Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint, a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2016 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 2 June 2016 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
TBIT Security Lines

We'll be connecting international to international at LAX next month. Arriving from CUN and connecting to Eva Airways to Taipei. (We have PreCheck, though I know TBIT does not have dedicated PreCheck lanes, and I doubt EVA will recognize or print our PreCheck on the Eva boarding pass.) We are *Gold and may be in business class.

What is TBIT security like around 8-9pm on Sunday nights? Can anyone speak from experience?

Are there separate lines for Star Alliance Gold or business class passengers?

Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:25 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
We'll be connecting international to international at LAX next month. Arriving from CUN and connecting to Eva Airways to Taipei. (We have PreCheck, though I know TBIT does not have dedicated PreCheck lanes, and I doubt EVA will recognize or print our PreCheck on the Eva boarding pass.) We are *Gold and may be in business class.

What is TBIT security like around 8-9pm on Sunday nights? Can anyone speak from experience?

Thanks.
8 - 9 pm is amongst the busiest time at TBIT.

EVA is not a Pre✓ participating airline, so even if there were Pre✓ lanes at TBIT your boarding pass would not have the Pre✓ designation.

The good news now that the TBIT T4 connector is open, you can clear security at any of the terminals on the south side of the airport and proceed to TBIT airside.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by TWA884
8 - 9 pm is amongst the busiest time at TBIT.

EVA is not a Pre✓ participating airline, so even if there were Pre✓ lanes at TBIT your boarding pass would not have the Pre✓ designation.

The good news now that the TBIT T4 connector is open, you can clear security at any of the terminals on the south side of the airport and proceed to TBIT airside.
Thanks for the confirmation of my worst fears

Are there priority lines at TBIT for *Gold or Business Class? Are they any better?

Last edited by NgatesSEA; Mar 13, 2016 at 7:24 pm
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aengelhardt101
Hi guys!

I will be flying from SYD to LAX on the 18th of March, flight AA72 arriving at 06:50am.
I have a 3hr 10 minute connection time to my flight AA2090 TO Nashville.

Is this enough time to clear immigration/pick up luggage/clear customs?
Is the time I arrive a busy time with lots of flights?

Thanks!
3 hours is enough time to clear immigration and custom and make your flight on a single AA ticket. You should be fine.

Immigration will be a little busy and may have lines for foreigner visitors (several flights from Australia and Asia land around that time) but if you are US citizen, you will go through the self-service kiosks which move fast.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Thanks for the confirmation of my worst fears

Are there priority lines at TBIT for *Gold or Business Class? Are they any better?
There are no priority lanes at TBIT. There are no pre-check lanes either.

Everyone get in the same 2 lines (one north of check in hall, one south) which funnels you to about 20 TSA lanes on either side. It's usually not a long wait.

The only skip ahead line is for crew and employees.

If you are OneWorld elite, you can use the T4 TSA which may have shorter lines for elites but by the time you walked all the way from the back of TBIT to T4 TSA, you most likely would have cleared TSA in TBIT.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL

Thanks.
Last time I embarked international at TBIT (December 2015) there was in fact a business/first premium lane at TBIT security, but it was closed in the morning. I couldn't say how well it works- it looked like it fed back into the same screening lines near/before ID check but I couldn't tell.

As was pointed out, you could clear security at T4 (AA) T5 (DL) or T6/7 (UA/AS) and walk airside to TBIT. T4 is the closest from TBIT if you are checking in at TBIT for the EVA flight.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by fanger

As was pointed out, you could clear security at T4 (AA) T5 (DL) or T6/7 (UA/AS) and walk airside to TBIT. T4 is the closest from TBIT if you are checking in at TBIT for the EVA flight.
And if you do decide to try T4 and there's a line at the bottom of the escalators, you should take the elevator from the check-in level to the departures level. The elevator is located inside, but where the end of the skybridge would be, in the middle part of the building. This will bypass the escalator dragons.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: *G, Asiana, Hertz
TBIT - T7 Connection Question

I am flying into TBIT (Asiana Seoul) and transferring to terminal 7 (United). So just so I understand, my bags will be checked through to my final destination. But upon exiting the my Asiana flight from Seoul at TBIT I will go through Immigration-Customs-Pick up my bags-Recheck them and then continue to terminal 7 without going through security again? leaving in 2 days
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:44 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by TCBaek
I am flying into TBIT (Asiana Seoul) and transferring to terminal 7 (United). So just so I understand, my bags will be checked through to my final destination. But upon exiting the my Asiana flight from Seoul at TBIT I will go through Immigration-Customs-Pick up my bags-Recheck them and then continue to terminal 7 without going through security again? leaving in 2 days
After going through customs & immigration, you ALWAYS have to go through security again as you have had access to checked luggage which could contain items which are not allowed on board aircraft.

Greg
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:45 am

No. You will have to re-clear security after Immigration and Customs.

Remember, they allow guns and other weapons in checked bags. Once "reunited" with your checked bags, you always have to re-clear security.

Last edited by zachary; Mar 29, 2016 at 7:46 am Reason: Edited to add: GregL beat me to the answer
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by GregL
After going through customs & immigration, you ALWAYS have to go through security again as you have had access to checked luggage which could contain items which are not allowed on board aircraft.
To amplify, the only difference the connector makes in this particular case is you can clear security at TBIT immediately after clearing Customs and then walk from TBIT to T7 airside instead of landside. Personally, I'd check the security lines at TBIT; if they're short, clear there, if not, walk past the checkpoints at T4, T5, T6, and T7 and clear at the first one with a line that looks fairly short.

But this isn't relevant to American Airlines at all.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by zachary
No. You will have to re-clear security after Immigration and Customs.

Remember, they allow guns and other weapons in checked bags. Once "reunited" with your checked bags, you always have to re-clear security.
Thanks! But the rechecking of my bags happens in TBIT and then I go through security again at Terminal 7? Im going to have a two year old with me, so Im just trying to get everything settled before I head out!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Thanks! But the rechecking of my bags happens in TBIT and then I go through security again at Terminal 7? Im going to have a two year old with me, so Im just trying to get everything settled before I head out!
Yes. (Well, you could lug your bags with you from TBIT to the United check-in desks at Terminal 7, but that would be silly.) There will be a conveyer belt after Customs at TBIT; you can place your checked bags there and not deal with them any more, assuming Asiana tagged them through to your final destination, which they should.

See my comment above (probably posted while you were typing) about clearing security.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:59 am

Oh shoot, I thought this was the general LAX connection forum...Please delete...but thank you for the help! It was much appreciated...
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:17 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Oh shoot, I thought this was the general LAX connection forum...Please delete...but thank you for the help! It was much appreciated...
It's taken care of. It's now in the right forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.