Reload this Page >

LAX survey for offsite transit center disguised as game

Old Jun 26, 15, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AGR, UA, AA

http://beatlaxtraffic.com/

Basically LA World Airports is trying to gather feedback on how people pick up/drop off others and get to LAX. There is an intermodal transit facility which will be built east of Lot C and served by a landside people mover, which will also serve the Metro Rail, so they are looking for what it will take to get people from not circling the airport to pick people up.
Old Jun 28, 15, 4:07 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

If I were in charge I would just ban private cars from the terminal loop unless they have a handicapped placard. Everyone else can pick up at the transit facility. Then, I would let the city buses go to each terminal, because they will make better use of the limited lane space.

Clearly, however, I am not in charge here :O
Old Jun 30, 15, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
If I were in charge I would just ban private cars from the terminal loop unless they have a handicapped placard. Everyone else can pick up at the transit facility. Then, I would let the city buses go to each terminal, because they will make better use of the limited lane space.

Clearly, however, I am not in charge here :O
That was thought also, at least initially, but then do folks have to haul their luggage to/from the transit center to the check-in counters and arrival areas? Seems like it could turn into a mess.

ATL has a somewhat similar set-up with the monorail to the car rental facility and I absolutely despise it!
Old Jun 30, 15, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
That was thought also, at least initially, but then do folks have to haul their luggage to/from the transit center to the check-in counters and arrival areas? Seems like it could turn into a mess.
If luggage carts are provided at the transit center, and the people-mover comes frequently enough, I don't see any problem. It might even be easier to have the people-mover drop you off, with your luggage, right near the check-in counters instead of having to haul your luggage inside from the curb.

Currently, city buses drop you off at a transit center, because there isn't enough room for them on the airport loop road due to all the private cars. It should be the other way around, because the buses hold more people and would make more efficient use of the street space.
Old Jun 30, 15, 7:55 pm

If they just built a metro stop that actually connected with LAX, I think it would help both the traffic situation and the metro.

Edit - looks like that's what they are doing.
Old Jun 30, 15, 10:14 pm

People already do that from the off-airport lots and rental cars. I see a fair bit of luggage hauled around in Lot C, which isn't all that convenient-you have to take one of the roving buses to get to the depot where you switch. Other off-airport lots probably see people with more luggage.
Old Jun 30, 15, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by calwatch View Post
http://beatlaxtraffic.com/
which will also serve the Metro Rail, so they are looking for what it will take to get people from not circling the airport to pick people up.
The biggest problem with Metro Rail (worse than not going all the way to LAX!) is that they don't make all the trains intersect at a single station anywhere. So it takes four trains to go from Pasadena to the South Bay (including LAX) and ends up taking longer than driving, even at rush hour, and significantly longer in the evening or early morning. This significantly reduces its effectiveness as a commuter system.

The least traffic way to LAX from Pasadena is probably Gold Line to Union Station and take the flyaway bus. For work trips I usually travel at low traffic times and want to get home fast, so I park at the airport. For pickups at traffic times, I have them take Flyaway+Gold Line and I get them at one of the Gold Line stations.
Old Jul 1, 15, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

ATL has a somewhat similar set-up with the monorail to the car rental facility and I absolutely despise it!
SFO and EWR have a similar setup.
Old Jul 1, 15, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137 View Post
The least traffic way to LAX from Pasadena is probably Gold Line to Union Station and take the flyaway bus.
That's what I do when I don't take my car. I did the Gold->Red->Blue->Green->shuttle and back once.

[Danny Vermin] ONCE! [/Danny Vermin]
Old Jul 1, 15, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
Currently, city buses drop you off at a transit center, because there isn't enough room for them on the airport loop road due to all the private cars. It should be the other way around, because the buses hold more people and would make more efficient use of the street space.
Absolutely makes sense, but then who is more likely to have money / influence - the guy taking the bus or the guy driving?

Old Jul 1, 15, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Sooooo looking forward to any improvement in access! Hope this survey/game helps!
Old Jul 1, 15, 12:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
SFO and EWR have a similar setup.
But what SFO and EWR don't have are 8 separate terminals with minimal opportunities for cars to bypass terminals. At LAX, a car wanting to go to terminal 3 or international terminal needs to sit through people merging in and out of the curb for terminal 1 and 2, where as at EWR for example, there is a completely separate bypass road if you want to go straight to B or C.

The whole loop system at LAX is a terribly flawed design in my opinion.
Old Jul 1, 15, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA
When I go to pick someone up I just wait at In-N-Out and watch planes, dropping off I just drop them off curbside. The parking inside the terminal is free for 15 minutes, there is just never any open space. I never understand people circling around when there is plenty of places to park nearby.

I agree with drewdawg199, LAX is terrible for trying to get to TBIT, T4, and T5. It is absolutely horrible to take the Flyaway to United too since it has to go through the whole shebang. It can take over 15 minutes once you reach T1 to get to T7 on the Flyaway.

Honestly I see more airport related traffic (hotels, rental cars, shuttles) than I see cars there. DFW has a consolidated rental car shuttle that I think would take 1/4 of the traffic out. I think Enterprise and one other company share a shuttle now too.
Old Jul 1, 15, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
It is absolutely horrible to take the Flyaway to United too since it has to go through the whole shebang. It can take over 15 minutes once you reach T1 to get to T7 on the Flyaway.
Get out at T1 and walk across the top of the loop. They don't make it easy, but it is possible and isn't that bad if you just have a carry-on. If you have heavy luggage it can be difficult because there's elevation changes and elevators and escalators may or may not be along your path or working properly. A simple skyway across from 1 to 7 or 2 to 6, maybe with a moving sidewalk in each direction, would make it a lot easier.
Old Jul 1, 15, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Search this Thread