Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Best "bang-for-your-buck" rental car company at LAX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:45 am
Original Poster

need to rent a car for 10 days. don't want a super compact vehicle but also don't want to spend >$50/day.

best bets?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by njfastlife
need to rent a car for 10 days. don't want a super compact vehicle but also don't want to spend >$50/day.

best bets?
Autoslash.com
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by njfastlife

best bets?
I've rented from a wide variety of LAX agencies. They are all among the worst I've dealt with anywhere -- don't expect good service and you won't be disappointed.

I recommend the big-name agency with the best price that's closest to the airport (they're all off-airport). Hertz and Avis typically have much more frequent shuttle-bus service. My last rental was from Hertz and, other than an unusually long wait for the shuttle, was the nearest experience to what I'd expect at any other airport. I had started with a reservation from Dollar, and was relieved when Hertz's price dropped to below Dollar's. Be sure to check within a day or two of your arrival -- you may find a much lower price.

I don't think I've ever paid over $30/day at LAX. My last car, a sub-compact from Hertz, was under $20/day. IIRR, I could have had a bigger car for just a few dollars more.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:02 am

Try Priceline too
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium

It really depends on your rental dates and eligibility for discounts. Book a refundable reservation and keep checking prices.

One benefit of renting at LAX is that it's a huge station with lots of vehicles to rent. Check the individual car rental forums here on FT for location reviews.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ctnrsm
Try Priceline too
I've had reasonable success w Hotwire, but I'll always make sure that the quote is from an actual company and not the blind "company will be disclosed after booking" ... yes I've taken a couple from Payless, but in all candor, for a day or two a rental car is a rental car
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:05 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Deleted in favor of co-moderator's post below.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 27, 2015 at 9:06 am Reason: See note above.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:05 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Let's move this to the Los Angeles forum, where the experts there may be able to chime in with any tips for LAX car rentals.

Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
If you're a Costco member, check out Costco Travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.