Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

A photo history of nightmare LAX travel, from 1928

A photo history of nightmare LAX travel, from 1928

Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by dhuey
Thanks, but I get "Sorry, that page was not found" when I click the link.
Sorry, I forgot that FT's vigilant automatic censor removes four-letter words even from URLs that don't display. I've updated the link. Be aware that the title of the page I've linked to (but not its contents) is slightly NSFW.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thanks, but I get "Sorry, that page was not found" when I click the link.
The plans are outlined here:
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:58 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA884
The airport was built primarily for O&D traffic, not as a connecting hub. I remember when there were only six terminals in the late sixties. T2 was the international terminal, Pan Am and National also operated from there, T3 was primarily TWA, T4 American, T5 Western, T6 Continental and T7 United. I don't recall where PSA was located; probably with WA or CO. Other smaller operators, such as Braniff and Delta, were scattered around.
PSA was in T-6.

Do you recall the history of car rental facilities at LAX? I'm curious if they used to be located in the parking area surrounded by the terminals.
Prior to the construction of the second level roadway (construction began in mid-1982) the car rental lots were in the center area where the parking garages are located today.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Thanks for the info., folks.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danville 1K
Prior to the construction of the second level roadway (construction began in mid-1982) the car rental lots were in the center area where the parking garages are located today.
I've done some additional research and found a great source in the Daily Breeze Blogs:
South Bay History - Passenger service at LAX

When the present terminal area opened in 1961, the parking structures were not yet built and the central area was used for surface parking.

Here is a photo of the central terminal area taken in 1961 with a view to the east:

By 1971, some of the parking structures were built as seen in this photo of United's T7:

By the time that this photo was taken in 1976, there were also parking structures opposite terminals 3, 4 and 5. Notice that the area presently occupied by T1 - at the center right of the photo - was used for surface parking:

Construction of the parking structures opposite terminals 1, 2, and TBIT commenced in 1981 when work started on building the upper roadway, T1 and TBIT.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 25, 2021 at 11:57 am Reason: Upload photos to replace non-working links
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Very busy day at LAX today. I was noticing how badly designed the roadways are. A very long, slow line of cars crawled into the terminals area. No matter which terminal you wanted, you had to go past T1 (Southwest). That needlessly created a bottleneck that looked to be about 30 minutes of crawling just to get into the terminals area.

Fortunately, my Uber driver knew that the 96th Street on ramp would be much faster.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 12:05 pm

Posted on Facebook by a friend, a retired TWA/AA ramp services employee.

LAX circa 1970, T2 - the international terminal - and T3 - TWA - in the center of the photo.

Old Aug 25, 2021, 12:31 pm

Numerous additional photos and a lot of historical data in this AirportHistory.org article:
mradey likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dlaue
Also, I remember when the parking at LAX was a ground level asphalt lot with 25 cent parking meters.
Something like these shots show?

Source: Photo Feature: LAX in the 1960s - Part 1

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.