have one PNR for the UA flight, and another for NZ. I don't plan to check luggage all the way through IAH-SYD, fearful that I wouldn't get bags when I land at SYD -- thus I will be exiting security at LAX, collecting checked luggage, then navigating to the international terminal at LAX to recheck luggage with NZ.

I've looked at the terminal map and realize I'll come into Terminal 7 for UA then will have a hike to the TBIT. I'd rather take the hike than mess with a shuttle trying to manage multiple bags. My questions: 1) is it a straight indoor shot between T7 and TBIT? 2) how long should the trek take? I do have a nice 5 hour layover, but I'd still like to know what to expect. TIA for any help with this!
Definitely walk it on the departure level as the previous poster suggests. If it's raining you can walk on the arrival (lower) level, but that isn't as nice and is typically smokey (car fumes, etc.)

The walk, while less than 500M, is not exactly short. It will probably take about 10-15 minutes walking at a slow/steady pace. But you have more than enough time, so nothing to worry about.

On a different note, UA should check your bags all the way to SYD if you want -- even though it's on different PNRs -- they have an interline agreement with NZ, so it should be no big deal provided you have your boarding pass with NZ handy at checkin with UA. I once interlined a bag from Norfolk, VA to Australia across US Air & United (using a *handwritten* tag, US Air couldn't print a tag with 4 connections...) and it came out just fine in SYD.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Well, it may just rain this Saturday.

Multiple bags may necessitate a trolley which will cost money since you're arriving domestic. Is it $4 or $5 or higher these days?

The chance of losing a bag with a long layover is very minimal, but the same cannot be said about contents. LAX is not exactly safe behind the scene, especially due to remote purchasing (to a degree, smuggling) industry from China. For contents to be safe, avoid early checking to China.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum 1/ Chairmans Lounge
Hi guys,
I have a trip booked to Miami and was wondering if 3.5 hours is enough time to connect.
Qf93 arriving at 7:10
AA909 departing at 10:39.
It will be booked in business to Lax and "First" to Miami
Last time I was on Qf93 we were delayed by half an hour.
Please Help
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by elp006
Hi guys,
I have a trip booked to Miami and was wondering if 3.5 hours is enough time to connect.
Please Help
You should be fine with 3.5 hours.

Worse case scenario, if you miss your AA flight, AA will protect you on a later flight:
oneworld Global Support

Connecting between airlines at unfamiliar airports can be a stressful experience, especially if your flight is delayed. American Airlines recognizes the impact delays and missed connections can have on your plans and on your life. That is why we partnered with the other oneworld member airlines to form teams of connection experts: oneworld Global Support.

At select airports across the alliance network, teams are proactively monitoring connecting flights and, whenever possible, they will meet and assist you if your connection is in jeopardy. The oneworld Global Support teams will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security to help you catch your next flight. Our teams will also do everything possible to transfer your baggage so that it makes it on time to your final destination.

If you miss your connecting flight, the oneworld Global Support team will provide you with updated travel information, a new boarding pass and, where applicable, assistance with overnight accommodations.

oneworld Global Support is currently available at London Heathrow, Madrid-Barajas, New York JFK, Miami, Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles and Sydney. The service is offered at these airports whenever possible, subject to operational constraints.

And:

oneworld - Separate Tickets

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by elp006
Hi guys,
Please Help
Should be fine, just dont bring anything to the US that will cause an issue at Customs (e.g., Food).

-- Dan
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:13 am

Need Advice - Return International Flight via LAX

Hello All -

I am hoping you can provide some advice in regards to chosing a flight.

My wife and I are going to Bora Bora and will be returning on Sunday, March 29th via LAX. (final destination back to Minneapolis).

We arrive at LAX via Air Tahiti at11:10 a.m.. We are looking at two connecting flight options on Delta. The first is at 1:15 p.m. and the second is at 3:30p.m.

- we both have Global Entry and TSA pre-check.
- we will be checking bags.

I have read older posts that 2 hours isn't enough time but that seems to be before all the additional kiosks and haven't taken into account GE and pre-check.

Thoughts on making the 1:10 flight? Is two hours enough time?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
2 hours is probably the minimum I would be comfortable with if you booked your TN and DL flights together on the same record number. If they are separate bookings, I strongly suggest you book the later flight.

Immigration at LAX is a lot better now days with kiosks but don't forget about customs... Here are the things you need to consider:

First, it takes about 15 minutes to taxi to TBIT from scheduled arrival time. So you are not arriving at the gate at 11:10. More like 11:25 AM.

Second, it takes about 10 minutes to walk at a fast pace from one of the near side gate at TBIT to the immigration hall. More time if you deplane at one of the far side gate.

Third, even if you speed thru immigration, the bottleneck is customs. LAX ground services is not known for speedy bag delivery so you may have to wait for your checked bags to come out. With GE, it may take you 5 minutes to get through immigration and you will almost surely beat your bags out to the luggage area. The wait could be 15 minutes if you are flying Business Class, or it could be 45 minutes if your bags is stuck all the way back in the back of the cargo hold. Then you line up to go pass customs, which doesn't have a priority lane. It helps if you are not declaring anything but the line could still be quite long since there are several other arrivals at TBIT during that time frame.

Once you exit custom, you can re-check your bags for the DL flight. You then exit TBIT and walk to T5. That is a 10~15 minute walk. If you are DL elite or pre-check, you can get through the TSA screening fairly quick but I would still budget for 10 minutes at the very least.

So if everything goes smoothly, you will arrive at your T5 departure gate in about 70 minutes after scheduled touch down time - around 12:20 PM - just in time for early boarding of the 1:15 PM flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.