Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Where to stay 3 days near ocean after Disneyland trip

Where to stay 3 days near ocean after Disneyland trip

Old Jun 12, 15, 6:54 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 703
Where to stay 3 days near ocean after Disneyland trip

We are spending a week (wife and kids age 9 and 6) on a Disneyland trip in late September - we will stay 4 days in Anaheim to visit Disneyland then for three days we would like to relax somewhere near the ocean, preferably within an hour's drive of LAX. We have done Disneyland and San Diego before but nowhere else in southern California. I was thinking about Newport Beach or Santa Monica. Mostly just want to lay by the pool, walk on the beach, and relax or do limited sightseeing. Not looking for a hotel suggestion but an area suggestion -- where would be a good place to hang out with our family to recover from Disneyland?
trilinearmipmap is offline  
Old Jun 12, 15, 8:36 pm
  #2  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,520
Newport Beach has a lot of variety, and it could be termed the "Anti-Disneyland".
JDiver is offline  
Old Jun 12, 15, 10:11 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Santa Cruz, CA USA
Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Posts: 7,286
Laguna Beach or Santa Barbara would be my suggestions.
JerryFF is offline  
Old Jun 13, 15, 12:41 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Programs: United Plat and falling
Posts: 100
I second laguna beach - you can take the scenic drive down on the 1 (PCH). There is the mission at san juan capistrano for limited sight seeing. And the beaches are really nice. I've stayed at a few hotels in laguna niguel and laguna beach if you want suggestions.

Enjoy disney. Quick tip - I was happy to learn on my own trip with three kids this year that California Adventure serves alcohol including some great beers.
fischi is offline  
Old Jun 13, 15, 8:36 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SFO/STS
Programs: UA Plat-1MM, Hhonors Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 1,086
All of the above are good, but my favorite is Dana Point. Super safe beach for family's, lots to do, it is my nieces favorite when she spends the summer with me. Has a real "Beach Boys" casual feel to it. Enjoy!
LongingForORD is offline  
Old Jun 13, 15, 10:01 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Jupiter, FL
Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Posts: 16,761
Originally Posted by LongingForORD View Post
All of the above are good, but my favorite is Dana Point. Super safe beach for family's, lots to do, it is my nieces favorite when she spends the summer with me. Has a real "Beach Boys" casual feel to it. Enjoy!
I like this as well. Plus an easy drive (if not a weekend) up to Laguna. But nowhere near 1 hour to LAX.

Santa Monica is close to LAX and a ton to do. You can relax at the beach, great restaurants along 3rd St promenade. It is more crowded than Dana Point.
Newport is great, but hard to get a hotel near the beach.
pbiflyer is offline  
Old Jun 13, 15, 3:04 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: UA *Alliance
Posts: 3,876
Redondo Beach or Hermosa Beach should be considered also.
SWCPHX is offline  
Old Jun 14, 15, 6:11 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 703
Thanks for all replies
trilinearmipmap is offline  
Old Jun 17, 15, 9:41 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SNA, LAX, PHL, NYC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 662
+1 more for Newport Beach, Laguna Beach or Dana Point
Consultette is offline  
Old Jun 17, 15, 1:26 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,331
Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
Santa Monica is close to LAX and a ton to do. You can relax at the beach, great restaurants along 3rd St promenade.
I'd also recommend Santa Monica. I stayed at Loews Santa Monica years ago -- very nice, and on the beach.
dhuey is online now  
Old Jun 17, 15, 3:19 pm
  #11  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 11,796
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
I'd also recommend Santa Monica. I stayed at Loews Santa Monica years ago -- very nice, and on the beach.
Shutters and Casa del Mar are also right on the sand.
TWA884 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 15, 7:08 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,331
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Shutters and Casa del Mar are also right on the sand.
Also good suggestions.

It all depends on what the OP wants to do in a hotel on/near the beach. Santa Monica is a more urban beach locale. Other suggestions up and down the coast are isolated. There's way to compare these choices: it's all about the OP's preferences.
dhuey is online now  
Old Jun 19, 15, 11:19 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 703
I want to hang out and relax and enjoy a few nice meals and walks on the beach and lie by the pool. Since I am also looking to use my SPG points, I was considering Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, but since it seems to be a bit of a hike from the beach and perhaps near a sketchy part of town, I am a little reluctant to stay there so probably will pay $ and get a place around Newport Beach.
trilinearmipmap is offline  
Old Jun 20, 15, 9:51 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Jupiter, FL
Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Posts: 16,761
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
I want to hang out and relax and enjoy a few nice meals and walks on the beach and lie by the pool. Since I am also looking to use my SPG points, I was considering Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, but since it seems to be a bit of a hike from the beach and perhaps near a sketchy part of town, I am a little reluctant to stay there so probably will pay $ and get a place around Newport Beach.
We were just in Santa Monica last summer. Considered that property. Opted for a different one. Once I saw it, it was an unreasonable distance/route to the water. Glad we did not pick it.

I have Starwood, Marriott, and Hilton points. Had a lot of trouble finding a place on the water. Best one I found was a very high end, high point option in Dana Point and that still wasn't on the water.
pbiflyer is offline  
Old Jun 22, 15, 7:54 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Programs: United Plat and falling
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
I have Starwood, Marriott, and Hilton points. Had a lot of trouble finding a place on the water. Best one I found was a very high end, high point option in Dana Point and that still wasn't on the water.
California has strong public access rights to the coast. Development on the beach requires a permit from the California Coastal Commission, and they don't typically give them out. As far as I am aware there are no private beaches in California and very few hotels constructed on beach front property. But there is one in or around Laguna Beach that I have heard of. I want to say it is called Sand and Surf, or something like that.
fischi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread