Reload this Page >

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Below is a link to the 2014 thread. Much information there remains relevant, but to keep it from getting too long, this is your 2015 thread.
TWA884
Print Wikipost

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:33 pm

Yes it will be fine. You will likely clear US customs in Canada. You also have to exit Terminal 2 at LAX anyway as the onward flight is from a different terminal - so the airlines won't know or care what you do during the layover.

I'm not sure why Air New Zealand is involved - or are you taking United to some other U.S. city to pick up a flight to Auckland?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:34 pm

Sunny you should have no problems taking an excursion outside the airport.

I'm pretty sure you traveling on the United operated flight ticketed on an Air New Zealand codeshare (flight NZ9839), correct?

Air Canada arrives in Terminal 2 and the United Flight will depart terminal 7. You would be required to change terminals in any event. Get both boarding passes, you will pre-clear US customs in YYZ and then will arrive in LAX with no security or immigration to clear. Go grab some In-N-Out, look around and come back around 8:30 to clear security for your flight onto SYD.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unless I'm missing something, it appears that nz has nothing whatsoever to do with your flights from an operational standpoint? Did you try calling AC?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The agent is mistaken. On AC's flight from YYZ to LAX, you will clear U.S. Immigration and Customs at YYZ, not at LAX.

Just make sure that you are eligible to be admitted to the U.S., lest you be turned away at the U.S. preclearance facility at YYZ. What is your citizenship, and on which country's passport will you be traveling?

And when you return to LAX, you will not go through either Customs or Immigration. There are no exit formalities when departing from the U.S., although there can be occasional checks of departing passengers to make sure that they are not carrying large amounts of undeclared cash or cash equivalents.

Last edited by guv1976; Sep 9, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
And note that AC will arrive at T-2 and UA will leave from T-7/8. They are not close together and would require you to exit the terminal in any case. If you leave the airport, remember to return to T-7, not from where you left. Security at T-7 can be busy so leave plenty of time.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:10 pm

Thank you all so much for your replies! Very helpful!

So you guys are all right. According to my iteniary I am arriving T2 and departing T7. Ill address everyones questions below because I dont know how to answer all individually

I bought my ticket through a 3rd party agent and when I got it .. thats how i got it.. it has a NZ ticket number when I called NZ they gave me a UA booking number as well but she said it is a NZ booking...

NZ is involved because when my departing flight is YYZ - LAX - SYD but when I come back it is OOL (GOLD COAST AUSTRALIA) - AUCKLAND - YVR- YYZ..

It is NZ9839. You are correct..

I didnt try calling AC.. I will now.

Im a canadian citizen and have a canadian passport...

When I called NZ they said when I get to YYZ airport... I need to go to Air Canada and tell them that I am planning on leaving LAX. Once at LAX I leave and then leave the airport and then get boarding pass from United airlines departures at LAX airport. This would be so dum and time consuming... That is why I am planning on just getting both boarding passes and then coming and going to T7...

From what I said above do I have anything to worry about? I dont want to get flagged or something I paid a pretty penny for this ticket and wouldnt mind cautioning on safe side....
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Sunny123456
Thank you all so much for your replies! Very helpful!

So you guys are all right. According to my iteniary I am arriving T2 and departing T7. Ill address everyones questions below because I dont know how to answer all individually

I bought my ticket through a 3rd party agent and when I got it .. thats how i got it.. it has a NZ ticket number when I called NZ they gave me a UA booking number as well but she said it is a NZ booking...

NZ is involved because when my departing flight is YYZ - LAX - SYD but when I come back it is OOL (GOLD COAST AUSTRALIA) - AUCKLAND - YVR- YYZ..

It is NZ9839. You are correct..

I didnt try calling AC.. I will now.

Im a canadian citizen and have a canadian passport...

When I called NZ they said when I get to YYZ airport... I need to go to Air Canada and tell them that I am planning on leaving LAX. Once at LAX I leave and then leave the airport and then get boarding pass from United airlines departures at LAX airport. This would be so dum and time consuming... That is why I am planning on just getting both boarding passes and then coming and going to T7...

From what I said above do I have anything to worry about? I dont want to get flagged or something I paid a pretty penny for this ticket and wouldnt mind cautioning on safe side....
As mentioned by other posters earlier, get all your boarding passes of your flights up to your final destination. Whatever you will do in between flights (i.e., doing a side activity in LAX) will be at your own discretion and not that of the airline. However, make sure that you get to LAX in time for your next flight. When I connect through TYO (HND or NRT), I sometimes make a longer connection in order to have time to visit Tokyo and I am not telling the airlines what I will be doing during the long layover. So, you are good with your plan. Have a safe trip and enjoy!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
No luggage. Your short trip might then look interesting to custom agents who might want a chat.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
No luggage. Your short trip might then look interesting to custom agents who might want a chat.
yeah good point but i got nothing to hide...

My plan is when I am at YYZ and i talk to the custom agents I am going to tell him abt my long layover and if I am allowed to do it... If they say yes sure I am going to do it...

Thats all the precautions I am going to take...

Good idea?

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I wouldn't bring up the plan to go out touring unless asked what you're planning to do with "such a long layover".

My plan is when I am at YYZ and i talk to the custom agents I am going to tell him abt my long layover and if I am allowed to do it... If they say yes sure I am going to do it...

Good idea?

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Sure - since May last year, all a passenger needs to go airside at any terminal is the BP for their same day departing flight and their ID, regardless of the flight's actual terminal.
Ah, interesting! What is BP?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Dcc Df
Ah, interesting! What is BP?
Boarding Pass.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I wouldn't bring up the plan to go out touring unless asked what you're planning to do with "such a long layover".
+1

Just answer their questions. Once you are cleared you are free to enter the USA. As a Canadian you will be issued a B-1 or B-2 visa.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Good idea?

Thanks!
No need to ask anyone anything. At LAX you need to do a terminal change that puts you landside, meaning you'll be in the U.S. Actually,that will happen when you clear US customs at YYZ. At LAX just walk off the plane and do whatever you want to until you need to appear for your UA flight. You'll check in with AC at YYZ and they should issue all BPs then. Just go with the flow.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum

Good thing you came onto FT, the NZ agent was completely misspending you with incorrect information.

For starters, you will need the UA Boarding pass for LAX- SYD to get through customs and immigration at YYZ. The BP is proof of onward travel. The U.S. CBP agent will be looking for proof of onward travel, while an itinerary or ticket is also acceptable, a BP is the best piece of evidence.

Also, when the OP fills out advance passenger information system (APIS) at Checkin and on the blue USCBP form, they should enter "Connection to UA 123" into the address field for first night stay. The USCBP officer will look at this information and ask for BP or other proof of onward travel. Once the BP is inspected, the OP will be on their way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.