FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Where to stay 3 days near ocean after Disneyland trip (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1687332-where-stay-3-days-near-ocean-after-disneyland-trip.html)

trilinearmipmap Jun 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Where to stay 3 days near ocean after Disneyland trip

We are spending a week (wife and kids age 9 and 6) on a Disneyland trip in late September - we will stay 4 days in Anaheim to visit Disneyland then for three days we would like to relax somewhere near the ocean, preferably within an hour's drive of LAX. We have done Disneyland and San Diego before but nowhere else in southern California. I was thinking about Newport Beach or Santa Monica. Mostly just want to lay by the pool, walk on the beach, and relax or do limited sightseeing. Not looking for a hotel suggestion but an area suggestion -- where would be a good place to hang out with our family to recover from Disneyland?

JDiver Jun 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Newport Beach has a lot of variety, and it could be termed the "Anti-Disneyland". ;)

JerryFF Jun 12, 2015 10:11 pm

Laguna Beach or Santa Barbara would be my suggestions.

fischi Jun 13, 2015 12:41 am

I second laguna beach - you can take the scenic drive down on the 1 (PCH). There is the mission at san juan capistrano for limited sight seeing. And the beaches are really nice. I've stayed at a few hotels in laguna niguel and laguna beach if you want suggestions.

Enjoy disney. Quick tip - I was happy to learn on my own trip with three kids this year that California Adventure serves alcohol including some great beers.

LongingForORD Jun 13, 2015 8:36 am

All of the above are good, but my favorite is Dana Point. Super safe beach for family's, lots to do, it is my nieces favorite when she spends the summer with me. Has a real "Beach Boys" casual feel to it. Enjoy!

pbiflyer Jun 13, 2015 10:01 am

Originally Posted by LongingForORD (Post 24964239)
All of the above are good, but my favorite is Dana Point. Super safe beach for family's, lots to do, it is my nieces favorite when she spends the summer with me. Has a real "Beach Boys" casual feel to it. Enjoy!

I like this as well. Plus an easy drive (if not a weekend) up to Laguna. But nowhere near 1 hour to LAX.

Santa Monica is close to LAX and a ton to do. You can relax at the beach, great restaurants along 3rd St promenade. It is more crowded than Dana Point.
Newport is great, but hard to get a hotel near the beach.

SWCPHX Jun 13, 2015 3:04 pm

Redondo Beach or Hermosa Beach should be considered also.

trilinearmipmap Jun 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Thanks for all replies

Consultette Jun 17, 2015 9:41 am

+1 more for Newport Beach, Laguna Beach or Dana Point

dhuey Jun 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer (Post 24964524)
Santa Monica is close to LAX and a ton to do. You can relax at the beach, great restaurants along 3rd St promenade.

I'd also recommend Santa Monica. I stayed at Loews Santa Monica years ago -- very nice, and on the beach.

TWA884 Jun 17, 2015 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 24986165)
I'd also recommend Santa Monica. I stayed at Loews Santa Monica years ago -- very nice, and on the beach.

Shutters and Casa del Mar are also right on the sand.

dhuey Jun 17, 2015 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 24986852)
Shutters and Casa del Mar are also right on the sand.

Also good suggestions.

It all depends on what the OP wants to do in a hotel on/near the beach. Santa Monica is a more urban beach locale. Other suggestions up and down the coast are isolated. There's way to compare these choices: it's all about the OP's preferences.

trilinearmipmap Jun 19, 2015 11:19 pm

I want to hang out and relax and enjoy a few nice meals and walks on the beach and lie by the pool. Since I am also looking to use my SPG points, I was considering Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, but since it seems to be a bit of a hike from the beach and perhaps near a sketchy part of town, I am a little reluctant to stay there so probably will pay $ and get a place around Newport Beach.

pbiflyer Jun 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap (Post 24999192)
I want to hang out and relax and enjoy a few nice meals and walks on the beach and lie by the pool. Since I am also looking to use my SPG points, I was considering Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, but since it seems to be a bit of a hike from the beach and perhaps near a sketchy part of town, I am a little reluctant to stay there so probably will pay $ and get a place around Newport Beach.

We were just in Santa Monica last summer. Considered that property. Opted for a different one. Once I saw it, it was an unreasonable distance/route to the water. Glad we did not pick it.

I have Starwood, Marriott, and Hilton points. Had a lot of trouble finding a place on the water. Best one I found was a very high end, high point option in Dana Point and that still wasn't on the water.

fischi Jun 22, 2015 7:54 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer (Post 25002796)
I have Starwood, Marriott, and Hilton points. Had a lot of trouble finding a place on the water. Best one I found was a very high end, high point option in Dana Point and that still wasn't on the water.

California has strong public access rights to the coast. Development on the beach requires a permit from the California Coastal Commission, and they don't typically give them out. As far as I am aware there are no private beaches in California and very few hotels constructed on beach front property. But there is one in or around Laguna Beach that I have heard of. I want to say it is called Sand and Surf, or something like that.